What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
But how is compared to the crooked Italian?
Oh, that thing? I remember now. The crooked Italian is smoother and as efficient. It escaped my memory because it's so easy to use. I kind of miss it now. Thanks Mike, thanks a lot. :a30:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
anytime-5c5c7f.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Zebrano
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Omega S10077
Soap: De Vergulde Hand
Aftershave: Osage Rub
034_42.jpg

I'm really loving this line up. I may be on an Astra kick for awhile. My Fatip is a classy looking well built razor. The aesthetics of it alone should be enough to put the Fatip nay-sayers to rest. It won't. The shave was a three pass shave today. It was smooth and near flawless. I'd say it was flawless except nothing on the planet is perfect. I'm enjoying De Vergulde Hand. The vegetal slickness and post shave feel is as good as any vegetal soap there is. I also love the fresh lime citrus scent. It is very clean. I might use it fixed for awhile, or I might see if I can pull out a puck of Van Der Hagen to compare it with. The Netherlands vs. a Dutch American soap. I know some Dutch aren't too keen on the whole Dutch expat thing, but, hey, here we are regardless.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Brush: Omega S11745
037_1_42.jpg

I had a quick shave today. I didn't pay much attention to clean up. I stayed up real late and had four hours of sleep. The shave was still a bbs with a dfs on my neck. There was a little more feed back than I would have liked, but the shave is settling in quite nicely.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Brush: Omega S10081
040_42.jpg

Todays shave was more comfortable and relaxed. I've really enjoyed my Zebrano. I do miss my Lo Storto though. Next week, I'll be back with it. For now, I have one more shave with my Zebrano to enjoy. My Fatip Zebrano OC should be all the razor I ever need. I just can't stop thinking about my FOCS.

• Sad
Reactions: Cal

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Brush: Omega S10065
043_42.jpg

Today was my last shave with my Fatip Zebrano for awhile. Of all my Omega brushes the 10065 series are my favorite. It doesn't matter if it's my little piggie 10065 or my synthetic S10065. There is just something about them. The last shave with my Zebrano was very good. It was the best shave of the week, but so long. Up next my FOCS! :w00t:

Next week's shave will be, My Fatip Lo storto paired with a fresh Astra SS. My brushes will be my Maggard 22mm Synth, and my APShaveco synthetic brushes. For a soap I'm going in for the good stuff, lol, with Van Der Hagen Scented Luxury (It says so right in the name, Luxury). I remembered I have Van Der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm in my Dopp bag, so I decided to make it a true daily double everyday next week! We'll see how this Dutch American thing plays out? It's been awhile, and I've never used their soap and balm at the same time.
002_30.jpg

My beloved Fatip Lo Storto:
026_26.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Astra SS (1)
Brush: Maggard 22mm Synth
Soap: VDH Scented Luxury
Aftershave: VDH Post Shave Balm
033_42.jpg

I'm back with my FOCS! It was a joy to use. It paired really well with Astra SS. This may be the best combination of razor and blade I've paired with the Lo Storto to date. It was simply the smoothest combination yet. I really missed my Lo Storto, and I don't think I'll be leaving it for awhile. It really is a case of absence making the heart grow fonder.

VDH Scented Luxury was really nice. In between passes I noted how slick my skin was. It was almost like it had a water proof coating. VDH used to have lanolin which behaves in that way. I was a bit concerned it wouldn't be as protective, and water proof, without the lanolin. I guess they used the right amount of glycerin along with maybe some chemical agents? My first impression, in the Dutch Vs Expat Dutch soaps is that the Dutch are in the lead with De Vergulde Hand, simply because I seem to have enjoyed it more than this first shave with VDH. That said I really can't fault VDH Scented Luxury's performance. Scented Luxury also does have a nice, if understated, milky-coconut scent with a hint of mango for sweetness. There is really nothing to write home about either soap. They are dirt cheap, pleasant enough, and are totally serviceable.

VDH Post Shave Soothing Balm lives up to its name. It may be a hidden gem as far as low cost post shave balms go. We'll see if it punches well above the price point as the week goes on.

That said I really can't fault VDH Scented Luxury's performance. Scented Luxury also does have a nice, if understated, milky-coconut scent with a hint of mango for sweetness. There is really nothing to write home about either soap. They are dirt cheap, pleasant enough, and are totally serviceable.

What do you use to load from Rave, a container or just your hand?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SS (2)
Brush: APShaveco Silksmoke
035_42.jpg

This was my second shave with VDH this week. It's serviceable but De Vergulde Hand beats it. VDH Post Shave Soothing Balm is a good balm. It's a bit thicker than Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm. It does settle down nicely though. My thoughts on VDH Balm is that it makes a nice winter product. All this aside, my shaves have been exceptionally good this week, and I can't help but think it's, in part, due to these totally non-exceptional, no thrill, products.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Astra SS (3)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
038_42.jpg

I've settled into this line up quite nicely. The sad part is there are only two more shaves to go this week. My shave with VDH was enjoyable. It's easy to load, slick, and it doesn't leave any residue on my razor. The post shave feel is pretty good as well. It's safe to say it has pretty much equaled out with De Vergulde Hand. De Verguld Hand does have a much better scent though. I'm also feeling more at home with VDH Post Shave Balm. I'm a splash guy, so it took some time to get used to a lotion. It works very well as a balm should be intended to do. It does, however, have the scent of wet cardboard. That's only for a second. It goes right away. The main thing is, from my first shave up to today, my shaves have been fantastic using VDH.

Blade: Astra SS (3)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
View attachment 1138621
I've settled into this line up quite nicely. The sad part is there are only two more shaves to go this week. My shave with VDH was enjoyable. It's easy to load, slick, and it doesn't leave any residue on my razor. The post shave feel is pretty good as well. It's safe to say it has pretty much equaled out with De Vergulde Hand. De Verguld Hand does have a much better scent though. I'm also feeling more at home with VDH Post Shave Balm. I'm a splash guy, so it took some time to get used to a lotion. It works very well as a balm should be intended to do. It does, however, have the scent of wet cardboard. That's only for a second. It goes right away. The main thing is, from my first shave up to today, my shaves have been fantastic using VDH.

VDH shave soap is one of my rotation soaps. It is a very serviceable soap.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
VDH shave soap is one of my rotation soaps. It is a very serviceable soap.
Clay! I haven't heard from you for awhile. VDH is totally serviceable, and if you shop, you can get it for cheaper than Arko minus the "lovely" scent. Life is uncertain in these times. If it came down to it, it's a good soap. Not that I will ever be able to use what I have in this lifetime. :tongue_sm

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've settled into this line up quite nicely. The sad part is there are only two more shaves to go this week. My shave with VDH was enjoyable. It's easy to load, slick, and it doesn't leave any residue on my razor.

Thats the only soap @rabidus uses.

Good to see you around again Clay!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hmmm, rabidus uses it! That's a definite plus in my book. It adds credence to my growing appreciation. VDH makes good shaving products.

He liked it better than PdP but I think he said they changed the formula a bit. I also think he buys it, in bulk, on Amazon.

Top Bottom