What's new

Meal Delivery Plans

Have any of you tried one of the meal delivery services, for example, Home Chef or Blue Apron. If so, what's your take on these? They seem a bit pricey, but do offer the convenience of not having to shop for ingredients.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
If doubling or almost tripling your cost per meal isn't a big deal, knock yourself out. If you typically eat out you will potentially save some money using meal prep/delivery. If you're COMPLETELY inept in the kitchen there may be a learning curve that is beneficial. Finally, If the convenience is beneficial to you and yours go for it.

Otherwise, don't bother. Cooking is a skill that can be learned and these kits still require a recipe to be followed. I can't imagine justifying the cost or surrendering control over the ingredients that I'm utilizing. As far as I'm concerned the less hands that touch my food before I put in in my mouth the better. The more processed your food is the more no bueno it is for your overall health. I can't imagine they have anyone's best interests in mind when it comes to salt, sugar, etc.

This opinion may not come as a surprise from your local chef who also ran kitchens for several years in healthcare. But you can always shoot me a PM if you're in need of some help, guidance or ideas. Heck, if you're in the neighborhood stop on by and I'll feed ya'.

YMMV

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I love meal delivery...especially when it walks right up in your yard.

1693436330774.png

Sorry...that didn't help, did it?

If doubling or almost tripling your cost per meal isn't a big deal, knock yourself out. If you typically eat out you will potentially save some money using meal prep/delivery. If you're COMPLETELY inept in the kitchen there may be a learning curve that is beneficial. Finally, If the convenience is beneficial to you and yours go for it.

Otherwise, don't bother. Cooking is a skill that can be learned and these kits still require a recipe to be followed. I can't imagine justifying the cost or surrendering control over the ingredients that I'm utilizing. As far as I'm concerned the less hands that touch my food before I put in in my mouth the better. The more processed your food is the more no bueno it is for your overall health. I can't imagine they have anyone's best interests in mind when it comes to salt, sugar, etc.

This opinion may not come as a surprise from your local chef who also ran kitchens for several years in healthcare. But you can always shoot me a PM if you're in need of some help, guidance or ideas. Heck, if you're in the neighborhood stop on by and I'll feed ya'.

YMMV
This.

YMMV
Everything he said, x 100.

I'm the main cook in the house but we all plan the meals on Saturday, place an order for all the ingredients to be picked up Sunday and don't even have to enter a grocery store if we don't want. Most stores offer this is as a free arrive over a certain dollar amount. Little to nothing goes to waste and is all planned out ahead of time, I do pick up some meats and breads if needed during the week, from the local butcher and bakery.

I have a whack of recipes I use and the internet and America's Test Kitchen magazines come in handy for adding new menu selections to my repertoire.

Cooking is a skill everyone should have and it saves you so much money over meal services and eating out.

Last edited:
I do like @brucered 's method of shopping. I don't do it, but it has a ton of merit and must save some time.
Pre-Covid, we went to the store and walked around (or my wife did). We ended up with stuff we didn't ened, snacks, extras, forgot stuff. She has been pulled to work longer hours and I'm the cook (also work full time, we try and plan a bit better to save time. I plan what meals I'm going to make, she makes up the grocery list, joint effort. Sometimes we plan the weekend, sometimes it's a free-for-all and we just head to the meat market and decide in the morning. If we eat out 1 day during the week, everything gets bumped a day and we now have a weekend meal planned.

I hate grocery shopping, unless it's for BBQ meats. Plus, it allows the teenagers to know the meal plan, so the first question I get after work isn't "What's for supper?".

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Pre-Covid, we went to the store and walked around (or my wife did). We ended up with stuff we didn't ened, snacks, extras, forgot stuff. She has been pulled to work longer hours and I'm the cook (also work full time, we try and plan a bit better to save time. I plan what meals I'm going to make, she makes up the grocery list, joint effort. Sometimes we plan the weekend, sometimes it's a free-for-all and we just head to the meat market and decide in the morning. If we eat out 1 day during the week, everything gets bumped a day and we now have a weekend meal planned.

I hate grocery shopping, unless it's for BBQ meats. Plus, it allows the teenagers to know the meal plan, so the first question I get after work isn't "What's for supper?".
Relating to your kids "What's for dinner?" question. I am glad you can easily answer it. A similar experience as a young man-

My brother and I had an annoying habit of arriving at the dinner table as my amazing mother was getting supper ready to go to the table. I'm sure she'd had a long day only to be followed by more to do and a couple teenagers to deal with. Our annoying habit was to inquire, as she set down each dish typically family style, "Is that all we're having?" Normally she would take a deep breath and say no and continue along. Then, one day IT happened. I think I was the culprit. As she set down the green beans I had to ask "Is that it?"... her answer that evening was "Yes. That's what we're having for dinner." And indeed, my brother (sorry Doug, but you had it coming too) and I had green beans for dinner. Needless to say we never asked again.

Parents in the 80's had a spine. Of course we weren't going to starve to death between the green beans and bowl of Cheerios in the morning (which we fixed ourselves). Message was sent and received.

I love you Mom. Glad you didn't take any BS off anyone, your kids included. You were a more patient parent than I could have ever been and I appreciate everything about you more than you'll ever know.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@ZeelansRoem Those aren't bacon...THIS is bacon! Delivered to your door.

View attachment 1710698

View attachment 1710699
Thank the good Lord we don't have the wild pig problem in my part of Michigan, but them long legged rats with the big ears I caught just the other day stretching their necks to eat some apples off my tree that just this year produced apples for the first time.

I memorized his features. That dude will be in the freezer this fall. About 75 feet from my back room. He's got a lot of nerve doggone!

Legion

Staff member
We did Hello Fresh for a while. The meals were fairly tasty, but expensive, and actually kind of fiddly and time consuming to make.

These days I make more meals using pre made packet sauces. Chop up some meat, veggies, add the sauce and throw it in the slow cooker or pan. Easy.

YMMV
I hope to stop by sometime mid-September early October. Will coordinate via pm. I like to cook; but relocating North. I have dog sitting gigs lined up 9/15-10/12.

Top Bottom