What's new

Looking at a new hunting rifle.

I love it. It breaks cleanly, and doesn't seem overly weighty, though I don't know what it is off hand. When antelope hunting, I'm typically looking at 300-400 yards, sometimes more, and I rarely have any problem with one-shot kills. I understand the allure of a classic wooden stock, but given that Wyoming hunting in the fall often cycles between rainy, snowy, and sunny, I prefer the plastic stock. Also, I know this is subjective, but in terms of fit and handling, this is one of the most comfortable rifles I've used.
Thanks!

I was looking for a deer rifle a few years ago. I too was looking at the likes of Kimber, Ruger, Browning, Etc. due to my experience with their guns and their craftsmanship. A friend, who also has several very nice firearms, recommended I buy, not look, at a Savage. He stressed to only buy one with the Acutrigger. I took his advice and bought a 243, synthetic stock with the Accutrigger. I can't say enough good things about it. It is a nail driver! The most accurate gun I own!

"Accuracy, thy name is Savage..."

I was looking at a 110 seriously. I know they are known for accuracy and pricing. From what I can see, you can’t get one without a bunch of plastic parts on the bottom. It’s probably just as good or better but I can’t get past it. If I get into more shooting than I do now, it would be a great way to expand into other calibers.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have an older Savage 110 .308 heavy barrel that was pre-Accutrigger, put a Rifle Basix trigger in it. Used it as a target rifle for FTR 600 yd. shooting. I changed the stock once, but would would add a laminated target stock if I ever get back into the FTR game. I know bottom metal is available in the after market.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
"Accuracy, thy name is Savage..."

a27a51dee7a62761c84f003be8437501.png

I was looking at a 110 seriously. I know they are known for accuracy and pricing. From what I can see, you can’t get one without a bunch of plastic parts on the bottom. It’s probably just as good or better but I can’t get past it. If I get into more shooting than I do now, it would be a great way to expand into other calibers.

My Savage 110 single shot .22-250 below is boringly accurate at 100 yards.

Savage 110 SS .22.250 Leupold 20x.JPG

I took a friend down to the gun club one day, he'd never shot a rifle before. Three shots later he put the rifle down and said "This is too easy." He was shooting at bottle caps at 100 yards. I suggested he try the thumbtacks holding the targets to the stands. He got just as bored just as quickly lol. It will put 5 in a 1/4" or less at 100.

The Savage 110 and 112's are amazingly accurate rifles with the right load. Avoid the low end rifles with the cheap flexible plastic stocks. To make them shoot they need to be properly bedded. Mine is an older rifle, before they had the AccuTrigger and the trigger is finicky, but it is tuneable and can be set very light. Mine is just under 2lbs pull with zero creep. Its not as good as a Remington trigger, but its pretty good. That rifle has a synthetic stock and the trigger guard is part of the stock. Thats not a bad thing. The only bad thing about that rifle is the 26" heavy barrel makes it very barrel heavy.

This Remington .220 Swift below I shot 1/2" or smaller groups with at 200.

Remington SSF-V .220 Swift Baush & Lomb  24x.JPG

My nephew is working up new loads for it and he sent me the target the other day.

53c49754b4053b50ced186c668e8b1112b17278a.jpg

He also has a 'budget' Savage 7mm mag. It has bedding issues. These are the groups shot with it.

500d8d67b3f0d4cb1efe9a7f36781a4053d295e9.jpg

I've seen a few of the budget rifles shoot similar groups. If you pick one up, try and move the fore end around the barrel. You'll be surprised how flexible those stocks are.

If you want accuracy avoid the budget rifles.

I don't know that I fully agree. Mine has the synthetic stock and it don't get more accurate than that gun!

It cost me $300.00. When I bought it, I was ready to buy a rifle in the $1 - 2,000 range. Glad I hung on to those dollars!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You got a good one. The last rifle I bought was my Sako TRG-S .338 Lapua, in 1995. It was $750. I was looking at the Weatherby Accumark in .338/.378, it was $2400 at the time. Both synthetic stocked. I bought the Sako and glad I did.

Three groups shot from it with handloaded 225 grain Barnes TSX at 3200fps.

2011-07-09 14.03.57.jpg

The budget rifles I've had experience with responded pretty well to tweaking. Simply re-torquing the action screws can improve accuracy a great deal. A .270 I played with responded well to that. The action screws were way too tight. I backed them off and hand tightened them and the group size was cut in half to about 1 1/4"s.

Another I played with, a Ruger 77 .25/06 heavy barrel/laminated stock needed an oiled business card shim between barrel and forend. After that it shot 1/2" groups at 200. Nice rifle that one was.

I have an older Savage 110 .308 heavy barrel that was pre-Accutrigger, put a Rifle Basix trigger in it. Used it as a target rifle for FTR 600 yd. shooting. I changed the stock once, but would would add a laminated target stock if I ever get back into the FTR game. I know bottom metal is available in the after market.
I saw that there are metal replacement parts. That’s an option. Even the pretty xbolt Browning, which I can’t quit thinking about, has a polymer magazine. Browning says they are better than metal magazines. Who knows...

I’ve got my dad’s 80-something Browning A bolt. It’s japanese.
Yes, I think they went there from Belgium. I thought some of their more expensive guns were still made here, but I don’t think they ever were. I was thinking of Weatherby. I think the make v are made here and the vanguard actions come from Japan. Japan must be good barrel makers!

