What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in, 61.3% complete.

I like the look of the "beagle" brushes on offer. I'm a bowl-latherer though, and should probably try a cheap soft synthetic next, to see if that makes face-lathering a good option.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

BBS face. Tried another angle for shaving my neck, and got an improved DFS result. It might even be repeatable this time!

It was part of pursuing the grail of a BBS neck shave. I've never had a true BBS neck shave.
I'm not convinced I ever will.

I usually get the right side much better than the left, due to being right-handed, and getting a bad angle for an awkward ATG on the left.

@Herrenberg, have to admire your trying dual straights on the challenge.

OK, I told my conscience to read the darned bylaws, and ordered a nice black/brown bulb brush.

Then I went immediately back into restraint. Future historians will say: was there any violation of restraint here? They will wonder, until a precocious graduate student brings forth a copy of the GRUME ground rules, and points out that there was no violation at all.

May I wake up tomorrow still believing that with my whole heart.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (10)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Fuller ULO* brush
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
Holy smokes - today's lather was amazing! I "overloaded" (all of 10 seconds of swirling on the soap) and got plenty of fantastic, slick lather. Paired with a Nacet at the zenith of its comfort/efficiency curve in a razor that holds it snugly, I could do no wrong. The result was a DFS+ (because BBS is not for me) and a very-impressed SWMBO.

The only bummer is that the knot glue isn't good. I lose 2+ hairs per shave, and there's a little black blob at the base of each. I'm assuming this is really old knot glue and it's disintegrating. The knot isn't particularly dense, anyway, so I'm sad every time one of those little guys drops out.

*Unidentified Lathering Object: I have no idea what the model is, as there is no number or name, nor do I know if the knot is original

Onward!

Still in.

I have been busy trying to get small containers for sending out the soap samples along with the razors which were with me for past few weeks to months.

It contains small samples from my humble unused soap line-up, but I'm really glad to be able to send something.

Both the razors are cleaned, washed and ready to go, both the Stirling soaps are sold, Omega Brush is also sold, and before sending, I've cleaned, disinfected, fresh cloth towel dried and kept it in the sun for a few hours.

IMG_20210520_233301.jpg

GRUME-er-ing for The Twentieth Day (Technically) :letterk1: ...

Prep: Shower and a super-sudsy-soapy-soupy-slippery-slither of Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave
Lucky Tiger lather applied with Simpson Emperor Super Badger #1
Shave with 1920's open comb Gillette and Nacet blade
Finish with cold water slashes, Thayers WH and Old Spice Original

Thoughts...

I know why a bunch of B&Bers respect the old Gillette razors! I bought this razor a couple months ago on Ebay. I thought it would be an aggressive instrument. Today it just glided across my skin. There was no concern about irritation or mishaps. Now I want to learn more about the vintage Gillettes.

I was bothered a bit by the scritchiness of the Simpson brush because it took awhile to make a good lather. I'll just say the Lucky Tiger has a neat little bottle but the lather is just OK in my opinion.

I am still in,...technically. I am looking forward to receiving the "Bought-Beautiful-B&B-Bright-Butterscotch-Bawn-Beagle-Bulb-Brush." :letterk1:

PXL_20210520_172858041.PORTRAIT.jpg

Good Day!

Still in. I ordered a brush yesterday. But, still in. It's...complicated.

Today I decided to shave with my favorite gear, with no concession at all to the idea of rotating through everything.
1621564524965.png

Rehab Iwasaki, briar brush, and SV. Can't go wrong, and I didn't. The shave is so smooth that I half-suspect that I did an extra pass, deliberately forgetting I'd gone in that direction already, just to prolong the fun.

Still in

and closing in on my third consecutive Grume. I probably have enough in the way of consumables to see out the rest of 2022. It will likely be slim pickings by the end of the year but I’d like to aim for that. With one exception. I’m not going to pass on the Wolfman the second time around. I will allow myself that one exception when my name comes up.

SOTD

Vector
Chubby 2
SMN
ABC Tabacco Verde
265825E8-525A-491F-B334-714F2C3D21EE.jpeg

Still in!

Decided to go out with a bang ending my week of open comb DEs with an ATG pass with my Wade and Butcher. I generally walk away from an ATG pass thinking "yeah that was dumb..".

Walked away this time thinking "yeah that was INCREDIBLY dumb..."

Was fun revisiting some of my vintage razors that don't get much use nowadays but can't wait to get back to the straight razor.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Gillette Silver Blue on about shave #7 still smooth and sharp- these are really outstanding blades. The first shave is never the best, but shaves 2 and 3 the blade smooths out and then I like to ride it till the smoothness begins to fade, and that usually begins to occur between 7 and 12 shaves. The Gillette red tip Super Speed is slowly displacing the 1970s black handled SS as my fave- or is it just that after a few months I'm forgetting what a terrific shaver the black handle is??? I don't know. But the added weight of the red tip makes it a real pleasure to use.

Simpsons M7 in Best Badger. One of those shaves where at the end I say to myself "Best really IS best!" It made a delightful face lather from the Pre de Provence soap that @SharpieB sent to me a few months ago. Yesterday I got quite a surprise when the postman delivered an unexpected and welcome package- a tube of PdP Bergamot & Thyme balm to complement the soap, again a gift from Sharpie. My wife said "Is this Christian charity, or are you being wooed?" I laughed... it is a most generous gift from one of my favourite Maple Leaf fans... and it worked a charm! It was one of those shaves where it all came together- water, soap, brush, razor, blade, and balm, to leave me feeling clean, refreshed, and grateful... if not wooed!

Still in!

Top Bottom