What's new

Are you a common man shaver or a niche shaver?

In the fragrance community they have a split into two tribes, those who enjoy the common man designer fragrances, and the others that are into niche limited series stuff.

In this hobby we have people who enjoy shaving with an Astra SP loaded in their Tech, stick of Arko, slapping Proraso Green and calling it an excellent shaving experience. There are those who must have the special butter and milks in their soaps, special machined razors, special bowls, special brushes, special blade out of production, special hones, everything in limited series numbered and followed up by flirty PMs from the maker, personalized thank you card included etc. etc.

To the minimalists my 6 best badger Simpsons are decadent excess and waste of money. To the $400+ brush Finest 2-band collector I might as well have stuck to cheap boars since my badgers are not special and exclusive enough. So I am floating somewhere in the middle.

In the end we are all well shaven, looking and smelling good gents. But still I found it interesting how different approaches trend into two major groups, both headed to the same goal with our backs against each other.

I came to this conclusion after reading this interesting article by a fellow B&B member on his fragrance blog, reviewing Gillette's Cool Wave AS. I grew up smelling Brut and Gillette CW in my bathroom, both stocked by my father. I still use it 20+ years later and love it.

The biggest difference is in the attitude toward scent, and what it means to smell "good." Basenotes is a place where people are constantly in competition with each other. It's not about fragrance as much as it's about which camp of fragrance appreciation you fall into: the hoi polloi of designer scents, or the aristocracy of niche. Generally the tastes "trend up," as the Fragrance Bros on Youtube like to put it, which means expensive perfumes are more desirable than cheapies. This is not a unanimous attitude, as many members are also openly appreciative of relatively inexpensive products by houses like Mont Blanc, Caron, Krizia, and Davidoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting question!

I have a foot in both camps. I enjoy Pinaud clubman, Proraso green, Cella, Chinese blades and my Lord L6.
I also enjoy my 2-band badgers, Wolfman WR1 and MdC!! :a29:

I really like this question and the way it's posited. i sit here trying to compose some sort of thoughtful, worthwhile response yet my synapses seem to fail me. i think what appeals to me most is the timeless aristocrat/pleb issue--not quite the 'haves' and 'have-nots'.

History is rife with examples, not the least of which is our own (American). The Founding Fathers all were aristocratic despite how well spun our school history and social studies textbooks were. They believed the common man, the poor laborer wasn't properly educated enough or experienced enough--certainly not wealthy enough--to properly understand, much less exercise, their voting power. The monarchical context of the word 'subject' illustrates the disdain the upper crust had for the broader masses.

I'm not entirely sure there is any such implication of snobbery where our hobby is concerned--not that I believe the OP intended nor implicitly stated such. But it is certainly within human nature to at least feel a bit more special if you get to use a high end/more expensive product, a little grander or slightly superior to shop at Whole Foods than Kroger/Walmart (though I am very reticent to shop at WF--I have a certain fondness for my money).

Me? I would absolutely place myself within the 'common' camp. I most always use but one razor, a Merkur 38C. I have more soaps than I truly need but nowhere near what others possess given what I have read within these forums; as an aside I must thank you gentlemen for posting your soap stash totals as they help ease my SAD soul :001_smile

I have tried PolSilvers and Personna Reds, and am squarely (like many) in the Astra SP camp, but I like my Sharks, Crowns, Voskhods, and Derby Platinums. I've never used MdC nor bought a tub of DG--likewise, I haven't used Proraso yet, but that will change later this month when I visit my son In Naples. I like WSP's products, TOBS, Elvado, Col Conk, and Lakewood soaps . . . even Cremo. I have yet to experience Arko; I suppose someday I will have to buckle and give it a go.

Yes, I think I am decidedly common, long-winded indeed, but I hope not to the point of boring.

Great post, naughtilus!

@DEPenguin

I don't think there is intentional snobbery going in this community because such behaviour is quickly kept in check by the rest. But I do believe there are people who adorn themselves with idiosyncrasies by customizing their shaving experience beyond what was commonly deemed as 'normal' when this thing sprung on the internet.

