What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Still got the kami straight and shavette, Cal?

On heavy growth, the comb is riding on the thick stubble, even with open comb, unless your stubble is strategically placed tooth width apart :biggrin1: this invariably buggers up the blade height on the skin in my experience. Sound like it might do it worse for you than it does for me. While I find an open comb does cope with it a little better than closed comb, neither does as well as my Dovo shavette. There's no "front bumper" to deflect the razor from where it should be.

Or... you could take "the coach" for a spin. :tongue_sm

What's the most important feature of a DE razor when it comes to clearing multiple days worth of heavy stubble? Open comb or generous blade exposure/gap? I've been under the assumption that it's having an open comb but the more I think about what Al says the more I'm starting to lean the other way.

Wonder about going several days, Cal, and using a Polsilver?
Like you, Jim, Polsilver SIs (and Wizamet ISs) are my faves.

The Tigers and Tatras seem to be perfectly good blades so I can't see why they would change anything... I'll test Lo Storto on ≥4 days with a Polsiver SI (once I've finished playing with the two Ts) to make sure though.
Thanks for the idea. :001_cool:

Still got the kami straight and shavette, Cal?
Yep, but I'm currently considering just keeping my Feather DX and probably PIFing all the other "straights and stones" gear. :001_unsur
On heavy growth, the comb is riding on the thick stubble, even with open comb, unless your stubble is strategically placed tooth width apart :biggrin1: this invariably buggers up the blade height on the skin in my experience. Sound like it might do it worse for you than it does for me. While I find an open comb does cope with it a little better than closed comb, neither does as well as my Dovo shavette. There's no "front bumper" to deflect the razor from where it should be.
The thing I love about Fatip OCs are their slim teeth (which guide the whiskers into the slots rather than sitting on top of the buggers). The standard Fatip OCs demolish multi days growth easily. I'm thinking the problem with the slant is the asymmetry of the blade edge. :001_unsur
Or... you could take "the coach" for a spin. :tongue_sm
I'm sure "the coach" is feeling a bit neglected these days (social distancing is a very bad thing IMO), but his type of coaching is limited to "untwisted" blades. :wink2:

What's the most important feature of a DE razor when it comes to clearing multiple days worth of heavy stubble? Open comb or generous blade exposure/gap? I've been under the assumption that it's having an open comb but the more I think about what Al says the more I'm starting to lean the other way.
I'll loan you my iKon Tech if you'd like to try it out, Wes.
Angles-iKonTech.jpg

Let me know via PM.

Bear in mind that OCs are available which have plenty blade exposure and plenty gap (moving away from the perfect Fatip design :wink2:).

Bear in mind that OCs are available which have plenty blade exposure and plenty gap (moving away from the perfect Fatip design :wink2:).

Yeah, I thought about the Karve OC F plate and of course, the R41 (even though it isn't quite an OC) after I posted. I guess there must be others.

The thing I love about Fatip OCs are their slim teeth (which guide the whiskers into the slots rather than sitting on top of the buggers). The standard Fatip OCs demolish multi days growth easily.

Not the first time I've read this sort of thing about Fatip OCs and why I'm spending less and less time thinking about any 'others'.

Yesterday's Tiger Shave

Brush:
Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Tiger Platinum (3)
ASL: Proraso Red

Well, this one didn't work out well. The Tiger started pulling again on just one day's growth... and during the complete shave. I'm confused by this so I intend keeping the blade and coming back to it "sometime." So that's my Tatra/Tiger experiment shelved for now.

I still managed BBS and an unmangled face and neck, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. :sad:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Shave #1: 9.5
Shave #2: 9
Shave #3: 9.5
Shave #4: 9
Shave #5: 9
average: 9.2

Tiger Blade 1

Shave #3: 6.5
to be continued, sometime...

SOTD

SOTD-R_2020-06-10.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 18/44 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1)

Ah, wonderful! :biggrin:
Wonder about going several days, Cal, and using a Polsilver?
As soon as I saw Jim's post (above ^) I decided to go back to my favorite blade forthwith, and do a multi-day shave with that one (when that time arises).

It's so nice when the four (brush, soap, razor, and blade) are all old friends. :cornut:

Yesterday's Tiger Shave

Brush:
Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Tiger Platinum (3)

Well, this one didn't work out well. The Tiger started pulling again on just one day's growth... and during the complete shave. I'm confused by this so I intend keeping the blade and coming back to it "sometime." So that's my Tatra/Tiger experiment shelved for now.

I still managed BBS and an unmangled face and neck, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. :sad:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Shave #3: 9.5
Shave #4: 9
Shave #5: 9
average: 9.2

Tiger Blade 1

Shave #3: 6.5

SOTD

View attachment 1111590 :001_wub:

Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1)

Ah, wonderful! :biggrin:

As soon as I saw Jim's post (above ^) I decided to go back to my favorite blade forthwith, and do a multi-day shave with that one (when that time arises).

It's so nice when the four (brush, soap, razor, and blade) are all old friends. :cornut:
to be continued, sometime... Hey Cal can I see the whole list.

Last edited:
SOTD

SOTD-Y_2020-06-13.jpg
:001_wub:

Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)

Another excellent shave. :biggrin:

It's great when every piece of hardware and software in your kit is STELLAR. :cornut:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I love this kit. :cornut:

At some point before too long I'll be getting my very own Ruby Vey brush with the Shavemac D01 two band; partially because of your laudatory comments about your D01 knots.

I use to not like your Shavemac handles with that shape but they've grown on me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom