What's new

Decanting aftershaves

They are all outstanding! What a great collection. I especially love the Skin Bracer set! I remember that set in glass from the early 80s when I was in high school. Are those filled with the actual original juice? And where did you find glass bottles that work with the Clubman green cap so perfectly? Just lovely.
[/QUOTE]
You can purchase low sodium soy sauce in the grocery store and they have a green top plus come with restrictorss they're usually less than 2 dollars...

The bottles fitted with green caps all appear to be original Pinaud bottles, so naturally they fit.
Am I missing something?
No those of his are original Pinaud bottles so the lids fit but if you can't get original bottles and use the original lids I was saying the low sodium soy sauce bottles also come with green lids you could use instead of the original lids...

I started DE shaving almost two years ago so I've never seen the original glass Pinaud bottles for sale, just the plastic ones. The glass ones look fantastic!

I started DE shaving almost two years ago so I've never seen the original glass Pinaud bottles for sale, just the plastic ones. The glass ones look fantastic!
Pinaud discontinued glass bottles in favour of plastic many years ago.
There are many of us who maintain the scent is unfavourably tainted by the plastic bottles, hence the effort to transfer the liquid to a glass vessel as soon as possible after purchase.
Finding the original glass bottles is ideal, and not too difficult. They turn up on ebay often. Unfortunately, the labels are usually deteriorated or gone completely.
The clever solution of a_wymer is to transfer the labels from the new plastic bottles to the vintage glass bottles without damaging them.
I, for one, look like to know how he does it!
Other solutions are hot sauce, soy, or any bottle that has a pouring restrictor built in which allows only a squirt at a time.
The two major problems inherent in all of these solutions is the difficulty of effectively cleaning out a bottle with a restrictor, and then filling that bottle through the restrictor.
Persistence, determination, and patience are requisite attributes of he who would undertake such an endeavour.

Pinaud discontinued glass bottles in favour of plastic many years ago.
There are many of us who maintain the scent is unfavourably tainted by the plastic bottles, hence the effort to transfer the liquid to a glass vessel as soon as possible after purchase.
Finding the original glass bottles is ideal, and not too difficult. They turn up on ebay often. Unfortunately, the labels are usually deteriorated or gone completely.
The clever solution of a_wymer is to transfer the labels from the new plastic bottles to the vintage glass bottles without damaging them.
I, for one, look like to know how he does it!
Other solutions are hot sauce, soy, or any bottle that has a pouring restrictor built in which allows only a squirt at a time.
The two major problems inherent in all of these solutions is the difficulty of effectively cleaning out a bottle with a restrictor, and then filling that bottle through the restrictor.
Persistence, determination, and patience are requisite attributes of he who would undertake such an endeavour.
The soy sauce bottles restrictors can easily be removed for filling and then put back on after filling.......
Also the way most people remove the labels is by putting Very hot water into the plastic bottle that has the label and waiting a few seconds and the glue on the label will loosen up as the bottle basically melts......Remember to get the label off before the bottle becomes a blob... :c9: 🤪

I too, am unaware that Pinaud ever issued those scents, with those modern labels, in glass bottles (photo 3 of 6).
However, the bottles are unmistakably Pinaud, like Lilac Vegetal, but with a different cap.
More clever label transfers by @a_wymer? Perhaps he will clarify...

For those curious, or maybe confused about the Pinaud Bottles, let me clarify....