From saving money, avoiding ingrown hairs, shaving like our fathers and replicating the barbershop experience in our own bathrooms, we moved to something that's about chasing performance, pride of ownership, better skin complexion, better fragrances, better industrial designs, better packaging etc.

Is the guy with Noble Otter soap, Muhle STF v2 knot in custom Rudy Vey handle, Feather Pro AC and Blackland Vector better shaven than the guy with Arko cream, Omega boar, Derby Extra and Merkur 37C?

Last edited:
Common man here.
I don't own a single high end product. I am happy with my mid-tier soaps, and the very common flare tip razor. This doesn't mean I won't treat myself to a high end razor or soap one day, there are a few that have caught my eye. For now, I am happy with what I own and enjoy browsing.

I think I fall into the common man camp here. My razor of choice right now is a Gillette New Deluxe head on a Ikon Bulldog handle. Nothing exclusive or pricey there. And I typically use either a Gillette Silver Blue or Polsilver SI. My aftershaves tend to be Pinaud Clubman brand scents, some Fine aftershaves, Florida Water and the like. Very cheap stuff. Soaps too. I have a ton of TOBS creams, some Stirling, some Van Yulay, Moon Soaps, etc. I don't have any expensive Italian soaps. My brushes are even lower end. Mostly some Omega boars, RazoRock synthetics and a couple of Envy Shave Silvertips. I'm as common as they come I suppose and I'm totally cool with that. The only person I'm trying to please in this is me.

Is the guy with Noble Otter soap, Muhle STF v2 knot in custom Rudy Vey handle, Feather Pro AC and Blackland Vector better shaven than the guy with Arko cream, Omega boar, Derby Extra and Merkur 37C?

Not to me he isn't. The key, as you stated initially, is that we all are "headed to the same goal." That we have our backs to one another is a testament to our freedom to have choices and exercise them as we see fit. The guy who is a minimalist, or the one who gives 'frugal' new meaning strives for the same results as the one with $200 of hardware and software in front of him to complete his shave. When it's all done they've both removed stubble and (hopefully) look all the more gentlemanly for it.

I really like this question and the way it's posited. i sit here trying to compose some sort of thoughtful, worthwhile response yet my synapses seem to fail me. i think what appeals to me most is the timeless aristocrat/pleb issue--not quite the 'haves' and 'have-nots'.

History is rife with examples, not the least of which is our own (American). The Founding Fathers all were aristocratic despite how well spun our school history and social studies textbooks were. They believed the common man, the poor laborer wasn't properly educated enough or experienced enough--certainly not wealthy enough--to properly understand, much less exercise, their voting power. The monarchical context of the word 'subject' illustrates the disdain the upper crust had for the broader masses.

I'm not entirely sure there is any such implication of snobbery where our hobby is concerned--not that I believe the OP intended nor implicitly stated such. But it is certainly within human nature to at least feel a bit more special if you get to use a high end/more expensive product, a little grander or slightly superior to shop at Whole Foods than Kroger/Walmart (though I am very reticent to shop at WF--I have a certain fondness for my money).

Me? I would absolutely place myself within the 'common' camp. I most always use but one razor, a Merkur 38C. I have more soaps than I truly need but nowhere near what others possess given what I have read within these forums; as an aside I must thank you gentlemen for posting your soap stash totals as they help ease my SAD soul :001_smile

I have tried PolSilvers and Personna Reds, and am squarely (like many) in the Astra SP camp, but I like my Sharks, Crowns, Voskhods, and Derby Platinums. I've never used MdC nor bought a tub of DG--likewise, I haven't used Proraso yet, but that will change later this month when I visit my son In Naples. I like WSP's products, TOBS, Elvado, Col Conk, and Lakewood soaps . . . even Cremo. I have yet to experience Arko; I suppose someday I will have to buckle and give it a go.

