What's new

Most hated meal growing up.

I have known hunger. Not starvation, but gut-wrenching hunger. I am fortunate to have had family and friends to laugh and have fun together during those times. Every bite was blessed and every meal thanked for.
I always uncovered my head when seating for a meal and always appreciated the food (and the effort).
I did have to refuse meals inedible because I knew I would get sick but other than that, I enjoyed everything served.
Always thanked at the start and the end of the meal.

Ok, I confess, I hate cilantro. The smell makes me gag. The only exception to all I said above.:blush:
Once in a while my wife would forget and drop some in my chilli. I still eat it and smile.
Never had cilantro in the old country where I grew up. Only here, in the new world.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
My dad also served up rollmops, which are a picked herring fillet wrapped around a pickle. Haven't had one in over forty years and don't miss them at all.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My mother made the most wonderful liver and onions. So that won’t be on my list of hated things.
So did my grandfather. He was a minister, and my grandma worked 9-5 as a legal secretary. My grandfather did a lot of the cooking, as he had more time at home. I wish I had paid attention to how he did liver and onions. It was one of my favorite meals.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So did my grandfather. He was a minister, and my grandma worked 9-5 as a legal secretary. My grandfather did a lot of the cooking, as he had more time at home. I wish I had paid attention to how he did liver and onions. It was one of my favorite meals.
Yes

Pretty much anything that had any kind of condiments on it. I was such a picky child. I definitely don’t have that issue anymore.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Weird holiday foods: bourbon balls, fruitcake with unnaturally green dried cherries, egg nog (what in the heck is nog anyway?), pickled herring, boiled peanuts, fried pork rinds, Jello mold with suspended veggies and a skin on top because it was stored uncovered too long.

Yet, I’d give my right arm to have mom make another meal.

My mom liked making breakfast, baking, and going out to restaurants; actual cooking not so much so she'd stick to things she knew how to do. It was the vegetable combos that I hated. The worst was creamed spinach, I'd gag then and nearly do now recalling it.

Weird holiday foods: bourbon balls, fruitcake with unnaturally green dried cherries, egg nog (what in the heck is nog anyway?),

This strikes a chord, it was same for me. Mom was a great baker but would put out the weird stuff that showed up in the mail over the holidays. Especially if it was from a family member who'd be coming by on Christmas, you'd be expected to eat it in front of them.

Spinach or cabbage with tomato sauce and rice. Still can't stand them.

But my kryptonite are okra's. I literally stayed 2 days ''starving'' because (rightfully so, in her defense) she refused to make me something else. The 3rd day she admitted her defeat.
I tried them once as an adult. Once..

I hated okra growing up, it was slimy even though breaded. Had it again as an adult in the South and it was really good. So I will put that one down as pilot error on my mom's part.

Top Bottom