What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Bottom Dial just made it my way!

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a very handsome razor! I've never seen a bottom dial before.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I saw this set in an antique store display case right before I found my two Fatboys, and having several Super Speeds already and only searching for Fatboys, I kept walking. Revisiting the same store, last weekend, I noticed it had moved to the 50% off area and for $10 I figured the razor would clean up and with the case included it made it an easy choice. It cleaned up amazingly well, almost to factory condition with only one small 2mm spot under the base plate where the plating is getting thin (they left the blade in and there was some smutch left behind)--the case has some crazing, but is otherwise in good working order, I just need to find a blade dispenser for it and my 61 Fatboy I picked up earlier.
View attachment 1105500
Nice grab

KeenDogg

I saw this set in an antique store display case right before I found my two Fatboys, and having several Super Speeds already and only searching for Fatboys, I kept walking. Revisiting the same store, last weekend, I noticed it had moved to the 50% off area and for $10 I figured the razor would clean up and with the case included it made it an easy choice. It cleaned up amazingly well, almost to factory condition with only one small 2mm spot under the base plate where the plating is getting thin (they left the blade in and there was some smutch left behind)--the case has some crazing, but is otherwise in good working order, I just need to find a blade dispenser for it and my 61 Fatboy I picked up earlier.
View attachment 1105500
Nice grab
a couple of weeks ago I found out a new improved Big Fellow (1925). And immediatly after its older brother, a 1920 old type Big Fellow 1920).
Here the two brothers together:
View attachment 1105644

View attachment 1105645

Ciao,
andy
Andy,

do you know of any significance to the difference in case color? I guess what I'm asking is are those color woods specific to each type?

Thanks,
Adam

Nice grab

Andy,

do you know of any significance to the difference in case color? I guess what I'm asking is are those color woods specific to each type?

Thanks,
Adam

Adam,
I asked myself the same question but as far as I know both the cases were made using gumtree wood and actually, not considering the color, the wood seems to be the same in both cases. The cases are made with natural wood without any "coating" and the wood in the bottom off the inner part of the cases doesn't show any effect due to oxydation and so I think that the difference in case color is simply due to the fact that wood it's a natural material and so you can find differences from piece to piece.
I compared the color of the cases of many picture of big fellows on the web and my feeling is this is the most probable explenation.
cioa,
andy

KeenDogg

Adam,
I asked myself the same question but as far as I know both the cases were made using gumtree wood and actually, not considering the color, the wood seems to be the same in both cases. The cases are made with natural wood without any "coating" and the wood in the bottom off the inner part of the cases doesn't show any effect due to oxydation and so I think that the difference in case color is simply due to the fact that wood it's a natural material and so you can find differences from piece to piece.
I compared the color of the cases of many picture of big fellows on the web and my feeling is this is the most probable explenation.
cioa,
andy
Thank you so much. Seems to be the most logical explanation.

Top Bottom