What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
He liked it better than PdP but I think he said they changed the formula a bit. I also think he buys it, in bulk, on Amazon.
They reformulated and took out the lanolin sometime back. My puck has been sitting in a box for six years. It doesn't have it. Whatever change they've made it works. I bought mine in bulk from Amazon as well. It's currently $9.31US for a pack of three. That does put it in direct competition with Arko if you are a US buyer. It's $21.78CAD which seems a lot even with free shipping. The slickness is on par with PdP and it loads itself.

Clay! I haven't heard from you for awhile. VDH is totally serviceable, and if you shop, you can get it for cheaper than Arko minus the "lovely" scent. Life is uncertain in these times. If it came down to it, it's a good soap. Not that I will ever be able to use what I have in this lifetime. :tongue_sm

I actually have a manageable cohort of soaps. About 2 years worth I imagine.

Thats the only soap @rabidus uses.

Good to see you around again Clay!

Thanks. Since I have figured out my likes and dislikes, the board has less draw for me. But I do enjoy the camaraderie and civility here!

He liked it better than PdP but I think he said they changed the formula a bit. I also think he buys it, in bulk, on Amazon.
The slickness is on par with PdP and it loads itself.

Strange you mention PdP. Pre de Provence - both types, L'Occitane Cade, and VDH are my permanent soap rotation. I occasionally work in Proraso Green as well. Anyone know of a triple milled menthol soap?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They reformulated and took out the lanolin sometime back. My puck has been sitting in a box for six years. It doesn't have it. Whatever change they've made it works. I bought mine in bulk from Amazon as well. It's currently $9.31US for a pack of three. That does put it in direct competition with Arko if you are a US buyer. It's $21.78CAD which seems a lot even with free shipping. The slickness is on par with PdP and it loads itself.

I'm glad I dont need any. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks. Since I have figured out my likes and dislikes, the board has less draw for me. But I do enjoy the camaraderie and civility here!

Anytime Clay!

Whats your best kit?

Strange you mention PdP. Pre de Provence - both types, L'Occitane Cade, and VDH are my permanent soap rotation. I occasionally work in Proraso Green as well. Anyone know of a triple milled menthol soap?

Not off the top of my head but I'm not big on menthols.

I think PdP is quad milled.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It's currently $9.31US for a pack of three. That does put it in direct competition with Arko if you are a US buyer. It's $21.78CAD which seems a lot even with free shipping.

9.31 USD is 21.78 CAD, did I read that right? I didn't think there was that big a disparity between the two currencies.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
9.31 USD is 21.78 CAD, did I read that right? I didn't think there was that big a disparity between the two currencies.

I guess its true, nothing in life is free. Especially shipping from Amazon lol.

Screenshot_2020-08-12 money converter - Google Search.png

Anytime Clay!

Whats your best kit?

I'll use my Gem 1912 19 times out of 20. A Gillette New LC or an injector the other time. Cade or PdP is the soap I reach for normally. Sea Breeze/Alum/Thayer's medicated witch hazel/Clubman or Avon is my normal post shave. I know I don't need them all, but I do enjoy the aromas and skin sensations from them, and the end result.

EDIT: Omega 10098 and Zenith B25 are my favorite brushes, though I do rotate through most of my 6 boars, 1 mixed, 1 horse, 1 badger, and very rarely 1 nylon.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'll use my Gem 1912 19 times out of 20. A Gillette New LC or an injector the other time. Cade or PdP is the soap I reach for normally. Sea Breeze/Alum/Thayer's medicated witch hazel/Clubman or Avon is my normal post shave. I know I don't need them all, but I do enjoy the aromas and skin sensations from them, and the end result.

