What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

The Tech has a steeper neutral angle. Because of that, assuming pressure applied as a constant between both razors, there would be more skin passing through that gap and at a steeper angle. All the more reason, I would think, it should be more effective than it is. It also explains why that, by the time I have whittled my way to a BBS shave, its not as comfortable a shave as my SC but the SC is also more efficient which translates into less time and hence, less irritation.

I agree. When it comes to blade exposure a .004" difference is massive. Add that .004" to an unsupported blade and they can be dangerous. Enter the R41 and, to a slightly lesser degree, my 1940's Regent.

I find the generational differences of Gillette TTO's quite interesting. The 1930's and early 1940's TTO razors are not the easiest tools to shave with. The late 1940's and early 1950's models have a different geometry and somewhat different design which I believe to be the optimum combination of smoothness and efficiency. Also evidenced by them being the favorites of @rabidus for quite a while.

I dont have a picture of one from that generation, but it might be pretty easy to tell where they fall between my 1940's Regent and my 1958 SS.

Regent.
View attachment 1120563

SS.
View attachment 1120562

Two very different razors.

My Regent has all the blade exposure I would ever need. In feeling, its more than my R41 and considerably more than my Grade but the blade is lacking support as is. When I added the tape strips to the blade tray it instantly became very quiet and very smooth, turning it into, I think, a late 1940's, early 1950's model. Because of such generous blade exposure it is extremely close shaving but because it lacks blade support, as is for me, its a very fine line and I really need to concentrate or I'll be bleeding.

My 1958 SS on the other hand is very much like using a Tech and if I couldnt feel the difference between them in my hand I may be able to tell them apart. The SS may be slightly more efficient.

My 1970's Lady Gillette is even milder than any of the three post war Tech's I've used.

If one was to add tape strips to the blade tray of a mid to late 1930's OC Gillette Sheraton or similar, it could become one of the smoothest and most efficient DE razors.

I really like my Regent and plan on using it often once my Perma-Sharps arrive. I'm curious how I'll get along with it ~2 years later.
Didn't we establish that your Regent was an outlier? I have a Senator and Ranger Tech which look nothing like that in terms of exposure, and my 53 Superspeed is so mild it's near useless on my head.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Didn't we establish that your Regent was an outlier? I have a Senator and Ranger Tech which look nothing like that in terms of exposure, and my 53 Superspeed is so mild it's near useless on my head.

We may have, I dont remember.

My nephews 1937 Sheraton has the same design and amount of blade exposure as my Regent. If it was a SB razor you'd think they had the same head. I would have assumed that of a Senator and Ranger Tech too.

We may have, I dont remember.

My nephews 1937 Sheraton has the same design and amount of blade exposure as my Regent. If it was a SB razor you'd think they had the same head. I would have assumed that of a Senator and Ranger Tech too.
I don't have your macro photo skills but I'll try and picture the exposure.

SOTD

SOTD-W_2020-07-02.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Gillette Tech with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (4)
ASL: Proraso Red

New Gillette Tech training continues.:001_smile Shave #6.

SOTD

SOTD-Y_2020-07-08.jpg

Brush: Omega S10065 24/55 S-Brush
Razor: Gillette Tech with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (5)

New Gillette Tech training continues.:001_smile Shave #7.

As I've been getting good results I thought I'd try out a multi-day growth. That's where I fell down initially on my GC84 training. I intended a four day gap, but it turned out to be quite a respectable short beard of five and a half days growth. The result is a very nice BBS shave. The only thing different from the previous shave was that it was more enjoyable... and I had to rinse the razor a lot more due to the additional volume of whiskers.

I'm still itching to get back to my Lo Storto, but I think I'll give the Tech another three shaves just to be sure that I've cracked it.

The reason I used my S-Brush today was someone mentioning using theirs after a long time and enjoying it... so I thought I'd do the same. Yep, I still like my S-Brush (but not anywhere near as much as I like/love my Shavemacs).

Happy shaves gents. :biggrin:

SOTD

SOTD-G_2020-07-09.jpg

Razor: Stainless Steel Gillette Tech with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (6)

New Gillette Tech training continues.:001_smile Shave #8.

A very nice shave (still learning). :cornut:

SOTD

Olive-Set-G-700_2020-07-09.jpg

Razor: SS Gillette Tech with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (7)

New Gillette Tech training continues.:001_smile Shave #9. Very nice. :cornut:

SOTD

SOTD-R_2020-07-11.jpg

Razor: SS Gillette Tech with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (8)

New Gillette Tech Training, Phase 1 (10 shaves), complete. :biggrin:

That was another very nice BBS shave. In fact, when I thought "Lo Storto Originale next" I was a little disappointed. I've grown to love this dirt cheap, stainless steel, P&G Chinese made Gillette Tech.

Even though I'm now getting BBS shaves easily with the Tech, I know there's still plenty more to learn. So I'm already looking forward to Phase 2 (whenever that might happen).

Back to Lo Storto Originale today. Yay! :punk:

SOTD

SOTD-Y_2020-07-12.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 20/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (9)

My experiments were completed yesterday, back to my FAVORITE RAZOR today! :biggrin:

Hey Rave,
@Raven Koenes Any progress on the Lo Storto shaving brush handle (with 22mm hole for 20mm knot) yet? You got us the Fatip slant with your ambassadorial skills, so I'm thinking a simple shaving brush handle should be a piece of cake. Please accept my apologies for being a wee bit impatient... but as you probably realize, I NEED IT NOW!
:letterk1:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Back to Lo Storto Originale today. Yay! :punk:

SOTD

View attachment 1124863 :001_wub:

Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (9)

My experiments were completed yesterday, back to my FAVORITE RAZOR today! :biggrin:

Hey Rave,
@Raven Koenes Any progress on the Lo Storto shaving brush handle (with 22mm hole for 20mm knot) yet? You got us the Fatip slant with your ambassadorial skills, so I'm thinking a simple shaving brush handle should be a piece of cake. Please accept my apologies for being a wee bit impatient... but as you probably realize, I NEED IT NOW!
:letterk1:
Okay, I hear you loud and clear :wink2: :letterk1:

I sent this a few moments ago to Fatip:

I hope this message finds you all well. My friends and brothers at BOSC, Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies at Badger and Blade, all find the new Fatip Lo Storto to be not only a work of art but shaving perfection. We all have decided a brush with a Fatip Lo Storto twist handle would be the perfect compliment for the Lo Storto razor. Everyone in the know would more than love that. Also, I have a friend, Mike, who is holding out on buying a Fatip Lo Storto until it becomes available in gold plating. He's crazy, but it’s not a bad idea no?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I sent this a few moments ago to Fatip:

I hope this message finds you all well. My friends and brothers at BOSC, Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies at Badger and Blade, all find the new Fatip Lo Storto to be not only a work of art but shaving perfection. We all have decided a brush with a Fatip Lo Storto twist handle would be the perfect compliment for the Lo Storto razor. Everyone in the know would more than love that. Also, I have a friend, Mike, who is holding out on buying a Fatip Lo Storto until it becomes available in gold plating. He's crazy, but it’s not a bad idea no?

1qlmai.jpg

SOTD

SOTD-G_2020-07-13.jpg

Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (10)

Another great shave with the incredible Lo Storto Originale. :cornut:

SOTD

SOTD-B_2020-07-15.jpg

Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (11)

:cornut:

SOTD

SOTD-K_2020-06-30.jpg

Razor: 2020 SS Gillette Tech
Blade: Super Gillette Blue Blade (1)

An excellent shave. :cornut:

I fully intended having a Fatip Lo Storto Originale shave today, but for some reason (unbeknownst to me) I loaded a new blade into my new Tech and shaved. I enjoyed it so much that I think I'll continue with the above Fixed Four (considering that I only gave the Tech 10 shaves previously).

Maybe I've reached a new shaving level... where the equipment decides what I'll shave with (rather than the other way round). :crazy: :lol1:

I fully intended having a Fatip Lo Storto Originale shave today, but for some reason (unbeknownst to me) I loaded a new blade into my new Tech and shaved. I enjoyed it so much that I think I'll continue with the above Fixed Four (considering that I only gave the Tech 10 shaves previously).
Fixed Four SOTD #2

FF_2020-07-21.jpg

Razor: 2020 SS Gillette Tech with custom olive wood handle
Blade: Super Gillette Blue Blade (2)

Another excellent shave. :cornut:

But I know there'll be more to learn. :w00t:

Fixed Four SOTD #3

FF_2020-07-21.jpg

Blade: Super Gillette Blue Blade (3)

A very nice shave. :biggrin:

... but the good ol' Proraso Red tingled a tad more than usual. I'll have to stop being so damned cocky. :blush:

Fixed Four SOTD #4

FF_2020-07-21.jpg

Blade: Super Gillette Blue Blade (4)

Another very nice shave. :biggrin:

Thankfully we're back to the Proraso Red ASL "mini tingle."

Top Bottom