What's new

Most hated meal growing up.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Creamed tuna and peas on toast.

Wow. It takes a lot to disgust me, but that did it! I want to forget that I ever heard of that!

My dad use to joke he liked his steak well done, to the point most people would say it’s ruined.

My grandmother was notorious for sending steaks back to the kitchen because they weren't utterly destroyed.

My wife does a killer cured tongue. Like very lean corned beef. Lovely in sandwiches.

That sounds fantastic! Please share, if allowed!

Tuna and noodles. It wasn't so much the tuna or the noodle but those dreadful little pieces of canned mushrooms from the cream of mushroom soup.

Liver and onions. Yuck. My Dad loved it so we had it at least once a month. And we had to eat it or we got the teaspoon on the noggin. Have not had it since I left home in 1980. However my business travels in Russia (small towns not just Moscow and St. Pete) gave me several alarming runners up.

Growing up in a strict Catholic environment, especially if it is a rather financially humble one, Fridays were to be feared. Mrs. Paul’s fish sticks were a HUGE treat, maybe a few times a year. Otherwise...it was the aforementioned tuna and peas in a cream-like kind of sauce over toast😖. Or yet worse, Franco American canned spaghetti (more horrid than Chef Boy Ar Dee) and scrambled eggs. Dark times indeed😳

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
{Corned Tongue}That sounds fantastic! Please share, if allowed!

Sure! It's from the book "Charcuterie: the Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn (ISBN 978-0-393-05829-1). We made a couple of amendments to suit our taste.

Brine:
4 litres water
450 grams kosher salt
100 grams sugar
25 grams "pink" salt (curing salt with nitrite)
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 large stick cinnamon
15 g juniper berries
20 grams pickling spice mix (see below)

Approx. 2.25 kilograms meat (brisket, flank, tongue etc.)

Another 20 grams pickling spice for later in the process...

Combine brine ingredients in a large pot that is also big enough to hold the meat easily (but don't put the meat in yet).

Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve salt and sugar. Allow to cool to room temp, then refrigerate the brine overnight.

Next day, add the meat to the chilled brine. Refrigerate (with turning and overhauling) for five days. She often puts the meat in a large freezer bag and pours in the brine. Squeeze out the air before sealing.

Remove meat from brine, rinse under cool running water.

Place meat into pot, cover with water, and add the reserved pickling spice. Bring to a boil (covered) and simmer gently for three hours or until it is fork-tender. If water gets low, add more.

When done, let cool until you can peel the tongue. Serve warm or cold. Makes excellent "French Kiss" sandwiches (because you slip a little tongue in).

Pickling Spice blend, makes about 125 grams:

20 g black peppercorns
20 g mustard seed
20 g coriander seed
12 g hot red pepper flakes
14 g allspice berries
8 g ground mace
2 small cinnamon sticks, broken
24 bay leaves, crumbled
6 g whole cloves
8 g ground ginger

Lightly toast peppercorns, mustard seeds and coriander seeds in a small dry skillet. Pound in mortar to crack them. Toasting the cinnamon a little also makes it easier to break up. Combine cracked spices with the rest, mixing well. Store in a tightly sealed container.

O.H.

Growing up in a strict Catholic environment, especially if it is a rather financially humble one, Fridays were to be feared. Mrs. Paul’s fish sticks were a HUGE treat, maybe a few times a year. Otherwise...it was the aforementioned tuna and peas in a cream-like kind of sauce over toast😖. Or yet worse, Franco American canned spaghetti (more horrid than Chef Boy Ar Dee) and scrambled eggs. Dark times indeed😳
Count your lucky stars. 3 weeks out of 4 we got herring.

Any meal where my stepfather yelled “EAT IT OR WEAR IT!” at me, which happened any time I didn’t clean my plate.

I rarely complied, gotta fight the power :gun_bandana:

Herring & oatmeal for breakfast... and tatties, neeps, and herrin' for dinner...

Herring just conjures up one word....bones. Loved the taste of kippers but them bones...
Plus my old man was violent. Any reluctance to eat anything meant pain. So we ate the bones.
Don't get me started on neeps. Vulgar stuff.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Herring just conjures up one word....bones. Loved the taste of kippers but them bones...
Plus my old man was violent. Any reluctance to eat anything meant pain. So we ate the bones.
Don't get me started on neeps. Vulgar stuff.
Mackerel are very similar to herring when it comes to bones. If a mackerel isn't fresh it's like eating an oily rag filled with a hundred little common pins.

Sorry your old man was violent. No child deserves that.

Sure! It's from the book "Charcuterie: the Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn (ISBN 978-0-393-05829-1). We made a couple of amendments to suit our taste.

Brine:
4 litres water
450 grams kosher salt
100 grams sugar
25 grams "pink" salt (curing salt with nitrite)
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 large stick cinnamon
15 g juniper berries
20 grams pickling spice mix (see below)

Approx. 2.25 kilograms meat (brisket, flank, tongue etc.)

Another 20 grams pickling spice for later in the process...

Combine brine ingredients in a large pot that is also big enough to hold the meat easily (but don't put the meat in yet).

Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve salt and sugar. Allow to cool to room temp, then refrigerate the brine overnight.

Next day, add the meat to the chilled brine. Refrigerate (with turning and overhauling) for five days. She often puts the meat in a large freezer bag and pours in the brine. Squeeze out the air before sealing.

Remove meat from brine, rinse under cool running water.

Place meat into pot, cover with water, and add the reserved pickling spice. Bring to a boil (covered) and simmer gently for three hours or until it is fork-tender. If water gets low, add more.

When done, let cool until you can peel the tongue. Serve warm or cold. Makes excellent "French Kiss" sandwiches (because you slip a little tongue in).

Pickling Spice blend, makes about 125 grams:

20 g black peppercorns
20 g mustard seed
20 g coriander seed
12 g hot red pepper flakes
14 g allspice berries
8 g ground mace
2 small cinnamon sticks, broken
24 bay leaves, crumbled
6 g whole cloves
8 g ground ginger

Lightly toast peppercorns, mustard seeds and coriander seeds in a small dry skillet. Pound in mortar to crack them. Toasting the cinnamon a little also makes it easier to break up. Combine cracked spices with the rest, mixing well. Store in a tightly sealed container.

O.H.
With tongue, it's very important to peel the tongue. I find it's easiest to do this when the tongue is still hot (just under unbearably so).

Mackerel are very similar to herring when it comes to bones. If a mackerel isn't fresh it's like eating an oily rag filled with a hundred little common pins.

Sorry your old man was violent. No child deserves that.

I went off mackerel because we ate so many of them. Back then we were pulling them out the sea by the dozen. Beautiful thing to look at.

Top Bottom