What's new

Looking for a good beginner fountain pen?

I'm a bit late to this but I'm a lefty (correct-handed) overwriter and I've tried lots of nibs. The only ones I've had any trouble with are the Japanese extra fine nibs because we push the nib across the paper and a sharp nib can dig in if you're not careful. I'd imagine that flex nibs and obliques might not work so well either but I haven't tried them.

I'm addition to the recommendations above, two low-priced pens that are often overshadowed by the Metro/Safari/Eco are the Pilot Kakuno and Pelikan Twist. I'd choose a Kakuno over a Metropolitan any day. And if you're ok with a triangular grip, the Twist is a great pen.

At the higher end of a $70 budget I'd also recommend the TWSBI Diamond 580.

And I've never worried about an ink's dry time for any reason other than having to wait to turn the page, but I can see why someone would want a fast dry time if they drag their hand across what they've just written.

Left handed overwriter here. I still have the Safari I bought at the university bookstore in the early 80's. God awful green colour but a tank. I tilt the paper at a 45-degree angle to the left so my hand is above the line. No smearing. Works for me.

Top Bottom