What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A good sink and great (natural is best) lighting make everything better.

Will this do?

shutterstock_1111939868-1200x800.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Maggard 22mm Synth
Soap: Proraso White
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)
033_40.jpg

Today's shave was Lo Storto good. I enjoyed switching from Astra SS to Astra SP. I keep going back and forth about whether I like platinum or stainless blades. Platinum seems to edge out stainless blades in comfort, and perhaps stainless edges platinum out for longevity? This is my own truism, I guess, but I'm already thinking about exceptions to the rules. I really enjoy being back with Proraso products. Life is always good with Proraso. It's the Barbasol of Italy. That means what ever they are doing it works. :001_wub:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I don’t have enough experience with either variety of Astra, but they’re both welcome in any of my DEs
Astra's are pretty darn good. I haven't used them in years when razor blade acquisition disorder hit. They were in my drawer gathering dust. I'm also thinking along the line of SS, SP, and even Chrome blade differences. I don't believe I have any Chromes lying around or even tried them.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
There’s an Astra Chrome? This is what I get for ladening my acquisition strategies in laminated lamentations of guilt. Missed a killer deal on a puck of The Fat ($11.99usd shipped) for that reason. Didn’t even know Jaws razor blades existed until Shark Week…

Raven Koenes

My precious!
There’s an Astra Chrome? This is what I get for ladening my acquisition strategies in laminated lamentations of guilt. Missed a killer deal on a puck of The Fat ($11.99usd shipped) for that reason. Didn’t even know Jaws razor blades existed until Shark Week…
There are no Astra Chromes. Just chrome razor blades in general...razor blades in general. :facep:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Astra SP are tied for the number one spot with German Wilkies for me. Excellent blades. Feather and Gillette SharpEdge give me more shaves, but take roughly that additional number of shaves to becaome as smooth as Astras are straight from the packet.

I haven't tried the stainless version, but already have a probably lifetime supply of blades anyway (600-ish) of about 10 great blades. That kind of makes further blade exploration a bit pointless for me.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Astra SP are tied for the number one spot with German Wilkies for me. Excellent blades. Feather and Gillette SharpEdge give me more shaves, but take roughly that additional number of shaves to becaome as smooth as Astras are straight from the packet.

I haven't tried the stainless version, but already have a probably lifetime supply of blades anyway (600-ish) of about 10 great blades. That kind of makes further blade exploration a bit pointless for me.
Astra SP was the first blade I ever used. Then I dove straight down the rabbit hole. I barely have touched them in years. Now that I've returned, all I can do is shake my head. There hasn't been a blade that has beat them. I could have stopped with them and not missed anything. German Wilkies...hmmm, I haven't tried them. :tongue_sm

This was my kit when I first started DE Wet Shaving. I posted this to the B&B beginner welcome page back in Septemeber of 2015. If I stayed here, I would have been totally happy. Note, the razors are two Merkur 34c's. I bought two because I heard of zamak rot around these parts. The other razor is a Micro Touch One (Weishi). That was my very first DE since the 1970's. The brush is an EJ Medium Super.
1_45.jpg

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: APShaveco Silksmoke
035_40.jpg

Nice shave, everything about this weeks lineup is fantastic as far as results. I may go with it for awhile.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
036_40.jpg

Today, the shave has settled in nicely with the Lo Storto and the Astra SP. It was super smooth with very little audio feed back from my Lo Storto. I always find that a bit on settling. Do I have the proper blade angle? I really love to feel the blade edge at all times. This was so smooth it was hard to tell. I guess you can chalk one up for the Astra SS blade, as it always lets you know where it is lol. In all seriousness, I'm really enjoying Astra SP.

Every time I use Proraso I always wonder why I use anything else? Then my weekly razor clean up day comes lol. I really enjoyed using my APShaveco SynBad. It is the undisputed King of my brush collection. The second runner up is my APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo. Happy shaves everyone!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
039_40.jpg

This is a nice kit. I'll probably go and mess it up next week by changing items. Why? Because that's how I roll. Expect the unexpected.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
A few years back I bought a Fatip Pure Badger Shaving Brush from Gifts and Care. I really tried to like the Pure Badger feel. I owned other Pure Bradger brushes that felt even worse. This was a high quality Badger knot as far as Pure grade goes. I did make excuses for it about how much better it was than other Pures. Given that, it sure did sit on my shelf a lot being a Fatip. Awhile back a friend here on B&B sent me a bunch of synthetic brushes. He knew I was into them. In the box was a Plissoft synthetic knot. I finally got brave enough to swap out the Pure Badger for the Plissoft. Here are the results, and I'll most likely use it all week next week.

Before:
005_20.jpg

After:
016_20.jpg
:001_wub:

A few years back I bought a Fatip Pure Badger Shaving Brush from Gifts and Care. I really tried to like the Pure Badger feel. I owned other brushes where the Pure Badger felt even worse. This was a high quality Badger knot as far as Pure grade goes. I did make excuses for it about how much better it was than other Pures. Given that it sure did sit on my shelf a lot given it's a Fatip. Awhile back a friend here on B&B sent me a bunch of synthetic brushes. He knew I was into them. In the box was a Plissoft synthetic knot. I finally got brave enough to swap out the Pure Badger for the Plissoft. Here are the results, and I'll most likely use it all week next week.

Before:
View attachment 1149700

After:
View attachment 1149701 :001_wub:

It looks great. Let's just hope it doesn't end up like in my dream a few weeks back where the loft on my beloved Omega was a mere half an inch and when I examined it in disbelief, the knot fell out and I couldn't figure out how to get it back in.

Top Bottom