What's new

Thiers-Issard "Le Grelot" 6/8 Half-Hollow C135 Steel - Good first razor?

Different blades have different feels - like different cars have different rides - like Toyota having a firmer ride than Honda (at least to me). By crisp I am trying to describe how the harder C135 "drives" compared to a softer steel like the stainless steel J.A. Henckels used to make their Friodur razors. To each his own, but I really like C135. That said, I also like the crucible steel that Wade & Butcher used during the middle of the 19th century.
Interesting. I have read that people can feel the difference between types of hones (and the quality of edge), but never the type of steel. Thanks for the response!

I will echo some of the points others have already said.A DE or Modern cart razor is a much more automated experience than shaving with a straight razor.
Shaving with a straight really is a skill..I love it..But I do like to let people know before hand that it’s not gonna be the best shave you ever had at the start.
However that will come in time.Less irritation.More control.But it can humble you at first.I am now getting the best shaves I’ve ever had..(and enjoying it more as well)But it will take some time.My advice would be to make sure whatever razor you get that it is actually shave ready.A bad edge can just ruin the whole thing(especially at the start).

Just purchased the TI Le Grelot from Griffith. Since there was a question as to whether there were even are multiple grinds, at this point I am not sure it matters to me. It was also a bit less expensive and the reviews of his service are excellent (and I appreciate that). The knife center one looks tempting but I figured if Griffith will hone it for free and make sure it perfect, its worth the extra bucks. Can't wait for this adventure!

As @Green manalishi (as well as others in this thread) said in the last post, making sure it was shave ready seemed pretty important. Thanks!

You have a fine razor in your near future.

Good call on having it finish honed by Griffith. As you pointed out, the honer is also doing a final quality control inspection of the grind.

I have returned one TI that when I saw the grind, did not meet my standards. With an excellent 1937 in hand, I did not want to talk down TI to you, based one instance. Still, I am glad you wisely went for the extra 'insurance'. :thumbup1:

Plus, the Grelot has a nice vintage look. The packaging presents very well too, always a plus for me!

You have a fine razor in your near future.

Good call on having it finish honed by Griffith. As you pointed out, the honer is also doing a final quality control inspection of the grind.

I have returned one TI that when I saw the grind, did not meet my standards. With an excellent 1937 in hand, I did not want to talk down TI to you, based one instance. Still, I am glad you wisely went for the extra 'insurance'. :thumbup1:

Plus, the Grelot has a nice vintage look. The packaging presents very well too, always a plus for me!
Thank you my friend. I also love the vintage look. Its part of the draw for me as well!

My Le Grelot came from Griffith. It is a fantastic razor and a great starting point. Now you need a strop, but Griffith is sold out. Get one from Tony at Heirloom strops. Then you will be set for a while. Tony's strops are a great value and he sells out quickly every week and then adds new strops each week. So you will need to watch his site for new listings. You can email him as well.

My Le Grelot came from Griffith. It is a fantastic razor and a great starting point. Now you need a strop, but Griffith is sold out. Get one from Tony at Heirloom strops. Then you will be set for a while. Tony's strops are a great value and he sells out quickly every week and then adds new strops each week. So you will need to watch his site for new listings. You can email him as well.

Glad to hear I made a good choice. Thanks for the recommendation re:strops. Is there a difference in the type of edge you get from steerhide vs. horsehide? Maybe I need to do some research. Thanks.

I really appreciate this forum in general and this post in particular. I have a TI le grelot incoming from Griffiths as well as a strop from heirloom. I've recently tried an amazon cheapie and liked it so much I took the plunge! Down the rabbit hole we go..... Bas

I really appreciate this forum in general and this post in particular. I have a TI le grelot incoming from Griffiths as well as a strop from heirloom. I've recently tried an amazon cheapie and liked it so much I took the plunge! Down the rabbit hole we go..... Bas
Well done! Happy landing,unfortunately there is no bottom to this pit. It’s like continuous free fall😀

For some reason the C135 steel razors didn't float my boat. The steel is incredibly hard and takes some patience to hone. Not sure why but I just didn't bond with the TI's made from C135.

I understand. The flip side is that as its been honed by Matt at Griffith and it should keep that perfect edge for a long while. I have a gold dollar coming and some lapping film to learn how to hone less crispy steel.

Interesting. I have read that people can feel the difference between types of hones (and the quality of edge), but never the type of steel. Thanks for the response!
If someone tells you that they are not able to feel the difference between different steels, they are not paying attention. I recently got my first TI. After my first shave i felt the difference. Not better, but different. If you have ever tried a CV Heljestrand razor, they have some of the same feel.
If i had known this i would have bought a TI much sooner. I was put off buying one because of the reported geometry issues. I guess i was lucky with my TI, because the grind and the geometry is far better then any of my German razors.
My next razor will be a TI, and the reason is how the steel feels, and how well it takes a good edge.

You absolutely need a 7/8 right now, badly. Please feel free to show this msg to anyone who might need convincing. 👍🏼

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom