What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
In-dust-tructable: Britain’s oldest hoover

Britain’s oldest working vacuum cleaner certainly is IN-DUST-RUCTIBLE – and is still being used 85 YEARS after it was first bought.

Owner Bill Whitwam inherited the 1929 Hoover Senior from his parents in the 1950s and the silver cleaner is still in working order – and has hoovered the equivalent of 125 Wembley pitches over almost a century in use.

In its eight and a half decades the Hoover has covered a whopping 224 acres – equal to 125 football pitches at Wembley Stadium.

View attachment 1139395
My mom still has the Hoover she bought in the 1950's that I grew up with in the 1960's.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I wish I had the one I got rid of to please my wife (she said it was old junk). How many have we had since that vacuum which might have been old but it was the opposite of junk and could be repaired endlessly, etc.

I'm pretty sure it was a Hoover.

The good ones now cost $1500. And, I'm not sure they're as good as the old ones.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Astra SS (5)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Cashmere
Soap: VDH Scented Luxury
Aftershave: VDH Post Shave Balm
042_42.jpg

I've just ended my week using VDH soap and balm. I'd like to say my last shave was the high point, but my shaves have been pretty much equally good all week. Next weeks line up will be my Fatip Lo Storto paired with an Astra SS. I was going to go 10 shaves on the Astra SS, but my blade collection is so huge why not swap once a week. It's not like I'll ever run out. For a soap, I'm going to shift gears and go with SV Stella Alpina with Pinaud Clubman Original for a splash. Happy shaves everyone!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I wish I had the one I got rid of to please my wife (she said it was old junk). How many have we had since that vacuum which might have been old but it was the opposite of junk and could be repaired endlessly, etc.

I'm pretty sure it was a Hoover.

The good ones now cost $1500. And, I'm not sure they're as good as the old ones.
From what I've seen, they make vacuums so you cant even change the brush anymore. Two to four years seems to be about the lifetime of Sharks and Dysons. We always get the warranty and swap them out before it expires. Then we take the old Vacuum to the neighborhood vacuum repair guy. He has a store front and sells them refurbished.

From what I've seen, they make vacuums so you cant even change the brush anymore. Two to four years seems to be about the lifetime of Sharks and Dysons.

Arthur Miller told us about this. How are they going to get us to keep buying new crap if the old crap is too good in the first place? I'm paraphrasing, of course.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SS (1)
Brush: Omega S10077
Soap: SV Stella Alpina
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
032_42.jpg

What a nice way to start out the week. I've really missed my SV soaps. Every time I use them I wonder why I use anything else? Everything about the shaving soap is exceptional, the consistency, feel, slickness, protection, glide all these terms used to describe shaving soaps SV has in spades. Stella Alpina is my very favorite SV scent, although I haven't tried Desert Vetiver yet. I had fun today and am continuing on with absolutely brilliant results.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm finding the Desert Vetiver scent a bit tiring. I left the lid off 5 days and its still strong.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm finding the Desert Vetiver scent a bit tiring. I left the lid off 5 days and its still strong.
I Think you'll find CRS French Vetiver will put you in a coma if Desert Vetiver is a bit tiring. This makes me want SV Desert Vetiver more. Just like a dog that gets out and heads straight for the first dead fish he can find to roll on. :w00t: :001_wub:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SS (2)
Brush: Omega S10019
045_42.jpg

This is my second shave of the week. Going from a balm to a splash is interesting. Especially using Pinaud Clubman where they go extra heavy on the Denat Alcohol. It's right up there with most artisan splashes like Stirling and B&M. I like them alright, but it makes me appreciate less heavy splashes like Reuzel, Gillette Cool Wave, Proraso Green, and Figaro Monsieur Ambre, and of course, my beloved, Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (it makes up for it in scent). I'm loving SV and I've missed it so much! Stella Alpina, now there's a scent to write home about!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I Think you'll find CRS French Vetiver will put you in a coma if Desert Vetiver is a bit tiring. This makes me want SV Desert Vetiver more. Just like a dog that gets out and heads straight for the first dead fish he can find to roll on. :w00t: :001_wub:

I'm willing to bet you find them both very different and I havent even smelled CRS yet.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SS (3)
Brush: Omega S11745
047_42.jpg

Everything is going well with this weeks shave. My Fatip Lo Storto effortlessly cleans all the hair from around my face leaving it smooth and shiny. The other products help quite a bit. I'd like to give a shoutout to water, shaving soaps, and aftershaves, without which wet shaving wouldn't quite be wet shaving.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SS (4)
Brush: Omega S10081
049_42.jpg

I must say that I'm really a big fan of water when it comes to wet shaving. Water helps make the wet shaving experience happen like nothing else. It really wouldn't be proper to call it wet shaving without it. Here's a thumbs up for water when wet shaving. Soaps are pretty good too. Soap is especially phenomenal when combined with water.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SS (5)
Brush: Omega S10065
051_42.jpg

I had another great shave to finish the week. Today, I'd like to give a shout out to the things that made my wet shaving experience more enjoyable. First, I'd like to recognize my bathroom tile floor. It's really nice to stand on and it cleans up easily when I splash water on it. It may not be the most forgiving surface when objects are dropped on it. I endeavor daily not to do that. My sink basin is also very nice. It may not be the biggest in the world but I can fit my shaving accoutrements around it. The track lighting is good. I appreciate good lighting when shaving along with a mirror set at the appropriate angle. There is no straining required for shaving with this set up. I also appreciate the small window that can be opened up, on hot days, to where my glasses don't steam up. These are all the unsung hero's that I take for granted unless there is a malfunction. Then I notice them alright.

Next weeks shave will be: My Lo Storto paired with an Astra SP. I'll go for platinum next week. My Maggard brush for sure and perhaps my APShaveco brushes. Proraso White and Proraso Green for a splash. That sounds about right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom