What's new

What TV series you watching?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I am about two episodes in to Season 3. Seems to me that the show is trying to deal with the fact that its characters are getting older. But is has gotten very dark and may have lost its mojo. I have not given up on it yet.

I had not noticed the language so much--maybe that is just me and my own foul mouth--but I did notice the massive amount of cigarette smoking, and I know Netflix has gotten grief about that and has promised to do better in the future. As a former smoker myself who would like not to restart, cigarette smoking in movies and on TV bothers me, and I do not care about historical accuracy, unless it is a bio, I guess, and the character in real life died of lung cancer or similar. It always feels like someone is getting paid off to endanger my and others health. I particularly hate it when a character is stressed so reverts to smoking a cigarette to feel better. What the heck kind of message is that?

I noticed the prevalent smoking in season 3, not so much the swearing. I even, during one episode, commented to my wife about how smoking was a much bigger part of the culture back then.

I'm sorry it triggers you (truly), but it is accurate to the time period and I am glad they aren't 'sanitizing' the reality of what was. Just like cocaine use is shown as prevalent in many accurate '70s & '80s period shows (City On A Hill, The Deuce, for example). The mid-day drinking (and smoking in general) as normal in Mad Men also comes to mind.

I thought season 2 was 'darker' than season 3. The latest season does a good job of balancing the dark with moments of comedic relief and light heartedness imo.

Last edited:
The Office. US version.

I’ve probably watched it 87 gazillion times so far, but i still won’t quit. The day Canadian Netflix takes it off ( January 2021 apparently) will be an extremely sad day at my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Started The First (Hulu) last night. Only 3 episodes in but we like it a lot so far, the cinematography is excellent, as is the acting.

Watched one episode of the Veronica Mars (Hulu) reboot. Really disappointed, don't think we'll be continuing with that one.

Year of the rabbit, with Matt Berry

This is hilarious, love it.

I've also been watching Good Omens on Amazon Prime. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's good.

Mrs. Pricey likes Gentleman Jack, which I don't mind. We watch on BBC iPlayer and have the final episode to come.

Just finished the third season of Peaky Blinders. That show is getting better and better. At this point I would rate it a couple of notches above Boardwalk Empire.

I've just started out on it. It's going to be another one I watch, like Babylon Berlin, when the missus is out, or I am away on a business trip(!) Not her thing, violence and gore.

Halfway through the latest season of Queen of the South. Stranger Things is next. People need to lighten up about smoking in films and episodic shows.

I finished up Season 3 of Stranger Things. Meh, I suppose. I do not think this series would have gotten any attention if the third season were shown first. Just not very compelling to me.

I finished up Season 3 of Stranger Things. Meh, I suppose. I do not think this series would have gotten any attention if the third season were shown first. Just not very compelling to me.
Part The Thing, part Alien, part Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, part Walking dead.
I think they lost the mojo that made season 1 so good.

Another Life. Netflix series starring Katee Sackhoff. Not sure about it, yet. Also not sure if Sackhoff is strong enough to carry a "lead role".

Legion

Staff member
I’ve just begun watching Dark on Netflix also. It’s very good. A sort of Stranger Things in German.
The story is a lot more complicated though. It’s one I actually have to concentrate on to keep up. Good show.

Just watched the first episode of The Boys. It has really drawn me in. I hope the rest of the season is as good.

My wife signed up to Hulu yesterday to watch "Mom". Insert your appropriate emoji here as I can't find the "shoot myself in the head" or "puke" emoji. The one good thing is that Hulu has all the Brit "New Tricks" episodes and my wife has fallen asleep during every one so far.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just starting season 20.

MV5BYzkwZDgwZmQtOWE4Yy00ZjgyLTgxZTYtZTRiMTg5MWY4NTFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_.jpg

Top Bottom