What's new

Bic Blades ?

Sounds like you have similar facial hair to mine. I haven't tried a Nacet yet.

Nacets are a favorite of many people. They are not quite as smooth as some blades, but they work well for me in anything other than an aggressive razor like the R41. In that razor, they feel a harsh on the skin.

Nacets are a favorite of many people. They are not quite as smooth as some blades, but they work well for me in anything other than an aggressive razor like the R41. In that razor, they feel a harsh on the skin.

I'll go along with that. They are "attuned" to Middle Eastern shaving patterns, whatever that may be. o_O

Nacet Stainless are uncoated blades. Like with straight razor edges you want your lather adjusted to be wetter and slicker. No lubrication is baked in the metal, it's raw steel against your skin.

Uncoated start sharp and become duller in a linear fashion.
Coated start dull untill the coating begins wearing off, then get sharper, then duller.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Many times there will be multiple versions of brands. For example, I understand the Derby Premiums may be a little better than Derby Extra, but have not tried them as I am looking for more than a marginal improvement.

I always read that Dorco blades were not very sharp, so I avoided them. After learning that Dorco Prime Platinum blades were sharper, I tried them and liked them well enough to purchase 100 more.

On the first shave, Astra SP and Personna Lab Blue blades are not quite sharp enough for my beard; fortunately, they work better after that first shave. In contrast, Astra SS and Personna Israeli Reds and Crystals work fine from the start, so I prefer them.

I seem to do OK with both Rapira Platinum Lux and Voskhod blades. I put them in the same category as many of the mid-sharp Gillette blades (Silver Blues, 7 O'Clock Greens, etc.) They work well in aggressive razors. In less aggressive razors, I prefer even sharper blades.

The only blades I have tried that are simply not sharp enough to get through the first shave are: Shark Super Stainless, Derby Extra, Merkur and VDH. I was really surprised by the Merkur and VDH blades as they are made in Germany. Since they perform similarly and are both sold as "ice tempered" blades made in Germany, I suspect the VDH blades are rebranded Merkur blades, but I cannot confirm that. I am sure there are other blades that might perform similarly, but I have avoided them.These four brands are often included with new DE razors. My guess is that the manufacturers are afraid that the purchaser might not have the skill level to try sharper blade at the start.
What I find interesting is my Fatip Piccolo came with a tuck of GSB's, and it is an absolute dream with Nacets. I usually get 2-4 shaves with a Feather but I just got 9 shaves from a Nacet. Since I love sharp blades I will have to order some!

What I find interesting is my Fatip Piccolo came with a tuck of GSB's, and it is an absolute dream with Nacets. I usually get 2-4 shaves with a Feather but I just got 9 shaves from a Nacet. Since I love sharp blades I will have to order some!

I have not shaved with a Fatip, so I am not sure how they perform, but with the exception of the Muhle R41 which has a definite face feel, many open comb razors manage to be very efficient with out being highly aggressive. I love my Parker 24C open comb. Like your Piccolo, Nacet blades work quite well in the 24C. I just wish I could get more than three shaves from a blade. For me, Feather blades rarely make it though the third shave.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have not shaved with a Fatip, so I am not sure how they perform, but with the exception of the Muhle R41 which has a definite face feel, many open comb razors manage to be very efficient with out being highly aggressive. I love my Parker 24C open comb. Like your Piccolo, Nacet blades work quite well in the 24C. I just wish I could get more than three shaves from a blade. For me, Feather blades rarely make it though the third shave.
I have had the Piccolo for a month now, and have used Feather, GSB, Nacet, and Astra SP with it. I find it is a mild yet efficient razor, in fact it is my #1 right now.
The Nacet that I got 9 shaves with had 2 shaves with a Gentile head, then 2 shaves with a Prewar Tech, then 4 shaves with an NSC, and the 9th shave with my Piccolo before I tossed it.
I am also a Newbie to DE shaving after using electric for 4 decades, and I am still refining my technique. But I had only been getting 2-3 shaves before getting nicks and weepers.

The first part of the thread about Bic blades was pretty negative, but I see now another batch of enablers is favoring them. So I will be trying them soon.

Nacet Stainless are uncoated blades...

All Gillette blades are coated. Pay no attention to nomenclature like "Stainless" or "Platinum" as they are merely names for selling purposes. If they made an uncoated blade you wouldn't be able to shave with it worth a damn due to all the tugging & pulling. Try an old uncoated Blue Blade from decades ago to understand a whole new meaning of pain.

All Gillette blades are coated. Pay no attention to nomenclature like "Stainless" or "Platinum" as they are merely names for selling purposes. If they made an uncoated blade you wouldn't be able to shave with it worth a damn due to all the tugging & pulling. Try an old uncoated Blue Blade from decades ago to understand a whole new meaning of pain.

Ha! Actually I wouldn't be surprised one bit that to be the case. I only talk blades here because everyone is obsessed by them as modus for fine tweaking their technique. Before I joined shaving forums a blade was a blade and all that mattered was how many shaves it had on it. 5 shaves was pushing my luck. Here on the forums blade brands are the ultimate performance factor (to the extent of tribalism), and blades last forever. I'm not saying there's no difference between blades, but I feel we exaggerate them immensely.

I'm not saying there's no difference between blades, but I feel we exaggerate them immensely.

About a year ago I tried all of the blades in a 12 blade sample pack. Three of those blades simply could not cut the hairs in the tough places no matter how many passes. Another 3 of those blades cut those hairs on the first pass. The rest cut them all in a couple of passes. There is a difference.
However, some of the better blades stunk when I used them in a different razor.
Not surprisingly, some of my favorite blades are considered as junk by other B&Bers.
We all have different faces, razors, soaps, water quality, techniques, etc., etc., etc. and different ideas of what a shave should feel like. People have personal opinions.

There are differences, mainly the hone angle and coating processes. I think some of the best blades have a harder edge coupled with great coatings which impart smoothness. It's a given that a Gillette Platinum is a better blade than say their Sputnik as an example. Something is different and my SWAG (Scientific Wild A_ _ Guess). is the aforementioned processes.

There are differences, mainly the hone angle and coating processes. I think some of the best blades have a harder edge coupled with great coatings which impart smoothness. It's a given that a Gillette Platinum is a better blade than say their Sputnik as an example. Something is different and my SWAG (Scientific Wild A_ _ Guess). is the aforementioned processes.
Just a question: Do you prefer Gillette Super Thin Mejorada or Gillette Nacet?

BDF96ACF-74F3-44DE-8CD0-A58E347A71F2.jpeg

Bic blades in the Wilkinson razor today. I’m very happy with the shaves I get with this blade/razor combo.

Just a question: Do you prefer Gillette Super Thin Mejorada or Gillette Nacet?

I like them both to be perfectly honest. I use almost all the modern made Gillette blades regularly in a whimsical rotation with the exception of the 7 O'Clock Perma-Sharp made in India and the Polsilver. The latter as it's too expensive and IMO shaves no better than a Platinum or Rubie. YMMV.

I will add that once a person has their favorite razor mastered, as well as their technique & prep, that there will be more variation in a shave caused by the soap quality than the blade when using top tier Gillette blades.

Is that razor as mild as the Weishi/VDH starter razor?

I would not be at all surprised if the Wilkinson Sword razor is identical to the VDH long handled razor, with the exception of the knurling on the handle. However, not having used the WS razor, I cannot confirm that. It sure looks like the same head design.

I think I'm going to get 500 of these buggers lol.

The reason... The BICs are the only blades usable for all my razors. From the mild ETs to NSC to the dreaded GC84. It has tamed them all and given me really super shaves.

Top Bottom