What's new

Most hated meal growing up.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Also, for those who refuse to eat offal, you are totally missing out!

Heart and tongue are both fantastic. And they are not so much "organs" as they are very strong muscles. Very lean and high in nutrients, they are fantastic when slow-cooked (like in a stew). (The base of the tongue can be much different and far more marbled in fat content!)

Chicken Fricassee,..urgh!

0013.jpg

I think they're doing it wrong...

There are different versions yes,
but I talk about boiled flavourless, dry chicken pieces with boring
peas, overcooked asparagus on wet, soft rice...
Tastes like leftover hospital food from 2 days ago.

Its a running gag with my brother, when my mom asks what we wanna eat
when we visit "anything except Chicken Marseille"(thats what she calls it)

While my mother is a lovely person, she's not a good cook. Her philosophy was "Cook it to death and add every spice and herb in the house".

I was a very skinny child.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
My mother was actually a good cook, but this...

Fried hamburger patty, cooked until every last drop moisture and flavor had been rendered out of the pathetic thing, served all by itself, with a side of mushy canned peas, and some sort of potato. I was allowed to put as much ketchup on it as I wanted though, thank goodness, as that is the only way I could manage to chew and swallow the nasty thing. This meal was served at least once a week. :thumbdown

Her way of cooking liver and onions was pretty good. She would cook up some bacon in a cast-iron skillet, set the bacon aside, then dredge the liver in flour, add salt and pepper, cook the liver and onions in the bacon grease. So we were served liver and onions with bacon. :thumbup1:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Do you have a good recipe?
My mother is leaving my wife the recipe but right now mom has it and refuses to give it up. She makes it for me and freezes it.
Right now all that I do for a quickie is prepare a packet of country sausage gravy mix and then add either breakfast sausage , chipped beef, corned beef, or hamburger, and pour it over anything you want.
969F0477-3DF6-4530-89FB-7884209BF0A7.jpeg

something like this

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My mother is leaving my wife the recipe but right now mom has it and refuses to give it up. She makes it for me and freezes it.
Right now all that I do for a quickie is prepare a packet of country sausage gravy mix and then add either breakfast sausage , chipped beef, corned beef, or hamburger, and pour it over anything you want.
View attachment 1259808
something like this
Glad she plans to leave it. I had two great-aunts that had their own recipes for what the family called hot stuff (both were good, but preferred Aunt Celie’s). Fierce competition between the sisters. They took the recipes to the grave. I use to love it on a piece of buttered bread.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Glad she plans to leave it. I had two great-aunts that had their own recipes for what the family called hot stuff (both were good, but preferred Aunt Celie’s). Fierce competition between the sisters. They took the recipes to the grave. I use to love it on a piece of buttered bread.
Mom has given my wife a few recipes over the years but most she has began to write down and store in a box.
I would rather have mom than her recipes.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Not a fan of the raviolis but Beefaroni on toast may be the best hangover food of all time!
There was an episode of Seinfeld in which Kramer had a giant can of "Beefarino" that he fed to one of those horses who pulls a carriage around Central Park. The horse then has a toxic gas attack, his passengers get nauseous, and hilarity ensues.

Liver and onions with mash potatoes and gravy. Every Friday like clock work. Dad loved it and us 5 boys didn't. I remember it always smell good but that's were it ended. I never finished mom made us eat at least one piece which I covered in ketchup. Still dislike today.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There was an episode of Seinfeld in which Kramer had a giant can of "Beefarino" that he fed to one of those horses who pulls a carriage around Central Park. The horse then has a toxic gas attack, his passengers get nauseous, and hilarity ensues.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My mother is leaving my wife the recipe but right now mom has it and refuses to give it up.

In my collection of letters I have one from my paternal grandmother to my mother. It was written in about 1947 -- Mom & Dad got married in '43 but Dad was "otherwise occupied" in the South Pacific for a few years. So this was after they'd begun to actually settle down into the marriage and get used to each others' little foibles.

Apparently Dad was a little vocal about the great cookies his mother used to make, as compared to the not-so-great cookies his wife made. After a long series of trials with every sugar cookie recipe she could find (she was a scientist, after all), Mom apparently set her pride to the side and wrote to her mother in law. The letter I have is Grandma's reply, which included her recipe. Mom made it faithfully from 1947 until Dad died in 2006. I still make them just that way.

Either real lard or real butter in the dough, with actual white sugar and white flour and real eggs. Then slather them with melted butter and sprinkle on even more sugar when they come out of the oven. "Good for growing boys," she noted.

On the other hand I "lost" my mother's recipe for Brazil Nut Cake while cleaning out the estate. No remorse whatsoever.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Heart and tongue are both fantastic.

My wife does a killer cured tongue. Like very lean corned beef. Lovely in sandwiches.

I get the hearts -- those that don't go into the dog food we make. Sheep hearts are better for haggis but beef is OK if you're not too Scottish. :) In fact haggis is about the only way I WILL eat heart.

You know you like haggis when you start getting picky about how it's made. The Highland Society I used to belong to always had the driest, gummiest, most tasteless haggis for Burns Nicht dinners. I quit going after a while -- to a Scot paying that much for a dinner you don't like is a sin.

O.H.

Top Bottom