Yes, I think I am decidedly common, long-winded indeed, but I hope not to the point of boring.

Great post, naughtilus!
Whilst you’re in Napoli you might like to pop into Boellis for a classic barber shave. I love their fragrances albeit a bit pricey!

I'm all for the experience, but the cheapass in me growls at the thought of paying someone else to do something that I can do myself. On one hand I'd have had an experience of a lifetime (I've never had a barber shave) but on the other I'd be upset at myself for having blown perfectly good money when my stubble came back the next day. As simpel as I am, I can be a complex beast :07:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
When I smell the scent of Proraso Green Splash it brings such joy that I can hardly imagine it is anything but common man.

I agree with you. You’re paying for the experience not the actual shave. Check out their website though. It’s an old world barber shop in classic Italian style. If you’ve never had a barber shave it’s not just the shave but the hot towel facial etc. I believe Italian barbers use real straights not shavettes.

Anyone who has noticed my posts probably figured out quickly that a $12 vintage adjustable, $3 soaps, an old brush, and drugstore (or homemade) aftershaves is my daily routine. I will never begrudge anyone their artisan products, and I will happily admire them from afar with zero interest in bringing them into my house.

Interesting point ... I'm also fascinated by, and consider myself a student of, the aristocrat/pleb issue. I do have to take issue with the broad stroke of the example you cited, however. Many of the Founding Fathers were indeed men of the people. Samuel Adams was a (multi) failed businessman, and was as poor as any in the Boston community. Paul Rivere, while a highly skilled and well-known craftsman, was hardly an aristocrat. The same can be said for many of the Sons of Liberty. And as for the Aristocrats, many, like John Hancock for example, befriended and even looked up to more common, less stately, men for inspiration. And other aristocratic types rarely (ever?) used terms like "subject" to refer to other Americans. Moreover, I don't recall any reasoning from the Founders along the lines of, "...people are not capable of this decision making, therefore we must do what's in their interest." Quite the opposite. The Founders expressed a disdain for that kind of thinking, which is what separation from the Crown was all about. I would argue that shared common ideals between both aristocrat and commoners were so intertwined and so involved with the founding, that it adds a specific ingredient that helped define American Exceptionalism.

Back to regularly scheduled (and on topic) programming... Middle of the roader here. I love and appreciate the high end/boutiquey stuff...for sure. Even though I dont have much of it. But I also find that appreciating the traditional wares is a form of sophistication in itself.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great topic, @naughtilus :)

When I first started shaving almost 50 years ago, my dad gave me one of his old razors, blades were used until it was obvious they were spent and my brush was left in my shaving mug with the soap.

Didn't worry much about technique (wet my face, a little water in the mug, lather up and one pass WTG was about it) or shaving 'stuff'.

Grew a beard through the 1970s and 1980s. When I got back into shaving, it was with a Gillette Atra (really not a bad two blade razor at all) my father-in-law bought me for Christmas and whatever canned gunk I used. Played with electrics from time to time but always went back to the Atra.

My wife bought me a beautiful Merkur Progress for Christmas 2013 which I used with Proraso Green and the Frank Shaving Synthetic brush.

Then I found B&B and my obsessive nature kicked in. ;)

Been trying a number of (what I would term) quality razors but nothing over $150 - not yet, at least.

Fragrances? Stetson all the way. Wife approved.

Artisan soaps? Reasonably priced soaps seem to work fine.

So I guess my heart is that of a common shaver.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I fit into the common man shaver here.
No desire for anything fancy in my shave gear: Cella and Proraso are my “high end” products, sometimes I’m content with using the good Old Barbasol for variety.
Lately just been using my Techs with Rapira blades. They do the job.
Minimalist I’ve become.
Might sell most my razors too... I’ve no more desire for more products except maybe restocking blades when needed.

I'm in the middle camp. I enjoy what works, but I do like (but can't afford) some the high-end stuff. I have a few modern razors and lots of soaps.

Top Bottom