What's new

Acquistitions 23 Feb - 1 Mar 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
British HD Rocket - after a little Maas and elbow grease this one turned into a stunning specimen. I'm really impressed by the heft and detailing on these! It puts my poor little 40s SS to shame.

I wonder how it looks in a side by side picture comparison :smile:

Shuffled out to the mailbox to find that my order from Superlather.com and ShavingEssentials.com had arrived. Brought the mail into the house where I sorted out while the wife watched. I pretended to not be in any particular rush (while my heart seemingly 'bout burst out of my chest). SWMBO tells me to "go ahead, shave...get it out of your system", and I rush off to the bathroom with my new treasures. I received 2 (TALLOW BASED) Palmolive Shave Sticks, a Trumpers Lime refill, an Institute Karite puck and a bunch of samples from ShavingEssentials.com along with the usual hand written thank you card, (gotta love those guys). I must of looked funny trying to shave with GFT Lime on my left cheek, Institute Karite on my right, and Palmolive Shave Stick on my chin and down the center of my neck. I don't know which I like the best. Maybe I'll have to shave twice tomorrow. I can't wait!

Mailman was good all around - I received Provence Sante to day from a place called Touch of Europe (referenced here this week as having a special price on PS). I bought mine and they shipped very quickly. I was originally a bit put off by the cost of shippng but, given how fast it got here and how well the redware bowl was packed (bubble AND paper AND other stuff) - I'm competely OK.

Unfortunately, I'd already shaved for the day- have to wait until tomorrow to give this a try.

Yeah, soon after asking the question I did some research. It is in fact a toggle, and they were produced in 1960, and I think that was the only year.

Lucky duck!:prrr::::wink:

OK, this is one of those funny stories that you would never believe. Today I was in town to do some stocking up of my supplies. I went into a drugstore to get some new after shave balm. I wanted to try the Tabac Original After Shave Balm and while I was searching for it in the drugstore I found myself looking at a straight razor (in a franchised drugstor :lol:) wrapped up in a cheap plastic case. I had a look at it and at first sight I didn't think very much of it, since it had some stains on them. After some further research I found out that I was able to rub those stains of with my finger. It was actually oil to preserve the blade.

Anyway, I looked at the make, which was Malteser. I had never heard about it, therefore I still didn't think very much of it; evenmore when I found some minor scratches on the scales. After cheching the price, I thought I would take my chances - it was 14.95 EUR!!! The person that helped me said it was something left over in stock from years ago, hence the clearance!

As my barber had advised me to try and find a cheap straight razor to practise honing with, I definitely convinced myself to buy it. So I came home with a (new) straight razor, even though I was just stocking up on some shaving supplies.

As curious as I am, I decided to look up information one the internet. So I 'googled': malteser razor and it came up with the site zamberg.com. After searching for half a minute I found the razor that just looked like mine:
Malteser 7/8
I compared it completely and even took measurements.... conclusion it is the same. I never looked at the price until that second... I bought this straight razor for 14.95 and its retail price happened to be 199 USD!!!

As I continued reading on the website I found out that the etching was made out of 24K Gold!!! I couldn't believe what I ws reading. So I checked over and over again...

After stropping, I also did a HHT and the razor happens to be very sharp as well!

Let me say no more...

Here are some pictures (sorry for the quality):

I wonder how it looks in a side by side picture comparison :smile:

A bit like this --

proxy.php

The finish on the HD and SS is similar, but the knurling seems more pronounced on the HD. I also appreciate the ring towards the head of the HD -- it's a small detail but adds just that much more class to the overall appearance. You'd have to hold both in your hands to really notice the difference. The SS seems puny comparatively. I'll find out soon how the actual shave compares.

Last edited:
Fantastic - I wish I had a razor from my ol' dad.

Lucky you & lucky Dad to have a son who appreciates him... be sure to let him know.

Shuffled out to the mailbox to find that my order from Superlather.com and ShavingEssentials.com had arrived. Brought the mail into the house where I sorted out while the wife watched. I pretended to not be in any particular rush (while my heart seemingly 'bout burst out of my chest). SWMBO tells me to "go ahead, shave...get it out of your system", and I rush off to the bathroom with my new treasures. I received 2 (TALLOW BASED) Palmolive Shave Sticks, a Trumpers Lime refill, an Institute Karite puck and a bunch of samples from ShavingEssentials.com along with the usual hand written thank you card, (gotta love those guys). I must of looked funny trying to shave with GFT Lime on my left cheek, Institute Karite on my right, and Palmolive Shave Stick on my chin and down the center of my neck. I don't know which I like the best. Maybe I'll have to shave twice tomorrow. I can't wait!

Nice score :w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom