What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Doehler-Jarvis was the manufacturer of that razor and the cast handles that was on the Kant Rust and other brand razors. And that was me who found it too mild on the max setting. One thing to consider though is how tight you are cranking down the handle intially and whether you adjust it even tighter or back it off to the nearest x or o where you start the adjusting from. You could be at a totally different gap setting than what I was using.
Sure quite possibly though I did adjust pretty tight before backing off, kinda hard to imagine you might have done so much tighter to make a significant difference.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Sure quite possibly though I did adjust pretty tight before backing off, kinda hard to imagine you might have done so much tighter to make a significant difference.

Head shaving is also a different creature from face shaving so what may work well on the noggin may not be as good for the face.

Head shaving is also a different creature from face shaving so what may work well on the noggin may not be as good for the face.
Aye but in my case the head is a much more difficult challenge to get to smooth, a too mild razor (say a 53 Superspeed) would not cut it, and this was not that. We'll just have to leave it at our having different experiences.

I'd like to know if the D-J and Berkeley versions have the same plating as the one on my Cooper is awful, and very different from my non adjustable Kant-Rust.

proxy.php

Last edited:
That is a cool find. I didn't know Berkley also hand a rebrand of this razor. I had researched out the Coopers extensively at one point and the conclusion I came to since this style razor without the adjustment popped up under various brands during WWII was that they all were getting their razors made by the same manufacturer which happens to be Doehler-Jarvis. Doehler-Jarvis was a major metal smelter so they would be the obvious answer if the razors were all made of cast metal. We also know Doehler-Jarvis put out their own version of this razor. If you search for Doehler-Jarvis someone on this board years ago posted some pictures of said razor.

Thanks Andy - great historical background. Going to be a fun razor to try!

Thanks Andy - great historical background. Going to be a fun razor to try!

I find it gives an excellent shave, but prefer it with a more substantial handle.

I've seen the same razor sold as a Berkeley, Cooper, Club, Doehler-Jarvis and Hospital.
The Berkeley Custom Shaver has the same spring/shim arrangement.

Picked up today a Canadian Gillette Single Ring 460B set from 1917 (I assume 1917). Cleaned it up and it's looking pretty good other that some plate loss on the head and the handle end and also a bent end tooth. Haven't tried it out yet, I'll wait for a few days growth over the weekend and give it a go. I hear they are aggressive shavers that give a great BBS shave.

IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3015.JPG
IMG_3023.JPEG
IMG_3034.JPG
IMG_3036.JPG

"Single Ring" was never used by Gillette in their catalogues and ads.
Perhaps the users came up with that name... Same like this forum - people get to discuss non-sense topics like: aggressiveness, BBS etc. Nobody has a clue what they are talking about from scientific prospective...

"Single Ring" was never used by Gillette in their catalogues and ads.
Perhaps the users came up with that name... Same like this forum - people get to discuss non-sense topics like: aggressiveness, BBS etc. Nobody has a clue what they are talking about from scientific prospective...
Does it really matter?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Appreciate the clarification on that. Do you know what the differences are between a Standard and Single Ring?
As I understand it you have what is known as a 'single ring' razor. What makes it a specific model, in this case a Standard, is the case and other accessories which accompany it. There are some differences over the years of single rings with serial number locations and patent engravings etc but they are essentially the same. Often with Gillette razors they are identical but a different case results in them being known by and marketed under a different name. You can see them here mr-razor Old Type - https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old%20Type/Old%20Type.htm I could totally wrong on this as I am no expert. 👍

As I understand it you have what is known as a 'single ring' razor. What makes it a specific model, in this case a Standard, is the case and other accessories which accompany it. There are some differences over the years of single rings with serial number locations and patent engravings etc but they are essentially the same. Often with Gillette razors they are identical but a different case results in them being known by and marketed under a different name. You can see them here mr-razor Old Type - https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old%20Type/Old%20Type.htm I could totally wrong on this as I am no expert. 👍
Thanks for the explanation on that. Great to learn these little tidbits On the different models.
Some forum members get hung up on scientific terms and dislike newbies using certain terminology. Appreciate the info.

I saw this set in an antique store display case right before I found my two Fatboys, and having several Super Speeds already and only searching for Fatboys, I kept walking. Revisiting the same store, last weekend, I noticed it had moved to the 50% off area and for $10 I figured the razor would clean up and with the case included it made it an easy choice. It cleaned up amazingly well, almost to factory condition with only one small 2mm spot under the base plate where the plating is getting thin (they left the blade in and there was some smutch left behind)--the case has some crazing, but is otherwise in good working order, I just need to find a blade dispenser for it and my 61 Fatboy I picked up earlier.
A1 FTSS W-Case 2.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Fatip Nobile came yesterday. Used it this morning. Very pleased with the performance.

Top Bottom