What's new

Most hated meal growing up.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm sure there's at least one, but I honestly can't think of any at the moment. Both parents were (and still are) great cooks.

There's got to be some god-awful boiled vegetable thing or something from that era where folks thought they could use a microwave like it was a regular oven, but that didn't last. I can think of a couple that I didn't like as a kid (or that I protested about merely because I was a kid), but nothing that I don't like today.

Pasta with "clam sauce". In a restaurant this is quite nice - fettucine, clams, and a butter/wine sauce with garlic and herbs. As my mother made it - spaghetti, "clam sauce" heated up - which was just a can of clam bits in some sort of juice with no flavoring. Never again.

Squash and zucchini microwaved with no seasoning, ricearoni, and any canned vegetables.

I think the issue is that my mom tried to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen, and it reflected in her cooking. The benefit is that it inspired me to hone my cooking skills.

Liver and peas. My god. And thank god for mashed potatoes, to wrap every nasty bite in a robe of glorious mashed potatoes. I nearly got by with ditching some of the peas but one continued to roll under the table and roll right out the other side where my father spotted it. BUSTED.

Never liked broccoli as a kid. I think in many instances it's not the vegetable itself that's the problem, but that it's not prepared well (sorry parents). I'm still lukewarm on steamed vegetables. Bland mushy things.

A family of great cooks; lucky enough to have also live-in domestic help, many of whom were fabulous in the kitchen.

Liver, of course, I found inedible. But I love(d) pates of all sorts. Had an odd dislike for lima beans. And I can't stand the smell, mouth-feel, or taste of raw tomatoes, which is too bad, because they look so good and they are everywhere.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It would be a combination of spaghetti (normally my mum did that very well) and the "need" to keep warm for hours (usually waiting for my dad and I to get home from fishing). Mum would keep the plate of pasta and sauce heated in the oven ... and those noodles that were not grossly overcooked would be dried out into a crispy mess.

Top Bottom