What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

After reading through the Participation PIF – Czech Out These Blades thread, I decided to put my minimalistic tendencies to rest for a little while. With reckless abandon I purchased 10 Tatra and 10 Tiger blades... and started my testing/experimentation with my first Tatra Platinum blade today.

SOTD

SOTD-OS-FS-Ta-VR-PR-W_2020-05-29.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Tatra Platinum (1)
ASL: Proraso Red

As this is an experiment I was focusing pretty intently on the blade. It certainly "feels" a lot different to my usual Polsilver SIs/Wizamet ISs, but different in a way I can't explain... not good or bad different, just different. I guess I'll get to know it better after a few more shaves.

The shave itself was just fine, ending up with my usual BBS. :cornut:

Surprisingly, when I slapped on the good ol' Proraso Red ASL there was only the teeniest tingle... a bit less than I'm used to. Maybe that was due to my awareness of a new and different blade, I guess I'll find out over the next few shaves.

For the sake of the experiment all parameters of, and equipment for, each shave will remain the same. I'm going to use @BigJ's 10 Point rating system for the shave quality:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Shave #1: 9.5

SOTD

SOTD-OS-FS-Ta-VR-PR-R_2020-05-30.jpg

Blade: Tatra Platinum (2)

I think I'm thinking about this blade too much! I believe over-concentrating diminishes awareness. I'll attempt to go back to my "normal" self for the next shave.

Anyway, following on from that somewhat confusing introduction, the shave itself was fine. I still haven't put my finger on what's different about the blade. But it was a good shave with BBS result. :cornut:

The ASL tingle was back to my normal, a little (but not teeny like yesterday).

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Shave #2: 9

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes! Lack of fluidity in motion, and attempting to second guess the shave, instead of just listening to what it's actually telling you. Sometimes it's as though you can learn more by ignoring it.

I learned when I began paying attention to the audible and tactile feedback. I learned by ignoring how I thought I was supposed to do it and by instead attending to what the razor was telling me.

In other words, I agree with Al.

Captain of the Obvious (meme).jpg

I'd like to say I figured it out, or at least that I figured out how to better approach the learning process, and decided to steer by audible and tactile feedback, but that's not true. What happened was I stumbled upon it and happened to notice that I had.

That was kinda amazing to me.

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

Also amazing was how it converted me from a mostly shallow angle shaver getting not so good shaves to a mostly steep angle shaver getting much better shaves.

I'm also quite certain Cal knows everything I know about safety razor shaving and probably a lot more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal
I'm also quite certain Cal knows everything I know about safety razor shaving and probably a lot more.
:laugh: I doubt it. But like you, Jim, I'm keeping my white belt on which IMO is the only way forward.

I'm reminded of my previous fabulous Advanced Driving hobby, learning and tutoring experiences. The only way to get to the highest level is to remain a pupil. And once I started tutoring that's when the real learning started.

As an example it's quite common to get landed with a pupil who in one's estimation should never have passed a driving test. Then after a thorough assessment one finds one or more things that pupil can do brilliantly... and that you've had trouble with. So, as with all real teaching and learning stuff it becomes a two way thing.

Unfortunately we're being diverted from that teaching/learning system at rapid speed; even more rapid than before. I once thought the dumbing down process couldn't go any further, how wrong I was.

Whoops! Please excuse my rambling. TMI again. :letterk1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:laugh: I doubt it. But like you, Jim, I'm keeping my white belt on which IMO is the only way forward.

I'm reminded of my previous fabulous Advanced Driving hobby, learning and tutoring experiences. The only way to get to the highest level is to remain a pupil. And once I started tutoring that's when the real learning started.

As an example it's quite common to get landed with a pupil who in one's estimation should never have passed a driving test. Then after a thorough assessment one finds one or more things that pupil can do brilliantly... and that you've had trouble with. So, as with all real teaching and learning stuff it becomes a two way thing.

Unfortunately we're being diverted from that teaching/learning system at rapid speed; even more rapid than before. I once thought the dumbing down process couldn't go any further, how wrong I was.

Whoops! Please excuse my rambling. TMI again. :letterk1:

Cool post, Cal.

Reactions: Cal
SOTD

SOTD-OS-FS-Ta-VR-PR-Y_2020-05-31.jpg

Blade: Tatra Platinum (3)

Now that I've stopped overthinking everything... the blade felt fine, just the way most good blades do IME.

This BBS shave was a very pleasant zen-like experience. :cornut:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Shave #3: 9.5

SOTD

SOTD-OS-G_2020-06-01.jpg

Blade: Tatra Platinum (4)

Maybe not as zen-like as yesterday's shave, but definitely a good un'. :cornut:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Shave #4: 9

SOTD

SOTD-OS-B_2020-06-03.jpg

Blade: Tatra Platinum (5)

Unfortunately my mind wasn't on the shave tonight, but I still got BBS. It's just as well the autopilot's in good order. :laugh:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Shave #5: 9

SOTD

SOTD-OS-B_2020-06-03.jpg

Blade: Tatra Platinum (5)

Unfortunately my mind wasn't on the shave tonight, but I still got BBS. It's just as well the autopilot's in good order. :laugh:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

Are all the nine’s autopilot Cal? Does the olive wood have a finish or is the wood oiled? In the photo it looks as though there is a light finish on the wood. Lo Storto seems to be making it’s way to the top of the hill. Not Gold yet gives me more time to learn my Grande’s secrets.

SOTD

SOTD-OS-Tig-K_2020-06-04.jpg

Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)

I decided not to get too many shaves on the Tatra before testing the Tiger. So, five shaves down on the Tatra and now we're onto the Tiger.

One thing I love about these blades is the wax dots. Not only do they do their job of holding the blades in place in the packaging... but you can easily either wipe the soft wax off or let your shaving water do it. Unlike some (more like superglue than wax) which weld the blade to the cap or baseplate (and other nasty tricks).

Tiger shave #1 was very nice and I now fully believe my suppliers note that (barring etching and packaging) they are the same blade. Another very pleasant BBS shave was had. :cornut:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

. Average: 9.2

Tiger Blade 1

SOTD

SOTD-OS-W_2020-06-08.jpg

Blade: Tiger Platinum (2)

I normally aim to shave daily, or every other day. This one was a four day job. Previously, the longest I've ever gone between shaves on my Fatip Slant has been three days. (I have prolific beard growth and coarse whiskers.)

The Tiger started pulling and jumping at the outset. I couldn't believe it as all my other Fatips plow through four and more days growth with ease... but of course the slant is different. In my limited experience, (for me) slants are best kept at a constant angle (steep) to the face with little or no variation... whereas "normal" DEs benefit from varying angles (depending on the location). It looks like I either need to do some more serious "dialing in" of my slant, or simply keep shaves down to three days or less. So, although the first pass was somewhat horrendous I'm just going to put that down to operator malfunction. :001_rolle

After the unpleasant first pass the rest of the shave went just fine and the blade performed perfectly, so my score will be based on that. The final outcome was (and is) a very pleasant BBS shave with only the usual slight tingle from the Proraso Red ASL. :cornut:

RESULTS:

TATRA Blade 1

average: 9.2

Tiger Blade 1

Top Bottom