What's new

Participation PIF- Let's Hammer out some shaves

Mine arrived today! First shave tomorrow with my Timeless SS .68 OC on three days of growth. Haven’t decided on soap yet.

View attachment 1162379
I have the same plan with my blade(s), except mine is scalloped, and I'll only have 24 hours of growth. I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable which may be more fitting, but I'll start with what I've been using the most lately.

I'm thinking maybe increased efficiency in the slant helped it a bit, or I might not have liked it as much
I'll be honest, I was kind of hoping this blade would crap out on me and give me an excuse to toss it, but it just trundles along being quietly mediocre.
Pass one felt and sounded like sandpaper, but near the end of the first pass it started easing up.
It was surprising tuggy on my cheeks but easier/smoother around my adam's apple. It did the job as an ok shave but it wasn't great. I'll try again in the AM.

Also to note, my first blade looked like the stamping was wiped/erased and re-stamped

These pretty perfectly summarize my experience with this blade. The first pass sounds and "feels" (mentally, not physically) very rough and uncomfortable, but it it seems to get me to DFS Everytime, even though it may take a bit more touch up or even one more pass (I've had pretty decent luck with wtg, xtg, xtg, the other way and sometimes an atg if I feel like it if I want DFS+).

I don't think I could get BBS with this blade on my whole face at all. It seems it can't ever do a "complete" removal job on the problem spots just below my jawline no matter what I try.

I do think this is a duller blade, but which I usually HATE. It treats my skin great though and seems almost impossible for me to knick myself.

I definitely have better results on more aggressive settings in my Slim or in my RR 37 when I have more than a day between shaves.

I'm up to ~8 shaves on the first blade and it keeps soldiering in I'm quite, but comfortable mediocrity. No noticable increase or decrease in shave experience from start to finish for me.

I ended up mailing out the majority of the blades I had, but I think I'll keep what I have left, preloaded in either my Slim or red tip for the occasional "oh no, I'm late for work" 5 min with Cremo or proraso smeared on my face shave.

Glad to see most of these are starting to arrive.

Enjoy!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Had my first shave with the Hammer today, as the blades arrived this AM.

"Hammer" is a PERFECT name for this blade during it's first pass.

I had committed to the "Slantember" deal this month. I did a decent prep, face lathered some awesome cream that @Space_Cadet gave me. I also mixed a little bar Brut soap into my beard.

First stroke I went right for the mustache area. WHOA! My RR 37 German thingy made me think I was using a chainsaw doggone! Pulled like horse with it's tail on fire! Eventually it settled down. Eventually.

Rinsed my face with warm water and expected it to feel like gasoline.
It did not. No real problems. So I lathered up again for pass number two because I had some stubble in the regular spot: right side under my chin.

After the second pass I applied my secret recipe vintage Avon Tribute with some drops of Bergamot essential oil mixed in it just because I like the smell of limes and @Ad Astra !

Now a few hours later here I am, rubbing my incredibly handsome face and enjoying a BBS shave. No kidding. That chainsaw blade delivered, but for the life of me I don't know how. It honestly was the single most uncomfortable shave of my life.

LOL! and I'm committed to using an open comb for all of October! I should be committed! I have a feeling that @tbhoff is in cahoots with @Grundi in hoping to make a real man out of me. Good luck! I'm still a sissy boy after 30+ years of marriage to the War Department.

I can't BELIEVE how nice my face feels now. No burn, irritation. Nothing. Strong voodoo on that Hammer blade my friends. Wow.

The Hammer made its way and arrived in Malaysia...!!! Many thanks, @tbhoff for sending all the way here...
First shave tomorrow...I purposely did not read all the reviews above....until I shave with it and then compare...
20201001_102935 (2).jpg

Shave number two with the Hammer, again the Timeless with the the .68 scalloped base plate. This morning it was Pre de Provence original for the lather and an Oumo 2-band brush. Had a great lather. I took the time to run the blade on my McKeen hone, which I have had excellent luck taming rough blades in the past. The first few strokes were a definite improvement over shave #1, but after that it backslid into the same rough shave. I finished first pass with the Hammer and then ended going to a nearby Slim with a GSB blade to finish 2 and 3. I'm thinking of slipping this Hammer into the blade bank and starting from scratch (no pun intended). I don't have "sensitive skin," but it sure feels tender after the Hammer.

Shave number one this morning was with my Timeless SS .68 OC, SOC Taj Boar brush, and SV 70th soap and aftershave.

I don't like this blade. Not one bit. LOTS of tugging during the WTG pass on three days' growth and bearable performance on the XTG pass. I usually get a DFS easily using this same combo with Astra SP, Feather, and Med Prep (my regular rotation blades), but the Hammer didn't shave close enough to pass the mirror test. If I'd just come over from cartridges to DE shaving with this blade, I'd believe DE shaving is no better.

