What's new

September 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

It's funny how YMMV. I really like the 7OC Greens, just behind the Nacet as my favorite blade. However, at this point, I have about 23 tucks of Nacets, and since I go through them at the rate of about one blade per month - give or take - I'm set for quite a while. I've also got three tucks of Balzanos that came with my Fatip Piccolo; maybe I'll give those a try during OCtober, just to see how they fare.
Interesting. It felt a bit rougher than most blades for me. Not as rough as Derby but getting there. However, ATG was pretty smooth so it might be the initial blade sharp feeling. I'll try it with other razors and see if anything changes. I'm thinking of my Gillette old type but also a bit concerned, haha.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Super Speed, Shark SS, Zenith Manchurian, Cella, and Floid 'The Genuine' (Italian Floid). Still in.

The Zenith Manchurian, available for under $100,May be the best relative value in shaving. No, it isn't as nice as a Simpson Manchurian or a Paladin 2 band knot, but to my mind you won't get much closer.
(Photo from merchant's site)

zrnith manch.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Super Speed, Shark SS, Zenith Manchurian, Cella, and Floid 'The Genuine' (Italian Floid). Still in.

The Zenith Manchurian, available for under $100,May be the best relative value in shaving. No, it isn't as nice as a Simpson Manchurian or a Paladin 2 band knot, but to my mind you won't get much closer.
(Photo from merchant's site)

View attachment 1159457
Quoting myself... but I just realized my last post presents or encourages what the nuns used to call a 'proximate occasion of sin;' that is, here in the midst of a thread devoted to restraint in purchasing shaving gear I have gone and posted a tempting advertisement for Zenith Manchurian brushes.

Sorry. Obviously I wasn't thinking.

Still in.
Using the same setup, Proraso blue pre-shave and Single edge cream, Tatara with Gillette Platinum, Nivea sensitive splash and balm.

Nivea sensitive balm is one of those products that you wonder, why do you need anything else. It's does the job very well, almost no scent ( doesn't interfere) and quite cheap. I am not going to seek another better performing balm.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #6, GC.68, Boots #6
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

DFS again, but had to concentrate, and take evasive action around some sort of insect bite.

As a brush ignoramus and bowl-latherer, are the nuances of the fancier brushes mostly to do with face-lathering?

Mine whips up a bowl-lather fast enough, and isn't shedding, so I'm wondering if there's much performance improvement to be had.

I see there are real works of art out there, to be enjoyed as such.

As a brush ignoramus and bowl-latherer, are the nuances of the fancier brushes mostly to do with face-lathering?

Mine whips up a bowl-lather fast enough, and isn't shedding, so I'm wondering if there's much performance improvement to be had.

I see there are real works of art out there, to be enjoyed as such.

You need only one brush to get the job done and if you enjoy yours there is no need to look elsewhere. IMHO, a well broken-in boar is a joy to use. Given sufficient soap/cream and water, all of them will give you similar results.

IME, boars tend to require a bit more product and synthetics the least amount. Also, some soaps are more difficult to lather and synthetics, even the cheapest ones, can make your life easier. Badgers tend to produce lather quite easily, hold temperature longer and release lather more slowly. They are soft on the face (unless we are talking about pure and best badgers) and can give you a sense of luxury, especially if you face lather.

Face latherers like myself do desire some traits more than bowl latherers, like scrub, backbone, soft tips etc. only because the brush is usually in contact with the face longer. That's why a lot of face latherers prefer natural hair brushes.

And yes, you are paying extra for the brand name, a fancy handle and artistry in some cases, but also good quality control.

still in!

- Pre: shower
- Soap: DG Massacre of the Innocents
- Razor: 1956 Gillette Red Tip SS
- Blade: Vintage Hammer Stainless
- Brush: Simpson’s Special Best Badger
- Aftershave: DG Massacre of the Innocents

Good shave with some redness and a bit of stubble left after 3 passes.
AAF210D8-8531-401C-A774-19B61966E623.jpeg

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (14)
  • Piccadilly Sandalwood
  • Yaqi 24mm Badger
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I'm making good progress on the Piccadilly - I think the bottom of the tub will show through very soon. Today's lather was very nice again, but there's something about it that just doesn't thrill me. I'm not sure why, unless it's because I just don't care for sandalwood as a shaving scent...

After the initial face-lather:

SOTD_09252020_1.jpg
SOTD_09252020_3.jpg
SOTD_09252020_2.jpg

I remember doing the Keto diet for 30 days a year or two back. Did very well, both in losing a few pounds and kept to the strict diet without ever cheating.

The second I got off Keto, man did I go nuts with burritos and calzones.

I'm catching myself planning on my next purchases. I'm going to limit it to just 1 for now....

or 3...

I remember doing the Keto diet for 30 days a year or two back. Did very well, both in losing a few pounds and kept to the strict diet without ever cheating.

The second I got off Keto, man did I go nuts with burritos and calzones.

I'm catching myself planning on my next purchases. I'm going to limit it to just 1 for now....

or 3...
It sounds like you're still focused on what you don't have... :crying: rather than learning and loving what you do have... :001_wub:

Hold strong and re-focus! :a45:

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Used: Gillette Foam
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #7, GC.68, Boots #7
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

This was a re-orientation shave: what do I think of canned foam, after using soaps for ~ 7 weeks?

Did it save time? Not much, but I'm retired, so I don't value time like when I was still cursing my alarm clock.

It was thicker and less slick than what I would call an optimal lather. I got a very good result (call it a DFS), but the ATG was scrapier feeling.

Post-shave feel was startlingly good. I think the worst thing about it wasn't bad functionality, but that using it was dull.

Last edited:
Top Bottom