All Pinaud glass bottles were purchased off of eBay over the period of 2+ years (fall-2018 to fall-2020).
  • With the exception of the two Pinaud bottles that are noted as Vintage ("AS-IS") listed below, all Pinaud bottles were purchased with little to no juice in them and had labels that were in average to below-average condition. I removed all labels and replaced with new Plastic Bottle labels and juice. All of the bottles that had received new juice didn't require much cleaning on the inside. For the Tall, Fat and Oblong Bottles, I only purchased and used bottles that were impeccable on the inside. These glass bottles would be too hard to clean on the inside. For the CORK-TOP bottles, those are harder to find without deposits or stains. I eventually found enough of them that were in great shape or easy enough to clean and remove any staining or deposits.
  • As far as I am aware, the only scent Pinaud ever had in the Fat Glass Bottles was: Lilac-Vegetal.
  • As far as I am aware, the only scents Pinaud ever had in the Tall Glass Bottles were: Lilac-Vegetal and Citrus-Musk and I've seen the red colored Pinaud Eau-De-Quinine Hair Tonic in same bottle too.
  • As far as I've seen, the only scents Pinaud ever had in the Oblong Glass Bottles were: Classic-Original-Aftershave, Leather-Aftershave (discontinued), and Special-Reserve-Aftershave.
Photo 1 of 6....The Tall Pinaud Bottles (12oz).
  • Bay Rum - ("Fat"; transferred fresh 12oz Plastic Bottle Juice + Sticker onto OLD Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Fat Bottle).
  • Lilac Vegetal - ("Fat"; green-top; original Juice + Sticker; completely vintage AS-IS, original Lilac Vegetal Fat Bottle).
  • Lilac Vegetal - ("Tall"; white-top; transferred fresh 12oz Plastic Bottle Juice + Sticker onto OLD Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Bottle).
  • Lime-Sec - ("Tall"; transferred fresh 12oz Plastic Bottle Juice + Sticker onto OLD Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Bottle).
  • Citrus Musk - ("Tall"; original Juice + Sticker; completely vintage AS-IS, original Citrus Musk Bottle).
Photo 2 of 6...The Oblong Pinaud Bottles (8oz).
  • All 4 Bottles - (transferred fresh 6oz Plastic Bottle Juice + Sticker onto OLD Pinaud Classic-Original Oblong Bottle).
  • I also used a 1.7oz Sample Bottle's JUICE for each scent for the remaining contents to reach ~8oz fluid for each bottle.
Photo 3 of 6...The Cork-Top Pinaud Bottles (8oz).
  • All 6 Bottles -- (transferred fresh 6oz Plastic Bottle Juice + Sticker onto OLD(VERY OLD) Ed Pinaud Paris Cologne Bottles).
  • I also used a 1.7oz Sample Bottle's JUICE for each scent for the remaining contents to reach ~8oz fluid for each bottle.
Photo 4 of 6...Osage Rub
  • Two of three bottles have original STICKERS...But, All three bottles have FRESH JUICE. Each of the three had several ounces of original juice in them when purchased, but I cleaned each one out thoroughly and put fresh juice in all of them.
  • One of the three has a new Label on it that I transferred from the Plastic Bottle version.
Photo 5 and 6...Skin Bracer and Aqua-Velva
  • All glass bottles were purchased AS-IS and have original labels and juice. These were easier to find as these products went to plastic more recently than Pinaud. All the Juice smells great!

The process of transferring from plastic to glass was clumsy at first but after the 1st transfer I got the process smoothed out and it went rather easy.
  • I pulled out the reducer from the plastic bottles so that I could stick my 10ml Pipette Tip into the bottle and suck out 10ml of liquid at a time. Then I put the tip into the opening of glass bottles (you must find pipette that has skinny enough tip to fit into the opening of the Pinaud bottles) and sprayed in the juice.​
  • After all juice was transferred from plastic to glass you could then transfer Label. To do the label you have two options:
    1. Fill Plastic Bottle with water and microwave until water gets hot enough. Maybe 30 seconds. However, some labels will start to curl up, 'crack' and become damaged and worthless in this process. The Clubman Reserve "Green" labels that I put on the CORK-TOP bottles had this issue. Those labels were the worst. "Cheapest". After the second one I used method #2.
    2. Fill Plastic Bottle with very hot water by using a Pipette or a funnel if you have a small enough one to use; transferred from a mug of water that you've microwaved (130F is ideal). You don't want to make the water too hot because some labels can develop cracks/damage. Let the water sit in plastic bottle for a minute. Some of the labels will start to curl up at the edges which allows you to start to pull the label off and set it on glass bottle. You'll have a good few minutes where the tacky-glue on the label will allow you to set the label and pull up again and off to reset it if not perfect. Be patient but don't waste too much time. Once the glue starts to cool it becomes harder to set.
I hope this information helps.

