What's new

Decanting aftershaves

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I decanted a couple into glass a while back and now can't honestly say there better but they haven't degraded any. It's not real stylish but tobasco or soy sauce bottles work ok. You can remove the plastic reducers to aid in filling them up.
EXCELLENT advice. And timely, as I have just finished up some soy sauce.

I received my Pinaud lineup this week. Still awaiting the musk. I decided to transfer them all to glass to see if I can get the best from the scents. I found the vanilla and virgin island bay rum both had a similar skunky smell. I’m hoping that fades away or disappears altogether. I was pleased with how the label transfers went. They look good enough the wife might actually let me place them somewhere visible.
View attachment 1121372

Nice job on the label transfers!

I ordered hot sauce bottles (twelve 5oz) online, that come with restrictors that go over the lid after filling and are easily removable. They pour a real nice amount too (not a fan of the Aqua Velva Ice Blue restrictor and using a finger). I also ordered a pack of small aluminum funnels.

After one week, I can say Clubman smells better- stronger or more intense. From the bottle I can't tell a real difference in things like Old Spice or AV Ice Blue, but I'll see what happens when I splash them on.

Even if it doesn't make much of a scent difference, I like:
  • holding a glass bottle better
  • having one really good restrictor for all my splashes
  • the uniformity of all my splashes in one style/size of bottle, better for storage and/or display
AS decants.jpg

AS Clubman decant.jpg

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I rotate though all the drugstore classics, most of which have moved to plastic bottles. What I have found is that the plastics in new production really don’t cause any issue, until you open them and start adding air (oxygen) to the bottle. And except for Clubman, most change very little. Clubman does change. The good news is that Clubman recovers in a few weeks once you get it into glass.

Because I have old vintage bottles of the main ones that I never tossed out, I just constantly decant into them with fresh juice. For Clubman, I have three old Safari bottles that eat up two full Clubman bottles, so the Clubman always comes out untainted.

The newest version of SB is a little crisper than the old vintage blend, but the scent remains spot on to that from the 70s. SB remains my favorite of the old classics. Clean and unpretentious. The only one that has really changed from the old days, and not for the better, is OS. I have it, I keep it in glass, but P&G really screwed it up from the old Shulton formula. I rarely use it. And I’m hunting down Indian versions to get it.

Now that we are entering the heart of the hot summer, it’s Proraso green most mornings. And that starts out in glass.

Bottom line: decant Clubman, it’s a bad bottle. All the rest seem to live well in their new plastic homes.

Thrift (charity) shops sell bottles for a couple of dollars each. Bars have all kinds of corks. If you ask nicely, they'll give some to you for free. All of my aftershaves improved in glass.

KIMG0130.JPG

I've got 3 Tabasco sauce bottles cleaned. When I get a fourth bottle emptied and prepped I'm gonna try and home blend 4 scents, make a decanter holder for them, and put them in the bathroom if I can. 5 ounces of each will make a nice display, maybe even a gift.

Thrift (charity) shops sell bottles for a couple of dollars each. Bars have all kinds of corks. If you ask nicely, they'll give some to you for free. All of my aftershaves improved in glass.

View attachment 1122576

I see a couple of Patron bottles in there. Seems the openings would make it hard to control how much you pour out.

Today, I transferred my Old Spice from it's plastic to a vintage glass bottle I picked on on the big auction site. Still looking for a reasonably priced bottle of vintage OS.

I see a couple of Patron bottles in there. Seems the openings would make it hard to control how much you pour out.

Today, I transferred my Old Spice from it's plastic to a vintage glass bottle I picked on on the big auction site. Still looking for a reasonably priced bottle of vintage OS.

Never had an issue with it. They have all sizes, though.

This was my attempt at decanting. I decanted the bottle of clubman 3 weeks ago with an old cork bottle I had. It turned out real well. I just decanted the bay rum today. I used a bottle from the dollar tree. The empty bottles on the left and right can be had literally for a dollar a piece there. I’m new at this stuff so I’m going to see how it works out.
5D9B96C6-B335-406A-8EE7-3D889C42D088.jpeg

I just mentioned this in another thread on decanting after shave splashes, but I used empty liquid soap glass bottles with pumps for my Pinaud Clubman and my Aqua Velva.

Attachments

• 3B96C36D-D724-4F2C-B860-5ACF406D706F.jpeg
    3B96C36D-D724-4F2C-B860-5ACF406D706F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've just always bought new bottles off the internet. Get a consistent set without any cleaning. They're cheap.

AA

I like various shapes so I go with hot sauce and empty aftershaves. Still need to make a label for the citrus sec

Attachments

• BB9E1BEB-B321-4A3E-9339-14B47F8FBE60.jpeg
    BB9E1BEB-B321-4A3E-9339-14B47F8FBE60.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
There's a huge market of empty Avon decanters out there (many people mistakenly empty them thinking the bottle is of any value). I use a "flavor injector" to transfer from plastic into a glass bottle.
258252cc-2a8c-4973-af84-39d685bff1e9_1.bdbf149ea715d963a45e6251664dee8d.jpeg

I've repurposed bottles of Wright's Liquid Smoke before; I just happen to think it's a rather good looking bottle.

To clean an empty I put in a few drops of Clorox bleach, fill it to top with water and leave it overnight. Soaking a bottle in a bowl of bleach water will also (cleanly) remove even the most stubborn label adhesive in my experience.
Bottle.jpg

Top Bottom