What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Grande Ni
Blade: Gillette Platinum (10)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
Cream: Proraso White
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Ambre
071_20.jpg

The last shave of the week was nice and quick. I enjoyed it and then my life got comfortably busy. I hope everyone had a good Holiday and all were well fed. Good food is must.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Cream: Pre de Provence No.63
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)
032_20.jpg

The shave was good and I'm back in control with my photos. Not only are photos proof, the better the quality the better the results. Science: It works like magic only it's not. Disclaimer: None of these assertions are the result of a controlled study or have been peer reviewed.

PdP No.63 is a very good vegetal slick triple milled soap. Every time I use it, I wonder why I use anything else. I'm wondering the same about my Fatip Lo Storto. It must be the photo. Happy Shaves!

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
033_20.jpg

My shave was good today, except I sliced myself under my nose j-hooking. It didn't bleed right away, but it was a straight line cut. It just kind of dug right in there like it got caught on something. The catching sensation kind of confused me, so I tried to shave right on through it. This may not have been the best tack. Luckily, you can't really tell from looking at it. I consider that a success.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
View attachment 1201399
My shave was good today, except I sliced myself under my nose j-hooking. It didn't bleed right away, but it was a straight line cut. It just kind of dug right in there like it got caught on something. The catching sensation kind of confused me, so I tried to shave right on through it. This may not have been the best tack. Luckily, you can't really tell from looking at it. I consider that a success.

Not bragging, but I've somehow acquired the ability to stop on a dime if something feels wrong. I still draw blood on occasion, but I usually don't know it until I see the red.

About half of my nicks and cuts are pretty clearly errant and not really shaving moves (which might make sense to you, but I hope not because you don't make stupid errant moves).

Happy New Year,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not bragging, but I've somehow acquired the ability to stop on a dime if something feels wrong. I still draw blood on occasion, but I usually don't know it until I see the red.

I've allowed myself some smugness over this too. Occasionally, I've hit a "speed bump", such as the start of a spot that hasn't yet become visible, and stopped as soon as the blade encountered it, rather than plough through and wreak havoc. It's still exceptionally rare for me to spring a leak, despite my coordination issues, and that ability to detect and successfully navigate new obstacles, can be just as rewarding as the blissful perfection of a hassle free shave.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I've allowed myself some smugness over this too. Occasionally, I've hit a "speed bump", such as the start of a spot that hasn't yet become visible, and stopped as soon as the blade encountered it, rather than plough through and wreak havoc. It's still exceptionally rare for me to spring a leak, despite my coordination issues, and that ability to detect and successfully navigate new obstacles, can be just as rewarding as the blissful perfection of a hassle free shave.
I'm good at stopping on a dime as well. In my case the speed bump wasn't there during the previous pass. My mind said foreign object when I felt resistance. Never mind where would a foreign object have come from in the interim? That's what my mind concluded, and I went with it. I was wrong

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
041_20.jpg

This was my kit on the last day of 2020 and the first shave of the new year. After crossing the finish line, on the first day of 2021, I went on a shaving spending spree. I bought: One tub of Proraso Green shaving soap, Stirling Soap Company Pharaoh's Dreamsicle Shaving Soap and Dreamsicle Splash. I added menthol to the splash when I ordered. I also ordered an Omega Evo Synthetic Shaving Brush Marble Ovale, and one Fatip Lo Storto Piccolo. To top it off, I ordered 100 Bic Chrome DE Blades I've never tried. On my wish list of must haves is more InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid, and 100 of the new Gillette Platinum blades. I won't be joining the 2021 Shaving Sabbatical as part of my New Year's Resolution. One year of suffering restraint was quite enough for now. Cheers!

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have signed up for the restraint this year, after an expensive (for me) 2020. I'm doing it more as a period of reflection, to see if the realignments during the last 12 months have indeed got me where I want to be. I don't need to be purchase free, I just need to test the mindset I'd bought into, of simplicity + stockpile.

To say you went a year without purchase, your first spend seems a particularly measured one. That's a compliment by the way.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have signed up for the restraint this year, after an expensive (for me) 2020. I'm doing it more as a period of reflection, to see if the realignments during the last 12 months have indeed got me where I want to be. I don't need to be purchase free, I just need to test the mindset I'd bought into, of simplicity + stockpile.

To say you went a year without purchase, your first spend seems a particularly measured one. That's a compliment by the way.
Best of luck my friend. I see testing simplicity + stockpile making perfect sense for you. I really need a lot less than I thought I would. I'm hoping the Omega Evo is the brush, I already have enough Fatips, but the Lo Storto Piccolo is unique. I always seem to by floral-woodsy scents, so an orange-vanilla-musk scent is a first. I also got permission to buy Proraso Green Soap. That was my first love. The scent reminded my wife of her father having pneumonia. She said She is okay with it now.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I wondered what you'd buy early in 2021. Now I know.

Nothing in your shopping cart looks to be inspired by my efforts.

View attachment 1203452

I'll try harder, Rave.

Congratulations on your successful restraint.

Happy New Year,

Jim
The Omega Evo was inspired by your reviews. If a synthetic brush gets any praise from you it has to be the best synthetic. In my book that means it could possibly be the best brush ever. I would count this as a success Jim.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Omega Evo was inspired by your reviews. If a synthetic brush gets any praise from you it has to be the best synthetic. In my book that means it could possibly be the best brush ever. I would count this as a success Jim.

I was worried I'd miss a month...

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

But I'm still in the running. Month after month.

Your review is eagerly anticipated, Rave. For me to like the Omega Evo means nothing because I don't know jack about synthetic knots. On the other hand, you're a synthetic knot expert. I hope I didn't lead you astray.

I continue to like the Evo for what it is. I'd swear it's a three band silvertip though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Are the new Gillette Platinum blades any different from the old Gillette Platinum blades???
I've heard they were different. The packaging is, and the old Gillette Platinums where being sold at a higher price. Now they've come down to $16.00 US for a 100 the same price as for the new ones. It's anyone's guess if they're the same, but I must try them. They are both St. Petersburg blades.

Old:
Gillette_Platinum.jpg

New:
gillette_platinum_new_resize.jpg

FWIW, I find the new ones sharper and smoother. It's one of the blades I can easily use for a whole week or more. The older ones are good for 3-4 shaves on my face and I find them pretty average.

Top Bottom