Let me know if you have any more questions or need more clarity on anything.

Thanks.

Last edited:
For those curious, or maybe confused about the Pinaud Bottles, let me clarify....

All Pinaud glass bottles were purchased off of eBay over the period of 2+ years (fall-2018 to fall-2020).
  • With the exception of the two Pinaud bottles that are noted as Vintage ("AS-IS") listed below, all Pinaud bottles were purchased with little to no juice in them and had labels that were in average to below-average condition. I removed all labels and replaced with new Plastic Bottle labels and juice. All of the bottles that had received new juice didn't require much cleaning on the inside. For the Tall, Fat and Oblong Bottles, I only purchased and used bottles that were impeccable on the inside. These glass bottles would be too hard to clean on the inside. For the CORK-TOP bottles, those are harder to find without deposits or stains. I eventually found enough of them that were in great shape or easy enough to clean and remove any staining or deposits.
  • As far as I am aware, the only scent Pinaud ever had in the Fat Glass Bottles was: Lilac-Vegetal.
  • As far as I am aware, the only scents Pinaud ever had in the Tall Glass Bottles were: Lilac-Vegetal and Citrus-Musk and I've seen the red colored Pinaud Eau-De-Quinine Hair Tonic in same bottle too.
  • As far as I've seen, the only scents Pinaud ever had in the Oblong Glass Bottles were: Classic-Original-Aftershave, Leather-Aftershave (discontinued), and Special-Reserve-Aftershave.
  • Bay Rum - ("Fat"; transferred fresh 12oz Plastic Bottle Juice + Sticker onto OLD Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Fat Bottle).
  • Lilac Vegetal - ("Fat"; green-top; original Juice + Sticker; completely vintage AS-IS, original Lilac Vegetal Fat Bottle).
  • Lilac Vegetal - ("Tall"; white-top; transferred fresh 12oz Plastic Bottle Juice + Sticker onto OLD Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Bottle).
  • Lime-Sec - ("Tall"; transferred fresh 12oz Plastic Bottle Juice + Sticker onto OLD Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Bottle).
  • Citrus Musk - ("Tall"; original Juice + Sticker; completely vintage AS-IS, original Citrus Musk Bottle).
  • All 4 Bottles - (transferred fresh 6oz Plastic Bottle Juice + Sticker onto OLD Pinaud Classic-Original Oblong Bottle).
  • All 6 Bottles -- (transferred fresh 6oz Plastic Bottle Juice + Sticker onto OLD(VERY OLD) Ed Pinaud Paris Cologne Bottles).
Photo 4 of 6...Osage Rub
  • Two of three bottles have original STICKERS...But, All three bottles have FRESH JUICE. Each of the three had several ounces of original juice in them when purchased, but I cleaned each one out thoroughly and put fresh juice in all of them.
  • One of the three has a new Label on it that I transferred from the Plastic Bottle version.
  • All glass bottles were purchased AS-IS and have original labels and juice. These were easier to find as these products went to plastic more recently than Pinaud. All the Juice smells great!

The process of transferring from plastic to glass was clumsy at first but after the 1st transfer I got the process smoothed out and it went rather easy.
  • I pulled out the reducer from the plastic bottles so that I could stick my 10ml Pipette Tip into the bottle and suck out 10ml of liquid at a time. Then I put the tip into the opening of glass bottles (you must find pipette that has skinny enough tip to fit into the opening of the Pinaud bottles) and sprayed in the juice.​
  • After all juice was transferred from plastic to glass you could then transfer Label. To do the label you have two options:
    1. Fill Plastic Bottle with water and microwave until water gets hot enough. Maybe 30 seconds. However, some labels will start to curl up, 'crack' and become damaged and worthless in this process. The Clubman Reserve "Green" labels that I put on the CORK-TOP bottles had this issue. Those labels were the worst. "Cheapest". After the second one I used method #2.
    2. Fill Plastic Bottle with very hot water by using a Pipette or a funnel if you have a small enough one to use; transferred from a mug of water that you've microwaved (130F is ideal). You don't want to make the water too hot because some labels can develop cracks/damage. Let the water sit in plastic bottle for a minute. Some of the labels will start to curl up at the edges which allows you to start to pull the label off and set it on glass bottle. You'll have a good few minutes where the tacky-glue on the label will allow you to set the label and pull up again and off to reset it if not perfect. Be patient but don't waste too much time. Once the glue starts to cool it becomes harder to set.

Thanks.
Excellent summary!

Photo 4 of 6...Osage Rub

Thanks.
Thanks for the thorough explanation.
It's even more impressive now that we know what you went through to achieve those results!
The tombstone bottles are best known for Lilac Vegetal, but I believe the Bay Rum was also marketed in the same bottle before they went to plastic.
I believe the tall, round barbers' bottles were used for their entire line at one time, but they were largely confined to the trade, and their line was rather limited back then as well, but included Eau de Portugal hair tonic, as I recall.
The flask bottles (oblong), were sold to customers at barber shops, so shaped to make them easy to tote in a jacket pocket. In addition to those you listed, Lilac Vegetal also came in a flask.
For a time, Pinaud made a glass "mini-flask" that barbers could give away as a promo, but I believe it only contained the after-shave line, not any hair tonics.
Although I already have an original Lilac Vegetal glass bottle, I will definitely employ your method the next time I acquire another Pinaud scent in one of those horrible plastic bottles!

Thanks for the thorough explanation.
It's even more impressive now that we know what you went through to achieve those results!
The tombstone bottles are best known for Lilac Vegetal, but I believe the Bay Rum was also marketed in the same bottle before they went to plastic.
I believe the tall, round barbers' bottles were used for their entire line at one time, but they were largely confined to the trade, and their line was rather limited back then as well, but included Eau de Portugal hair tonic, as I recall.
The flask bottles (oblong), were sold to customers at barber shops, so shaped to make them easy to tote in a jacket pocket. In addition to those you listed, Lilac Vegetal also came in a flask.
For a time, Pinaud made a glass "mini-flask" that barbers could give away as a promo, but I believe it only contained the after-shave line, not any hair tonics.
Although I already have an original Lilac Vegetal glass bottle, I will definitely employ your method the next time I acquire another Pinaud scent in one of those horrible plastic bottles!

Didn't know about the Bay Rum ever being sold in the 'tombstone' Glass version of bottle from the old days. I haven't seen a version of that vintage anywhere, but i'll take your word for it. I will keep an eye out for those though.

I've seen the mini-flask glass bottles on Ebay, but i haven't obtained any. Wasn't worth it to me, but maybe i'll get them one day to round out the collection. People are asking ridiculous amounts for them though. I've seen Lilac-Vegetal, Classic-AS, and Special-Reserve in the min-flask glass versions so far.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So...

A) Decanting is to eliminate sediment.
B) Yes, I utilize a decanter for wine and certain other adult beverages to minimize unpleasant elements.
C) If you are decanting aftershaves and not drinking them you are a badass and I don't care what anyone thinks.

Carry on.

Didn't know about the Bay Rum ever being sold in the 'tombstone' Glass version of bottle from the old days. I haven't seen a version of that vintage anywhere, but i'll take your word for it. I will keep an eye out for those though...
Lilac Vegetal dates from the 1830's, and Pinaud's Bay Rum from as early as the end of the 19th century...that I know of, possibly earlier. I've seen Lilac Vegetal in tombstone bottles dating back to the early 20th century. It was called Lilas de France then.
Here's a Lilac Vegetal bottle from the 1930's when they first used the "Clubman" image that would later become an eponymous line of gent's toiletries.
Lilc Veg clubman.jpg

Here's an ad showing an even earlier bottle of Lilas de France, pre-1920:
Lilas de France ad.jpg

Here's a late-19th century ad showing a similar tombstone bottle, then known as "Extrait Végétal a L'Ixora:"
old Pinaud ad.jpg

