What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Equate (Noxzema knockoff) cream as a preshave. Gillette Silver Blue, red tip Super Speed. Simpson Duke 3, Best. Proraso green cream and splash. A few drops of Proraso green balm for the moisture. The first "evergreen" shave of summer!
Still in restraint.

Still in!
Broke out two razors I haven't used in a long time. Bought them back when I started liking aggressive razors but I found both too much for me at the time. Now many months later I find I like both quite a lot. Very close and very smooth today! Focs and Karve E
0523211239a~4.jpg

Is anyone interested in trading a karve 3.5 inch handle for a 3 inch handle?

Still in. I went away from Athens after 6 months of continuous lockdown and it felt great being free again. The destination was our cottage were I keep a small DE setup. Even though I brought a straight and a strop with me, yesterday I thought of using my EJ DE89. First DE shave since last December.

P10522-134447(1).jpg

I used SR stretching and strokes and the result was super close after my regular 2 passes. Funny to see how my technique evolved. The razor felt strange. Minimal blade feel, yet the blade was almost too sharp... Weird, yet enjoyable.

Today, I used my Ralf Aust with the Spanish point. Excellent shave again that reaffirmed my choice to use SRs. That said, I might splash in the occasional DE shave, just for fun.

P10523-102040(1).jpg

Happy shaves everyone! :)

GRUME...23rd Day of May... :letterk1:
Still In

Hot water splashes and a watery Tabac face lather for pre-shave
More hot water splashes and Tabac lather applied with RR Plissoft brush
Henson AL-13 with KAI blade
Combo mix of moisturizers and Davidoff Cool Waters AS

This was my first hurried shave since I started my DE adventure. I took a Sunday morning nap and woke up to an empty house. I had 30 minutes before an after-Church family gathering would arrive. I was suppose to go to Church with everyone but I slept through the whole morning.

I read on a different B&B thread that the KAI blades are slightly longer and thicker than most other DE blades. It may be my imagination but the Henson seemed to have a tad more blade feel and aggression today. It got me in the experimental mode of wanting to use the Kai in the Rockwell 6C, plate 2. Tomorrow is another day.

GOOD DAY!

Still in.
1621816269197.png

Muhle Sandalwood, Elite Razor stone-handled brush with Manchurian White knot, and Ralf Aust. BTW I hate sandalwood, a result of overexposure to incense in my youth, but if the Muhle smells like it, it's not something I can detect, and it is a really good soap to shave with.

I'm getting a bit obsessed with Ralf Aust lately. Today's shave was great, and I went for as close to a 3-pass shave as I can muster with a straight. It doesn't take an edge like my kamisoris, but the full hollow configuration seems to make up for that somehow. Maybe the flexible blade rides the contours and produces a really close shave by a different mechanism.

What's got me obsessing a bit is that he's taking the same blanks other makers use, and producing a razor that can be had for a lower price, which feels like an artisan razor, like a crafted thing and not a manufactured thing, and which comes as close to shave-ready as any new razor I've encountered. And which shaves really, really well.

When I successfully complete (I hope and believe) the May GRUME, and decline to join the June GRUME, there will be three reasons. Two are shaves soaps I really want to try (A&E, B&M). The third is a 4/8 Aust detailing razor with French point. I would like to think that these are less about AD than about having identified next steps in my shave journey, but you know how self-delusion is. Still, I've had some experience with AD, and when it really starts to bite is when I covet something, receive it, and just throw it on the pile. That's not good. This is something else, things I need to explore before returning to the restraint fold.

Still in, 74% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Astra SP #7
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

Tried using the RA3 aluminium handle with the Rockwell head, and liked the reduced weight, but this combination feels top-heavy. It weighed in at 73g.

Got a BBS face and DFS neck with it, so the performance is good.

Still in.

I had a good BBS shave today with the Windsor Pro and a German Wilkinson Sword blade after giving my face a day to recover from my previous efforts with a GSB in the same razor.

A Chubby 1 Super with CF Lime cream and balm rounded out this Monday morning shave.

The 24th Day Of GRUME...
Still In

Shower, Proraso red Pre-Shave and MWF (watery) as pre-shave
MWF face lathered with Simpson Emperor #1
Feather Popular with new Derby blade
Nivea Sensitive Skin Lotion and Pinaud Clubman AS

The Proraso red and watery mix of MWF works very good as a for a pre shave prep.

This was the first time I used a Derby SS blade. They have been sitting in a drawer for months and I finally decided to give them a try; isn't that part of what GRUME is about? This may be the most comfortable blade I have tried. In the Feather, I could almost shave on auto pilot. It was a very enjoyable 2 pass shave.

We have family staying with us for a couple more days so no picture today.

GOOD DAY! :letterk1:

Still in.
Razor: GEM MMOC
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: Sagrada Familia
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: Haslinger Aloe Vera
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Great shave today! CCS/DFS I’m still learning how to use the GEM razor. Haslinger is fantastic, this will always be in my soap rotation! Have a great day y’all!
8C35A490-369B-4677-AAAF-04262ACAB3AC.jpeg

Top Bottom