What's new

Electric Cars - help me understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
In many ways the plug-in hybrids are a great stop gap .. it’s the best of both worlds, electric efficiency for typical commute and/or errand distances and gas as backup and for long distances. We have a 3 row family car like this and get something like 1100 mpgE. It takes the range anxiety away and for typical usage it works as mostly like an electric. One can imagine in a few years the electric range going to say 100 miles with overnight charging and gas as a backup ( ours is 20 so we end up going gas for a bit out where we are )

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My dad grew up with horses in the streets - no cars. I can only imagine how some thought about how this new fangled car was going to replace a horse. He saw house electric current, cars, radio, tv, computers, jet planes, space flight and atomic bombs developed plus a ton of medical advances including eradication of polio and smallpox.

Someone, somewhere hopefully within a few years will solve the problem with energy efficiency. It may not be an elegant or recognizable solution. I hope those with the physics/math knowledge are moving in this direction.

Seems right for me. Dad payed horse hockey . . . so he told me ..he was born in 1919. Horses scared him a bit

Public transport is more efficient than private vehicles. Small, light vehicles are more efficient than large, heavy ones. Electric bikes are most efficient of all.

Expect to see much more of these. And a LOT less flying.

Public transport is more efficient than private vehicles. Small, light vehicles are more efficient than large, heavy ones. Electric bikes are most efficient of all.

Expect to see much more of these. And a LOT less flying.
Unfortunately, public transportation has been a bust here. No one wants to give up their cars.

I hope you meant 1000 miles.

I did mistype the mpgE .. we are getting about 1100 miles per tank which is pretty cool as it’s like monthly fill ups. The problem is the plug in hybrid ranges are like 20 miles right now. It’s basically a regular hybrid car with a commuter ( grocery getter ) distance for daily use and a 560 mile range in gas mode for a straight drive. If that 20 mile range went to like 100 miles on top of a 15 gallon tank of gas for those times you needed it, that is really a best of both worlds.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm interested, though my pension income is based at least in part on many years in the Engine & Foundry division ..

Maybe the UFOs hold the secret to sources beyond our current capabilities. Perhaps we can offer Tesla stock in return for the technology?

The overwhelming majority of experts in the scientific community agree on the fact that UFOs are powered by kerosene and cow dung.
They have computer models that confirm their facts.
The science is indisputably settled.
Trust the experts.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Unfortunately, public transportation has been a bust here. No one wants to give up their cars.
That is because public transportation here is joke. In cities like Cleveland and New York, you can get anywhere you want any via bus or train and a short walk. DFW gives you very few options of where you can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom