What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Today's shave:

Kit 20210131.jpg

Still in! Q'apla!

I can’t do this! I’ve only just started this crazy journey into wet shaving. I’m looking forward to buying EVERYTHING once I get my technique down.
You can do it! It's actually better when you are getting started to focus on technique and not try too many new things at once. Technique trumps equipment.

Try not to get too crazy on acquiring soaps, especially. They last for months, and most of them are pretty similar except for scent. There's not really any need for a huge "rotation". People end up with these big collections more out of curiosity than necessity.

SOTD (032/2021)
01-02-2021

>> "One blade in February"-challenge <<

20210201_125414-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water.
Brush: WCS Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill
Razor: Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Blade: 1962 Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (01)
Postshave: frigid tap water; Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill AS & witch hazel & psb.

Starting with today's shave I'm taking part in the "one blade in February" challenge.
In 2020, I managed to finish the event with a Wilkinson Sword Germany without further problems.

Now this year's event might be a real challenge. Frankly, I have no clue if I will make it through the whole month with the designated candidate, a chinese made Gillette Wilkinson. The chinese Gillette Wilki is a very smooth blade, but I'm scratching my head when it comes to their longevity... well, I shall see if it was a smart move to choose a blade I'm not familiar enough with.

JAHE - still in!

You can do it! It's actually better when you are getting started to focus on technique and not try too many new things at once. Technique trumps equipment.

Try not to get too crazy on acquiring soaps, especially. They last for months, and most of them are pretty similar except for scent. There's not really any need for a huge "rotation". People end up with these big collections more out of curiosity than necessity.
@Atlantic59 is spot on.

I wish I had focused more on my technique than on razors and soaps when I started. It would have saved a pretty penny and my skills would have improved faster. I get better shaves when I stick with a particular set up for a bit instead of constantly rotating through hardware and software.

Stardate 121031.3
RAZOR: Timeless .68 OC
BLADE: Gillette Silver Blue
BRUSH: Maggard 24mm Mixed 70/30
CREAM: Cella

View attachment 1216032

Crewman #13 still in...
Stardate 121032.3
Change of plans... the knot and handle of my brush decided to part ways this morning.

20210201_split.jpg

I set the knot earlier this year. I decided to use silicone instead of epoxy because it was my first attempt at setting a knot (thanks @sugardaddy) and I was unsure of how it would turn out. The silicone was a good move because I like the knot but want to move it to a different handle. Everybody wins. Lathering duties for the week have been assigned to the Goodfellas' smile "Wild Hog" by Omega...

SWS_20210201.jpg

Crewman #13 still in...

01-02-2021

>> "One blade in February"-challenge <<

Razor: Rockwell 6c Pate 4
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Soap: Homemade
Aftershave: Lonestar

@JAHE , I also am participating the the One Blade in February Challenge. I also chose a blade I have no familiarity with. I did purchase a 100 pack of the Shark Super Stainless in December based on reviews and have been wondering how big a mistake I made. Had my first shave with it this morning and think my purchase decision was fine.

The Shark Super Stainless is a very smooth blade but it is not the sharpest blade I have ever used. I had a very good DFS+ in two passes with cleanup. We will see how it holds up. The lack of sharpness is making me nervous, but if it can keep what it has we will be fine.
SOTD02012021.jpg

Last edited:
I also am participating the the One Blade in February Challenge. I also chose a blade I have no familiarity with.

The Shark Super Stainless is a very smooth blade but it is not the sharpest blade I have ever used. I had a very good DFS+ in two passes with cleanup. We will see how it holds up. The lack of sharpness is making me nervous, but if it can keep what it has we will be fine.

I assume we are both doomed! :lol:

Snow Likely Monday Night Shave:
Fatip Slant Piccolo
Gillette Platinum (1)
PAA Starcraft synth brush
365 glycerin soap wash
Arko shaving soap
Dickinson's witch hazel mixed with Duro Limon Kolonya
RR American Barber splash

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Notes:
  • Going for full Turkish barber effect with Arko + Limon Kolonya, leaving off the flaming cotton balls for now
  • Gillette Platinum seems a good match with Fatip Slant
  • Starcraft brush with Arko is a great combination; effortless and abundant lather
arko-shave-1.png

I can’t do this! I’ve only just started this crazy journey into wet shaving. I’m looking forward to buying EVERYTHING once I get my technique down.
Razors can last a lifetime. Brushes will last many years. A pack of 100 blades will last at least a year, maybe two or more depending on your technique and how often you shave. A puck of soap or tub/tube of cream can last a few months.

Before you find yourself staring at a drawer or shelf full of shaving products, I suggest you spend a little time perusing the 3017 thread.

I really wish I had spent more time on my technique when I started and less time acquiring stuff. Lesson learned.

Survived the first month. I've completed a small purging mission this week to rid myself of DE razors that haven't really stuck in my rotation. Four have been released into deep space, with another two are being prepared to be jettisoned. This will reduce my total DE razor count to under 40 units. :c1: The funds recovered will help pay for the Great Soap Haul of Dec 2020.

draw.jpg

SOTD (033/2021)
02-02-2021

>> "One blade in February"- challenge <<

20210202_092202-01-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water.
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
Razor: Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (02)
Postshave: frigid tap water; Nivea 2in1 AS.

JAHE - still in!

Survived the first month. I've completed a small purging mission this week to rid myself of DE razors that haven't really stuck in my rotation. Four have been released into deep space, with another two are being prepared to be jettisoned. This will reduce my total DE razor count to under 40 units. :c1: The funds recovered will help pay for the Great Soap Haul of Dec 2020.

View attachment 1216902
Are you sure that you can make it through the whole year with such a limited quantity of soap? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom