What's new

Are you a common man shaver or a niche shaver?

Does it matter if my shaving music is usually Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man each morning?

Just kidding. It's Tiny Tim singing Tip Toe Through the Tulips.

My Arsenal of Shaveocracy is workmanlike. The most I ever spent on a razor was below $100. I consider Tabac a "high end" soap. I have never bought a 100 pack of Feather blades. My best brush is a Parker. I love that I can get 3 tubes of C.O. Bigelow at Bath and Body Works for $20.

Before joining B&B I thought I had too many razors by owning 2 DE and 1 SE. Only had one razor (my Slim) when I was in the Navy, You learn how to minimalize your shave kit when there is not much space in your locker. Blades were always Wilkinson Sword. Soaps I got what was available and cheap. But I did spoil myself by changing over to a bowl when I watched my Uncle press soap into his bowl. Nothing notable till I got to B&B.
Now I'm still a common man shaver, just have a lot of common man stuff. Only 55 razors, mostly vintage and only 15 brushes, mostly vintage. Soap? only 3, Cella Kilo, Arko bowl pressed and Williams/Dove mix. After Shave is also only 3, I like Lucky Tiger Bay Rum, Pinaud Bay Rum and my Home Made.
My Wife always liked my smooth shaves and she says that at my age I can spoil myself a little as long as I clean up after myself. She likes touching my face while we have our coffee in the morning. Looking back, I guess I'm just an ordinary man enjoying an extraordinary shave.

Interesting question!

I have a foot in both camps. I enjoy Pinaud clubman, Proraso green, Cella, Chinese blades and my Lord L6.
I also enjoy my 2-band badgers, Wolfman WR1 and MdC!! :a29:
Yeah and just which Chinese Blades
Is it that you're enjoying so much.
BigJ we know you pretty well around
Here.

Can't answer your last question, I'm in the Rex pass around but it won't get here for months. Meanwhile, what do you call it when your razor rotation is two Gillette adjustables and a Gem Micromatic?
I'd call it a A DAM FINE ROTATION

What do you call when all razors I own are <$30 Fatips?

proxy.php
I'd call it a PIECE OF C**P COLLECTION
Oh do I Hate Fatip with their Queer
Thread size and weak little tiny handles.

I started out as the “common man,” then I dipped my feet into the sea “niche” ... I never looked back.

Nom, nom, nom!

I like to try "niche" products out from time to time, but I have to say I'm squarely in the "Common Man" camp here.

I went through a phase trying different hardware and software but even then the priority was what worked best. I’ve been lucky enough to enjoy basic brushes, razors, creams, etc. and every day I see fewer reasons to add anything “better” (read more expensive) than what I have and use.

So, common it is.

Last edited:
I think that simply using a DE or Injector razor makes me a niche shaver, but in the B&B Universe I must be on the common man end of the spectrum. And a "spectrum" it is.
The most I've paid for a single item is CAD$49.95 for a modern all-stainless razor, followed by two Simpson badger brushes, each at CAD$48.50.
I think Mennen Skin Bracer is great, but so is Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender AS (received in a PIF).
Williams Mug - I could live with just that, if I had to.
I think the most exotic thing I just gotta have on the shelf is Reuzel aftershave, but it's not very expensive as AS goes.

I'd call it a PIECE OF C**P COLLECTION
Oh do I Hate Fatip with their Queer
Thread size and weak little tiny handles.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I could have bought 1 premium Manchurian badger Chubby instead of 6 Best badgers. Niche shavers go with Less is More. Common man shavers will buy 15+ vintage razors instead of 1 Rex Ambassador. Does the Rex shave better than a Slim Adjustable?

My answer to your question is a definitive "yes," in my experience with both razors. (I PIF'd my Slim.) Does that mean more expensive gear is better than less expensive? Definitively, "no." My Fatip piccolo and GameChanger Jaws are both awesome razors. As are my Charcoal Goods Level 3 razors in brass, Paradigm 17-4 and Asylum RX. The former are inexpensive; the latter are anything but.

I enjoy finding the next great piece of gear, hardware or software, at whatever price (within reason). At the point when I thought there could not be a better soap than Tabac, I pulled the trigger on a tub of MdC (in part because I correctly bought into the cheap price-per-shave arguments in favor of MdC). Everyone's utility curve is different, but I can be happy about spending $60 for a tub of MdC, but regret spending $18 for a tub of soap from artisan-of-the-moment.

Fatip Grande doesn't have a tiny handle, although it is a bit slippery for my taste. And yes, it has the different thread size.

Use a common M5 top cap and a common M5 handle and you solve the Fatip problem. Except that you now have a Frankenrazor, which is definitely niche.

Top Bottom