Regret I too cannot find an image of a glass tombstone bottle of Bay Rum, but many will remember that before Pinaud came out with all these new scents in tombstone bottles (Tequila, Cognac, etc...), only Lilac Vegetal and Bay Rum were ever sold in those bottles, even in the earliest days of the plastic bottles, over 30 years ago now. When the parent company, American Industrial Industries switched to plastic bottles in the 1980's, they simply replicated the same glass bottles as were being used at the time; the Clubman line were in flasks, the hair tonic and large barber bottles were round, and Lilac Vegetal and Bay Rum were in tombstone bottles, because they were both already in glass tombstone bottles before the change.
The bottle shape was not exclusive to Pinaud. Many brands have had similarly-styled bottles for perfumes, colognes or after-shave lotions since the late 1800's. Pinaud used the bottle for their fine perfume line, which was sold at retail in their New York shop and in department stores.
The Clubman line was created in the 1940's as a cheap line of men's toiletries and only sold in barber-shops. Pinaud would not carry Clubman products in their N.Y. shop, or elsewhere at retail. They had their reputation as a fine French perfume house to protect. In fact, Lilac Vegetal and Bay Rum were first reformulated in the 1930's to make them more affordable. Note: the Bay Rum (like Lilac Vegetal), was not part of the Clubman line back then.
Also, many are unaware that the entire line was reformulated specifically for the switch to plastic bottles, because some ingredients would not remain stable in plastic. It was at this time that some gents complained of the change, because the scents were no longer exactly the same. Usually synthetics were substituted and scent was deemed inferior, and especially weaker, or not as rich.
Despite that effort, the complaint still to-day is that the scents seem to sour in the plastic bottles and thus benefit from decanting into glass vessels.

@cryhavoc Oh I like that idea! I'm gonna look into decanting some Pinnaud Clubman into a hot sauce bottle. I think I have one that's almost done.
I see vintage Avon bottles on the 'Bay -- for example, the green glass 1953 Buick decanters that Avon sold its "Clint" aftershave in. I always liked Clint, and I might try one of the full ones. But is it possible to open the old decanter up enough, first to rinse it out, and then to pour or even dribble the Clubman into it?

I see vintage Avon bottles on the 'Bay -- for example, the green glass 1953 Buick decanters that Avon sold its "Clint" aftershave in. I always liked Clint, and I might try one of the full ones. But is it possible to open the old decanter up enough, first to rinse it out, and then to pour or even dribble the Clubman into it?

The orifice in most of the old Avon bottles is part of the glass and not removable. A mini funnel or perfumer's funnel is what you need. I found these at a local Ace Hardware for cheap. Works great. A little alcohol to rinse the bottle out before filling should work to clean residue. Hope this helps.

mini funnel.jpg.jpg

I ended up using mostly Crystal Hot Sauce bottles with a funnel which worked very nicely after a thorough cleaning and a rinse with distilled water 👍

Are natural corks good enough to protect the aftershaves from evaporating or losing their potency?

And is it all pinaud variations that go nasty in the plastic or just a few? And do they go bad because of chemical reactions from the formula and the plastic mixing?

Are natural corks good enough to protect the aftershaves from evaporating or losing their potency?

And is it all pinaud variations that go nasty in the plastic or just a few? And do they go bad because of chemical reactions from the formula and the plastic mixing?
I've only ever tried the regular Clubman. I can attest that it stank in the plastic bottle but aired out nicely after being poured into a glass bottle (I used a soap/lotion bottle and pump).

As fir a cork, it should keep the contents in the bottle from evaporating. I mean, cork's been used as a stopper for centuries (millennia?) for just that purpose with respect to other (more expensive and highly prized) alcohols.

A natural cork will work if it's bunged tightly enough. It will also absorb the scent and cannot afterwards be used for anything else, even another scent.
Lilac Vegetal is infamous for not keeping well in plastic bottles, but all the Clubman scents benefit from decanting to glass.
The company re-formulated them decades ago specifically for the change to plastic bottles, but I'm not the only one who thinks they just didn't get it right.

Top Bottom