I'll give it a go in my R41, New LC, Goodwill #160, and Wolfman WR2 (when it arrives) to see if it smooths out any, but I can say at this point I won't be searching for more of these blades.

On a positive note, I didn't have any nicks, cuts, or irritation, so at least there's that.

Shave number one this morning was with my Timeless SS .68 OC, SOC Taj Boar brush, and SV 70th soap and aftershave.

I don't like this blade. Not one bit. LOTS of tugging during the WTG pass on three days' growth and bearable performance on the XTG pass. I usually get a DFS easily using this same combo with Astra SP, Feather, and Med Prep (my regular rotation blades), but the Hammer didn't shave close enough to pass the mirror test. If I'd just come over from cartridges to DE shaving with this blade, I'd believe DE shaving is no better.

I'll give it a go in my R41, New LC, Goodwill #160, and Wolfman WR2 (when it arrives) to see if it smooths out any, but I can say at this point I won't be searching for more of these blades.

On a positive note, I didn't have any nicks, cuts, or irritation, so at least there's that.
Having used a similar razor (twice) with the Hammer, I have to agree with you.

First shave with the Hammer was today. I chose to work an all vintage shave to accommodate the blade. Many of my observations seems to align with others so far.

After unwrapping I noticed the blade was certainly thicker than modern blades. I had recently used Nacets and GSBs prior to this to try and compare.

The alignment wasn't an issue in my Gillette New Long Comb. I choose the NLC as it is a mild shaver and as such I would anticipate it being kind to this blade.

Immediatly upon the first stroke I noticed a much stiffer blade feel and can concur with the previously reported tugging. I felt the need to perform touch ups on each pass to work through this. The tugging was not horrible, but it did eventually make me stopping trying to touch up areas, and just let things be. Certainly not as smooth as moderns, but not the worst blade ever. I will give it a few more shaves, while trying other razors, to see if anything changes.

If it was the only blade I had, I'd use it, but it would not be one I reached for.

Razor: Gillette New Long Open Comb
Blade: Hammer Brand Blade (1)
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 22mm Two Band Badger
Soap: Vintage Shulton Old Spice (Belgium Mug 02)
Splash: Vintage Shulton Old Spice ("Sound fast..." Scrimshaw Decanter)

20201001_092107.jpg

20200930_162834.jpg

First, a baseline about me: Feathers irritate my skin, and my favorites are Bolzano and Personna Lab Blue. I've been wet shaving for 2.5 months, so I'm still exploring blades. I have about 40 different blades to pick from at the moment, so I use a spreadsheet to keep notes.

Lather was DG Tribute from a sample. Bowl lathered, high hydration.

First I loaded the blade into a Muhle R89. The R89 has round posts, and the Hammer did not fit tightly around them. I had to manually align the blade which I've never had to worry about in the past. That's when I decided to pull out the Gillette Slim Adjustable. It had a lot less play with the center bar setup.

The blade, to my eye, looked like it was unevenly ground. One side has a larger bevel, and when loaded in the Gillette Slim Adj. one side appears to protrude further. I don't think it was enough to affect the shave.

First pass: Setting 5. I usually go for setting 4 with other blades, but knowing it was a dull blade I started slightly higher. Tugging. Oh the tugging. It reminded me of when I would use a Fusion cartridge for 3 months trying to save money.

Second pass: Setting 9. Obviously a dull blade, lets see how I do with a really large blade gap. Not much better. XTG was still tuggy.

Third pass: Setting 3. Lets see how she does on a mild setting. At this point it was pretty comfortable, with slightly less tugging, but it was very inefficient.

Fourth pass: Setting 3. I usually do 3 passes with pickups, but I did a full 4th pass. End result was a step or two below DFS.

My skin felt slightly irritated, which is a big no-no for me. Aftershave provided a few localized spots of high burn, and a generally dull burn on the rest of my face.

Now I have to decide if I want to see what shave #2 feels like, or if I want to give up on this endeavor. I think I'll just go with my gut tomorrow morning.

On one hand, this is NOT why I got into wet shaving! On the other hand, how often to you get to try such a blade?

Last edited:
Starting slow. Received blades on Tues. One from tuck 20 one from 2 and the Astra for comparison. I had just finished a shave with a Kia so these will definitely be different.
I have old whiskers. They are tough. Skin is probably about average. Usually don't get much irritation. Decided to do something different to test these out. Give them a minimal prep and a foam instead of soap.

I have had a can of Barbasol Original for a couple years. Used it 4 or 5 times. Prep was wetting face, rubbing some soap on it, scrubbing 15 seconds with hands, putting hot wash cloth on it for 30 seconds, wiped soap off. Lathered by hand with gob of Barbasol. This should test the blade out with tough hair.

Got out the Gillette Slim on 5, inserted blade from tuck 20 and started on the right cheek. Thought it was going to pull each hair out individually. Just a tad pully! Not going to work. After about 1/2 the face and neck, reset Slim to 3 and it was a bit better. Finished the first pass without nicks, but still not too nice. Relather with the Barbasol and tried the 2nd pass. Not much better. Pulled out the Cremo and rubbed some on face to improve slickness. It did help, but only marginally, still not a winner. Finished and put on some Aqua Velva. Just a little tingle. No real irritation, but barely an acceptable shave. Decided to try again Thursday.

Thursday, today, decided to use blade from tuck 2. Same set up. Minimal prep with Slim on 4 this time. Barbasoled up and went at it. Surprisingly, there was less pulling. The hairs tugged but then gave in and sliced off. (First blade (20) not good? Try it again tomorrow.) Continued the pulling/slicing on 1/2 the face and switched blades to the Astra. Night and day. No pull, just slice. Quite a difference.

On the second pass I did the same, Hammer (and sickle) on 1/2, Astra on other. I usually do 2 1/2 passes or so just to get the stragglers. Finished with Alum bar - just a tingle, no obvious irritation. Then Aqua Velva, just another tingle. Finished shave was similar on both sides, but the Astra was much easier during the shave. Shave much better/closer than from Wednesday.

Tomorrow I'm going back to the first blade and see what changes. I will change my prep to a more traditional one with better softening and a better soap lather. Day after I will return to today's two blades and try that again. I'll report back on Sat. on those two days results.

I gave my first Hammer a second shot today. Stayed with the 40s Superspeed, unknown brush and Arko stick this time.

I really felt the tug and one side of the blade was definitely better than the other. Got the job done, but it wasn't pleasant.

I gave it a palm stropping to give it one more shot. Maybe in a different razor. I don't know yet.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Is anyone else of the opinion that these blades would have been a whole lot better with the wax dots holding them in place? I think one edge of the one I used was noticeably better than the other, which I theorize is the one edge was resting on the paper wrapper, instead of suspended above it by the wax.

Lol, this is why I never complain about the GSB! They are SHARP!

Fri 2nd OCtober #2 SOTD with New Brush & Pif Hammer Blade...
Soap Ariana & Evans Peach & Cognac
Brush Boti 26mm Fan Silvertip with acrylic wood handle
Razor Fatip OC Grande
Blade Hammer Stainless (Astra SS 3)
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water & Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman Whisky Wood
One of my softest brush...not easy to create as much lather...
Shave with razor paired with the Pif blade...1st wtg pass...ouucchh! It skips and tugs...ouucchh..can't continue. Replaced with the Astra SS 3rd. Much better and smoother for a complete 3pass but some weepers. Ice water rinse stop that and no irritation. Aftershave was good. Rating 9/10
May try again in another razor tomorrow....just to give it a chance...before final verdict...
20201002_102955.jpg

Hammer shaves round 2:

My goodness this was much better. I switched out the new long comb for a fat handle tech, and that made all the difference. I honestly would have thought I had a completely different blade in the there in comparison to yesterdays shave. A slight amount of tugging did still exist, but I would put it on par with a heavily used blade starting to show it may be finished. I was happy in my completion of all three passes and minor touch up ending in a nice DFS for the day. If you have a fat handle tech in the rotation, try it with the Hammer most certainly. I will continue with this setup tomorrow.

Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Hammer Brand Blades (2)
Brush: Yaqi Lucky Dice 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Insurgent
Splash: Old Spice Hawkridge
Balm: AoS Sandalwood

20201001_174131.jpg

Well, I'll try blade #2 in a Tech then, see what happens. I would have thought the Timeless .68 was perfect, but we shall see.

Day 2, attempt 2.

Yesterday I decided that even though the shave was incredibly bad, I would consider trying it again today. I figured I would start on my cheeks, and if it didn't feel good I would simply give up.

So that's what happened. A few swipes on my cheeks, and it actually felt sort of okay, but as soon as I got to my chin I knew I had reached my limit. The Hammer from tuck 16 will be placed in the blade bank.

I've had a problem spot on my lower neck which I managed to heal up nicely over the past couple of weeks. Yesterday's shave reversed all of my hard work, so even if I try the second blade (from tuck #9 I think), I won't do a whole shave with it.

So I did my first Hammer shave yesterday. A very similar experience to what most of the others here have said. It was very tuggy and pretty uncomfortable, especially the first pass. I did a total of three passes like I usually would. It did a decent job. Not BBS but definitely adequate. As uncomfortable as the shave was I expected some bleeding but when all was said and done no nicks were found. I will give it a few more shaves and see how the blade develops.

My setup was as follows:
Pre-shave - Shower
Cream - Spanish Leather
Razor - Super Speed
Brush - Edwin Jagger best badger
Aftercare - Duke Cannon Cold as ice

Attachments

• sahve.jpg
    sahve.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom