What's new

Decanting aftershaves

So, for those of you using empty hot sauce bottles (that previously held hot sauce), what is your cleaning process? My empty Cholula bottle and I want to know!

So, for those of you using empty hot sauce bottles (that previously held hot sauce), what is your cleaning process? My empty Cholula bottle and I want to know!
After rinsing out what I can, I put a capful of household bleach in the bottle, top it off with water and let it soak for a few hours. Sometimes its easier to mix bleach water in a glass bowl and soak the bottle in the bowl, whatever works. After soaking, rinse with hot water. Bleach water will also remove many labels, label adhesive. Not always, mind you, but most of them in my experience.

Just warm water and dish soap and rinse it very well with a final rinse of distilled water. Then I let the bottle dry out for a day and it’s ready to go.

If the bottle has a plastic restrictor I let that soak for a while in the dish soap or a little bleach to remove the red from the hot sauce but I’ve never been able to fully remove the coloring so I opted for Crystal hot sauce bottles with the built-in restrictor and use a pharmacy syringe for kids to pour the after shave into the bottle.

Just warm water and dish soap and rinse it very well with a final rinse of distilled water. Then I let the bottle dry out for a day and it’s ready to go.

If the bottle has a plastic restrictor I let that soak for a while in the dish soap or a little bleach to remove the red from the hot sauce but I’ve never been able to fully remove the coloring so I opted for Crystal hot sauce bottles with the built-in restrictor and use a pharmacy syringe for kids to pour the after shave into the bottle.
Do you think after washing it and rinsing, a spin through the dishwasher would help? I'm thinking the high heat of the dishwasher will disinfect and sanitize, but I don't know if anything would actually end up in the bottle.

Do you think after washing it and rinsing, a spin through the dishwasher would help? I'm thinking the high heat of the dishwasher will disinfect and sanitize, but I don't know if anything would actually end up in the bottle.
If you don't want to use bleach to sanitize, you can submerge the bottle in boiling water for 5 minutes.

I'd like to share my glass collection.... (1 of 6)
AS_Glass_Pinaud_TallBoys.jpg

Most of these bottles were obtained off of eBay.

Yes. Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva are all original glass bottles and juice.

2 of the 3 Osage Rub bottles were empty bottles with original stickers. The third Osage Rub bottle had a badly deteriorated sticker that I removed and replaced with the sticker from the plastic bottle. All three bottles had fresh juice transferred from plastic bottles to the glass bottles.

Most of the Pinaud bottles had little to no juice in them when obtained from eBay. Many had badly deteriorated stickers, so I removed all old stickers before decanting fresh contents from new-plastic bottles. I transferred plastic bottle stickers to the glass bottles. The only Pinaud bottles that have original juice and sticker is the green-top Lilac Vegetal and the Citrus Musk.

Most of these bottles were obtained off of eBay.

Yes. Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva are all original glass bottles and juice.

2 of the 3 Osage Rub bottles were empty bottles with original stickers. The third Osage Rub bottle had a badly deteriorated sticker that I removed and replaced with the sticker from the plastic bottle. All three bottles had fresh juice transferred from plastic bottles to the glass bottles.

Most of the Pinaud bottles had little to no juice in them when obtained from eBay. Many had badly deteriorated stickers, so I removed all old stickers before decanting fresh contents from new-plastic bottles. I transferred plastic bottle stickers to the glass bottles. The only Pinaud bottles that have original juice and sticker is the green-top Lilac Vegetal and the Citrus Musk.
So the Pinaud bottles are actual original bottles when they used glass at one time?

Why can't they just offer glass bottles again as an option for those who want them, and charge a couple of bucks more?? Even if just available on a website so as not to mess with their current distribution setup...

So the Pinaud bottles are actual original bottles when they used glass at one time?
I too, am unaware that Pinaud ever issued those scents, with those modern labels, in glass bottles (photo 3 of 6).
However, the bottles are unmistakably Pinaud, like Lilac Vegetal, but with a different cap.
More clever label transfers by @a_wymer? Perhaps he will clarify...

Top Bottom