Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Shave Mail (meme).jpg

20200809_114633[1].jpg
MORE BOXES!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They‘re new NEW SCs. Cyclical manufacturing is different from cyclical loading.

The one thing that sets Wolfman razors apart in my mind is that you can have a razor custom built to suit you and your own personal technique. What James Dufour offers is a gift, specifically tailored to its buyer. As far as I know, no one else on Earth offers the same.

If one knew exactly the blade curve, blade gap, blade exposure, virtually any geometric aspect that would lead them to their perfect razor and shave, they can have for a reasonable fee and a reasonable wait. Its very hard to put a price on something that would be so intimate.

Much the same can be said of Chris Kirchen and Karve razors as well as ATT, Timeless, Blackland, Charcoal Goods et al. What those makers offer is special in a world of typical.

My comparing them to a NEW SC is, mostly, in jest.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Secretly I was hoping you did order a Wolfman. Being a machinist by trade with many years of experience, you could offer insight many others may not be able too.

I would expect the quality of that Karve, as well as others I've mentioned above, to exceed their price point.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Secretly I was hoping you did order a Wolfman

I wasn’t subtle about it at all. But I didn’t realize two high-end/high-rigidity companies were in the same city. Dr. Doug’s photos of his new treasures look stunning.

@Rosseforp , very BOSC to order the OC-D plate like you did.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Secretly I was hoping you did order a Wolfman. Being a machinist by trade with many years of experience, you could offer insight many others may not be able too.

I would expect the quality of that Karve, as well as others I've mentioned above, to exceed their price point.
You don't simply order a Wolfman, I do believe @Cal is on the waiting list........ besides, I am still on the learning phase when it comes to wet shaving. I am just now beginning to understand the dynamics of such a succinctly simple device.

A razor is, after all, only a cutting tool. I will figure it out.

It seems most of the gents here were able to get respectable shaves from carts before they switched to DE's, SE's, and SR's.
I never got a decent shave from a cart until I tried a Gillette Guard this year....... Not that the Gillette Guard shave is anything to write home about. But certainly better than the Trac II that I struggled with for 10 years........and better than I got from 30+ years shaving with electric razors.

The ATT SE1 is a true work of art. The workmanship is second to none. The Karve goes a step further.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I wasn’t subtle about it at all. But I didn’t realize two high-end/high-rigidity companies were in the same city. Dr. Doug’s photos of his new treasures look stunning.

@Rosseforp , very BOSC to order the OC-D plate like you did.
Economics my friend. The plates are $30 each, and $10 to ship. So I ordered a C and D plate to save money.
BOSC2.OtherGuysAreNuts.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Very awesome looking Karves by the way.
Little did I know one year ago when I made that handle that it would be a perfect fit for my Karve. For some unknown reason I cannot find one picture of it being used on another razor. I wuz just sitting in a box with 2 other bronze handles, and a dozen or so SS and Ti handles that also have no homes.

When paired with my Karve the weight and balance is almost identical to my Piccolo SE, 73 grams.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
ARKO! AUGUST, Monday 10

MMOC Gem SS(8)
Omega 10005
ARKO Shave Stick
ARKO After Shave Balm
ARKO After Shave Cologne

Another nice ARKO shave in the books to start the week!

After giving the damp brush about 30 swirls on the pressed ARKO puck I built a nice lather in the bowl. The Omega 10005 continues it's break-in, it is now much softer than the 10290 with about half of the backbone, but it still has a ways to go. I will keep it in the rotation for now.

As I started my shave over and around my nose and lips, I had to buff a lot. As I trimmed my sideburns and shaved my face N-S I could feel the MMOC is decidedly more nimble than my SE1.
It also provides much more audible feedback, letting me know the Gem SS(8) is nowhere near as sharp as a 4 month old Proline with 12 shaves on it.

The N-S pass on my neck I could definitely feel the blade working, not wanting to increase the pressure, the OC teeth making their presence known already.

After lathering up for a 2nd pass I finished my shave nose to ear on my face and another N-S pass on my neck. I noticed that I could easily increase the pressure and lay the razor more on it's cap on my face, but my neck was a bit sensitive from the first pass, so I kept the angle steep and used very light pressure with a ton of buffing.

While the blade never gave me the feeling that it was tugging or harsh, the efficiency was nowhere close to a Proline. At 8 shaves, it might also be at the limit too.

The shave was smooth, but in terms of comfort and efficiency the ATT SE1 is light years ahead of my MMOC. The MMOC is more forgiving, almost tame in comparison.

I used HA, Witch hazel, Arko balm, then let the Arko aftershave cologne light up my face and neck.

20200810_215045[1].jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The ATT SE1 is a true work of art. The workmanship is second to none. The Karve goes a step further.

Thats saying something.

As I trimmed my sideburns and shaved my face N-S I could feel the MMOC is decidedly more nimble than my SE1.
It also provides much more audible feedback, letting me know the Gem SS(8) is nowhere near as sharp as a 4 month old Proline with 12 shaves on it.
While the blade never gave me the feeling that it was tugging or harsh, the efficiency was nowhere close to a Proline. At 8 shaves, it might also be at the limit too.
The shave was smooth, but in terms of comfort and efficiency the ATT SE1 is light years ahead of my MMOC. The MMOC is more forgiving, almost tame in comparison.

So is that!

At 8 shaves, a PTFE has almost had it for me too. Excessive pressure is required after that but they still work.

I suspected the blades would show their differences quickly. I wasnt sure the differences would be that profound, but I hoped the difference would be dramatic.

Do you have thoughts on trying the SE 2 base? It sure looks to be a different animal.

Jim's SE 1 left. SE 2 right.

SE1.jpg SE2.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
At 8 shaves, a PTFE has almost had it for me too. Excessive pressure is required after that but they still work.
I may have noticed the fall-off more from shave 7 to 8 on the PTFE simply because in between I was using a Proline. I found I could increase the pressure on my face, but my neck was a no-no.
I suspected the blades would show their differences quickly. I wasnt sure the differences would be that profound, but I hoped the difference would be dramatic.
I had used the Proline twice, in May of this year, before using it again last week. It is still sharper than a PTFE out of the box on it's 12 shave. I fully expect it to last 30+ shaves.
Do you have thoughts on trying the SE 2 base? It sure looks to be a different animal.

Jim's SE 1 left. SE 2 right.
According to the ATT aggression scale of 1-10, the SE1 is a 6, the SE2 is a 9. I read Jim's trick of the tale report on his SE2 last year, and I believe he found it a tough nut to crack. Super efficient, and super scary. For my scruffy beard, the SE1 is plenty of razor. I might, however, try the aluminum SE1 baseplate.

What I would really like to see is an SE1 style razor the uses a P-20 blade.........

Now I am trying to decide if I want to try the MMOC with a fresh PTFE, or give the Karve a go..........
Karve C.jpg

With a Feather.

Top Bottom