Cool that you have your dad’s a bolt!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I’ve got my dad’s 80-something Browning A bolt. It’s japanese.

A Browning BBR .270 Winchester, the predecessor to the A Bolt, was my first hunting rifle. I shot my first deer with it.

first buck.JPG

Offhand in a tight sling with 130 grain Winchester Silvertips that rifle would put 4 shots in a cigarette package at 400 yards. They were also made by Miroku in Japan.

A Browning BBR .270 Winchester, the predecessor to the A Bolt, was my first hunting rifle. I shot my first deer with it.

View attachment 965429

Offhand in a tight sling with 130 grain Winchester Silvertips that rifle would put 4 shots in a cigarette package at 400 yards. They were also made by Miroku in Japan.
Great photo! Thanks

2DAFCE11-C3A5-41A6-9CE7-91DF1B7313D8.jpeg
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Ruger. I love the gun. It’s not as pretty as the Browning, but I handled all of them and couldn’t stand it anymore. I spoke to the gunsmith and by chance he likes the rifle too. He showed me his m77 which was the same as the one I was looking at. With Hornady factory ammo he was getting awesome groups at various huge distances. He had a stack of shot up targets full of little groups from their range.

I was looking at the xbolt and Kimber, but the Ruger just felt right. The controlled feed action and the safety set up was awesome. The stock isn’t walnut, but it’s not plastic either. It should be weather proof and durable.

Ruger® Hawkeye® Predator Bolt-Action Rifle Models

I also ordered the Leupold v3i 4.5-14 with the cds dial system.

VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm | Leupold

0668EFE8-5103-4BD0-9161-9B8C6DEC8FE7.jpeg

I’ll have to wait for the scope to come in, but it’s all paid for....

Can’t wait to shoot now!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and great photos.

I just started using a 6.5 Grendel AR on hogs this past winter,its a pretty nice rig the only downfall is the ammo,Its pricey,I will definitely load my own.My other go to rifles are a ruger american 308,or my trusty winchester 94 30/30.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
View attachment 965502 Well, I pulled the trigger on the Ruger. I love the gun. It’s not as pretty as the Browning, but I handled all of them and couldn’t stand it anymore. I spoke to the gunsmith and by chance he likes the rifle too. He showed me his m77 which was the same as the one I was looking at. With Hornady factory ammo he was getting awesome groups at various huge distances. He had a stack of shot up targets full of little groups from their range.

I was looking at the xbolt and Kimber, but the Ruger just felt right. The controlled feed action and the safety set up was awesome. The stock isn’t walnut, but it’s not plastic either. It should be weather proof and durable.

Ruger® Hawkeye® Predator Bolt-Action Rifle Models

I also ordered the Leupold v3i 4.5-14 with the cds dial system.

VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm | Leupold

View attachment 965508

I’ll have to wait for the scope to come in, but it’s all paid for....

Can’t wait to shoot now!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and great photos.

Good choice in rifle and glass. Theres a 6.5-20 Leupold EFR Target on my Savage .22-250. After more than 20 years its still perfect.

The Remington has a Bausch & Lomb Elite 6-24. I cant tell them apart at 20x.

The Leupold duplex reticle can be used as a range finding reticle too. At 20x the thinner vertical bottom post on mine spans 4"s. The red line in the picture below.

2c703b82-63bd-4e53-915e-e04b1ec8446a._CR0,0,1000,1000_PT0_SX300__.png.jpg

Four inches just happens to be the height of an adult woodchucks head if he's looking straight at you at 100 yards. From bottom of chin to top of head between the ears. Hang a tape measure at 100 yards and remember how many inches it spans and that can help you determine the approximate range.

The Ruger I shot and tuned was a M77 Mark II Target 25/06.

3377_10_34-ruger-m77-7mm-mag.jpg

They will shoot. Which caliber did you decide on? Will you be handloading for it?

Good choice in rifle and glass. Theres a 6.5-20 Leupold EFR Target on my Savage .22-250. After more than 20 years its still perfect.

The Remington has a Bausch & Lomb Elite 6-24. I cant tell them apart at 20x.

The Leupold duplex reticle can be used as a range finding reticle too. At 20x the thinner vertical bottom post on mine spans 4"s. The red line in the picture below.

View attachment 965713

Four inches just happens to be the height of an adult woodchucks head if he's looking straight at you at 100 yards. From bottom of chin to top of head between the ears. Hang a tape measure at 100 yards and remember how many inches it spans and that can help you determine the approximate range.

The Ruger I shot and tuned was a M77 Mark II Target 25/06.

View attachment 965707

They will shoot. Which caliber did you decide on? Will you be handloading for it?
6.5 creedmoore. I don’t hand load. The gunsmith I talked to said that his loved the 143 grain hornady factory ammo. I guess it’s a good deer hunting bullet too. Several other factory loads were sub moa in his. I’m hoping mine shoots one of them well.

That’s good to know about the scope! Thanks.

The scope I bought has a caliber specific range knob to put on the top after you zero at 100. I guess you can just dial in up to several hundred yards by 25 yard increments. We’ll see. The gun shop boys all used a similar set up and said it works well.

Enjoy it! Always fun to get a new toy!

Thanks!

I just started using a 6.5 Grendel AR on hogs this past winter,its a pretty nice rig the only downfall is the ammo,Its pricey,I will definitely load my own.My other go to rifles are a ruger american 308,or my trusty winchester 94 30/30.

Cool round!

Top Bottom