What's new

What TV series you watching?

Anyone watching Yellowstone on the Paramount channel? Directed and written by Taylor Sheridan. Kevin Costner, Cole Hauser (who is amazing) and Kelly Reilly (giggedy).
Its really well done. Great writing and scenery.
Top notch production. Must have cost a fortune.

I've been following the PBS American Experience "Chasing the Moon" series, on the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo projects.
I keep thinking "Wow, they really nailed the costumes, the hair, the cars, the props, the sets, etc." forgetting it's all archive footage. I'm not used to seeing the high-quality colour film from that era in a documentary.

Just finished season 2 of "Black Spot" on Netflix. It has a touch of David Lynch in its portrayal of a remote French area. ...
I just started that too. I see what you mean by comparing it to "Twin Peaks" - mysterious deaths, small town with a sawmill about to close, law enforcement guy from out of town with a few quirks, local law enforcement with a few quirks, person in a coma, lots of taxidermy on display. Still waiting for donuts though. Maybe "the crows are not what they seem".

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Anyone watching Yellowstone on the Paramount channel? Directed and written by Taylor Sheridan. Kevin Costner, Cole Hauser (who is amazing) and Kelly Reilly (giggedy).
Its really well done. Great writing and scenery.
Top notch production. Must have cost a fortune.

Love it!!

I liked the 1st season, 2nd was pretty good. 3rd was underwhelming. This recent batch of Black Mirror episodes was also not good.

Did you like the first two seasons? The third season seems to have big changes to me.
I agree. My grandkids love the series saw we saw seasons 1 and 2 which were OK. However, I don't recall the vulgar language and profanity used in Season 3 in the previous seasons.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I agree. My grandkids love the series saw we saw seasons 1 and 2 which were OK. However, I don't recall the vulgar language and profanity used in Season 3 in the previous seasons.
Why do they do this? I'm no prude, but so much of it no longer shocks, if that is the value they are aiming at.

I am about two episodes in to Season 3. Seems to me that the show is trying to deal with the fact that its characters are getting older. But is has gotten very dark and may have lost its mojo. I have not given up on it yet.

I had not noticed the language so much--maybe that is just me and my own foul mouth--but I did notice the massive amount of cigarette smoking, and I know Netflix has gotten grief about that and has promised to do better in the future. As a former smoker myself who would like not to restart, cigarette smoking in movies and on TV bothers me, and I do not care about historical accuracy, unless it is a bio, I guess, and the character in real life died of lung cancer or similar. It always feels like someone is getting paid off to endanger my and others health. I particularly hate it when a character is stressed so reverts to smoking a cigarette to feel better. What the heck kind of message is that?

I am about two episodes in to Season 3. Seems to me that the show is trying to deal with the fact that its characters are getting older. But is has gotten very dark and seems to have lost its mojo.

I had not noticed the language so much--maybe that is just me and my own foul mouth--but I did notice the massive amount of cigarette smoking, and I know Netflix has gotten grief about that and has promised to do better in the future. As a former smoker myself who would like not to restart, cigarette smoking in movies and on TV bothers me, and I do not care about historical accuracy, unless it is a bio, I guess, and the character in real life died of lung cancer or similar. It always feels like someone is getting paid off big time.
I quit smoking for over two years by vaping. TV or Movies didn't get me back on the smokes, but extreme stress. I've been back on the vape for about two days now. I still want to light one up, but less so with the vape in hand.

An interesting timing of posts, BigD. Nicotine is one addictive substance. And highly psychoactive. It is a stress reliever.

An interesting timing of posts, BigD. Nicotine is one addictive substance. And highly psychoactive. It is a stress reliever.
Yeah, tell me about it. I sat there after something happened and asked myself, "Do I get blown up as a miserable non-smoker, or do I get blown up mellowed out as a smoker? Either way my kid is rich."

Top Bottom