What's new

The Ammo Shortage

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I used to laugh at southern winter weather fear and precautions until I moved south and saw how the natives drive. Now, I think it's the most logical thing in the world to shut everything down and just let it melt before you open your door again.

How the birthplace of NASCAR produced drivers like this, I'll never know. It's like travelling to Rome and being served Chef Boyardee for lunch.

The problem at least in the Dallas area is all the roads are elevated so they ice easier, the snow removal equipment is subpar compared to the North, and the pure volume of traffic just screws everything up. Here you can't really blame the drivers you just can't move.

You probably got lake effect snow in Conneaut?. That's a whole different animal than the relatively small amount we get here.

Oh yes. In 77-78 it was so bad the snow blower would not blow snow over the bank created all year long while clearing the driveway. My dad and I spent an entire day digging a trench behind the bank to level the bank into. It never snowed again that year...LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The problem at least in the Dallas area is all the roads are elevated so they ice easier, the snow removal equipment is subpar compared to the North, and the pure volume of traffic just screws everything up. Here you can't really blame the drivers you just can't move.
This exactly. It’s basically wait until it freezes and then put sand on it. Was it 13 or 14 we had a hard freeze and ended up with cobblestone ice on the elevated bridges in Fort Worth. Basically 8 inch boulders of frozen ice and sand stuck like cement to the overpasses. If you were in a higher clearance vehicle like a truck and stayed in the ruts you were fine. But I responded to numerous wrecks where the undercarriages of cars were just completely ripped out.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Let's just say I'm shooting my air rifles more and more. But even that lead is getting more costly.
I inherited my PawPaw’s RWS along with about 5000 of these pellets. They seem to be more accurate than anything I can buy new.
BFE7FD0F-4900-42D8-92C0-A64C4E3B1539.jpeg

Ammo of the day at hardware store: PMC Bronze 223 Remington $8.99/20 limit one box.

Of course I grabbed one. That was five minutes after they opened I'd bet that one case sold by the box one at a time was gone in less than an hour.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Except the interstate which is in a ditch! :lol: Well around SMU anyways.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Saw where there was a 100 car pile-up in Ft. Worth with at least 5 dead. My porches here are covered with a thin layer of ice. I'd rather have 8 inches of snow than the black ice you can't see.

nikonNUT

Saw where there was a 100 car pile-up in Ft. Worth with at least 5 dead. My porches here are covered with a thin layer of ice. I'd rather have 8 inches of snow than the black ice you can't see.

I've been watching videos of that all morning. There is one where the semi is haulin ***, and shoves an FJ Cruiser into a full-sized Dodge that does a back flip into another semi and knocks it on its side. In that video you can see something shoot out of the FJ. A split second later a dude stands up in the opposing traffics HOV lane! That guy must be living right!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member

I worked for MedStar (EMS) in Ft. Worth for 4 years before heading north to Michigan. That stretch of I35 from the I30 interchange north to about 820 is always a mess. There is no way for emergency vehicles to get to wrecks on I35 due to construction, narrow lanes, and bridges/overpasses. I’ve driven the wrong way down I35 more than a few times in order to get access to wrecks. The area of I35 to Northside Dr (where the wreck occurred) was ranked the most congested in Texas 5yrs ago and probably hasn’t improved much. The lanes are so narrow there is literally nowhere to go to avoid hitting someone or being hit.

nikonNUT

I am not suprised. They have seem what the masses are willing spend, the rest of us will just get dragged along kicking and screaming... or we quit shooting and I am not doing that. Looks like it's time to start rat holing change cuz' I'm going to need about 25K of SPP, SRP, and LRMP.

P.S. April fools day? REALLY?!?

Last edited:
Ch
Digging through the back of the closet and found 10 boxes of Remington 9mm "training ammunition" I'd pretty much forgotten.

$6.99 a box. Never see that again.
I agree. I remember 6.99 a box, that was great and wasn’t that long ago. I also remember being mad that 22 longs were .99 cents a box at our country hardware store way back, Lol! Cheapest I could find it about a year and a half ago was 8.99 for pmc 9mm In 50 round single boxes at my local range/gun shop. I could get steel cased ammo a little cheaper but I never did. I don‘t shop at Walmart but I heard it was a little cheaper there.

Any predictions on cheap 9mm 50 count boxes at your gun shop when ammo becomes more widely available?

My guess is $10 a box.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
$45/box for cowboy loads of 45 Colt at the range just now.

They did have a fair amount of ammo on shelves! But we live in a hick place.

At Walmart after, saw some guy snag "all of em" of some pistol ammo. Three boxes I guess.

Bought nothing, but shot a hundred rounds today... 😁

AA

Top Bottom