Did I just hear Rave quack? :001_tongu

Thats the only reason I change soaps. I like a variety of scents. Even Arko is on my shelf now!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Astra SS (4)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: VDH Scented Luxury
Aftershave: VDH Post Shave Balm
041_42.jpg

Today was another day where I said this is such a great shave! Everything is going right this week. I not only say this is due to my Lo Storto paired with an Astra SS, but the quality of the VDH products I have been using. I've been considering, is it causation or correlation? Then I realize I've hit on the perfect razor and blade combination before, but when other factors are thrown in the results are sometimes less than optimal. So my conclusion is that there is a correlation between everything I'm using causing the results I'm experiencing. If I threw a Voskhod into the mix everything would go to hell, because Voskhods are demon blades. Still, VDH is a brilliant compliment to everything else I'm using this week. Would I even be considering this if it wasn't seen as a low cost beginner soap found on local pharmacy shelves? Time to put that aside, and show my love and appreciation for VDH! You don't get to be around for about a hundred years if your product sucks.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The problem is finding their Snake Bite soap in stock at online retailers.

Grownmanshave.com says they have three tubs of Snake Bite in stock.

Before finding that last night, I tried a sample of Mama Bear Soaps’ “Polar” unscented glycerine soap with menthol. And ordered a full-sized puck after two chillingly pleasant face washes.

People on the Internet say Chiseled Face ‘Cryogen’ is even colder than Snake Bite, but a very soft soap. And Stirling Glacial soaps are reputedly mentholicious, but the glacials are all fragranced.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
They might be a very different blade in a slant. Then again, they may not.
Maybe you could be the test pilot when your FOCS arrives lol. I have some Voskhods in my drawer, but I'm sceered. By the way, there are many ducks on B&B, but I assure you that I'm not among them. I wouldn't even quack in jest. I wouldn't know how, caws that's not how I roll. :lol1:
dgaf_crow01.gif

The problem is finding their Snake Bite soap in stock at online retailers.

Grownmanshave.com says they have three tubs of Snake Bite in stock.

Before finding that last night, I tried a sample of Mama Bear Soaps’ “Polar” unscented glycerine soap with menthol. And ordered a full-sized puck after two chillingly pleasant face washes.

People on the Internet say Chiseled Face ‘Cryogen’ is even colder than Snake Bite, but a very soft soap. And Stirling Glacial soaps are reputedly mentholicious, but the glacials are all fragranced.
I always get mine here: Fine Accoutrements | Nothing Beats a Fine Shave - https://fineaccoutrements.com/

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe you could be the test pilot when your FOCS arrives lol.

I'd use one. I think I have a couple left and used one not long ago. I may even have some GSB left! Perhaps, finally, I'll be able to understand why so many like them as much as they do. I do, however, have my doubts haha.

71a0433059ceb4ea1cce52c1781cda13.jpg

You don't get to be around for about a hundred years if your product sucks.

In-dust-tructable: Britain’s oldest hoover

Britain’s oldest working vacuum cleaner certainly is IN-DUST-RUCTIBLE – and is still being used 85 YEARS after it was first bought.

Owner Bill Whitwam inherited the 1929 Hoover Senior from his parents in the 1950s and the silver cleaner is still in working order – and has hoovered the equivalent of 125 Wembley pitches over almost a century in use.

In its eight and a half decades the Hoover has covered a whopping 224 acres – equal to 125 football pitches at Wembley Stadium.

1597352814610.png

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Serviceable, as long as part are still... available. Unlike my mothers Panasonic. Well, parts are available, sort of. The brush has a single bearing in it. A sealed bearing. It seized and smoked the belt. I took it to the dealer where they sell parts and asked if they could get me a new bearing? No sir. I have a new roller though, $120. The same vacuum in his display is $350 and my mothers is only 5 years old.

Home to the bench and I took that roller apart, soaked the bearing in penetrating oil, got it spinning, and put it back in with a new belt. That was last summer. I could likely pull the bearing if need be, its only pressed onto the shaft, and have it matched at Canadian Bearings if I need too. The last one I bought was $8.

tenor.gif

Top Bottom