What's new

Looking at a new hunting rifle.

Looks good! The wind is an evil beast. In my neck of the woods seems like it's rare to get a calm day anymore.

I shot the Ruger Hawkeye this weekend as well. I shot it at 150 yards which is the longest range I can where I was shooting. This gun is pretty good to go
84FF18FD-A821-45B6-B863-48D2F39C57F3.jpeg
E4E16110-FAF0-4274-9290-6CF943A66DAA.jpeg
. I was happy with the results.

Resurrecting this thread for an update.

Long story short here. A while back I decided to adjust the fancy trigger my Hawkeye Predator has. That was a mistake. I thought everything was going so well.....it wasn’t. It’s a 2 stage target trigger and I was only making it feel worse. Then, it wouldn’t seem to go back to the way it was when I backtracked my changes. Finally, I gave up and took it to the local gun shop. They gave me a “drop it off and we’ll call in a couple months” answer. I hate that shop anyway.

Sooo, a quick call to Ruger and they said send it in, after laughing at me of course. I slapped it back in the box it came in, wrapped it with a couple layers of fancy bubble wrap paper and dropped it off at the local Walgreens which is a Fed Ex pickup/drop.

back to me good as new in a bit over 2 weeks. No charge at all. Spectacular! Of course they shot it and sent a picture to show how it did. I think they just wanted me to feel bad about my groups....
3CED69AB-6122-4E44-BA4E-7A1274B0BEF3.jpeg

I had enclosed a note saying that I would appreciate it if they could adjust the trigger as light as it could be but still be safe for a hunting rifle. The box came back with this photo, and a handwriten note from the tech that shot it. It read “ 1/8” 3 shot group at 50 yards. I‘m a whitetail hunter- trigger is perfect-no touchie trigger.” I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

They also sent me the torque specs for the bolts that hold the gun in the stock with a handwritten note saying they were important to check every couple hundred shots.

I love Ruger customer service!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Resurrecting this thread for an update.

Long story short here. A while back I decided to adjust the fancy trigger my Hawkeye Predator has. That was a mistake. I thought everything was going so well.....it wasn’t. It’s a 2 stage target trigger and I was only making it feel worse. Then, it wouldn’t seem to go back to the way it was when I backtracked my changes. Finally, I gave up and took it to the local gun shop. They gave me a “drop it off and we’ll call in a couple months” answer. I hate that shop anyway.

Sooo, a quick call to Ruger and they said send it in, after laughing at me of course. I slapped it back in the box it came in, wrapped it with a couple layers of fancy bubble wrap paper and dropped it off at the local Walgreens which is a Fed Ex pickup/drop.

back to me good as new in a bit over 2 weeks. No charge at all. Spectacular! Of course they shot it and sent a picture to show how it did. I think they just wanted me to feel bad about my groups.... View attachment 1244924

I had enclosed a note saying that I would appreciate it if they could adjust the trigger as light as it could be but still be safe for a hunting rifle. The box came back with this photo, and a handwriten note from the tech that shot it. It read “ 1/8” 3 shot group at 50 yards. I‘m a whitetail hunter- trigger is perfect-no touchie trigger.” I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

They also sent me the torque specs for the bolts that hold the gun in the stock with a handwritten note saying they were important to check every couple hundred shots.

I love Ruger customer service!

Wow. I think you just helped me decide which brand of rifle I have been considering for another bolt action. I have a Remington 700 Police in .308 and a Savage 110 in .270. I think a Ruger in .243 would be a good next one.

OkieStubble

Not American made, but was going to say the same thing.

I have multiple Tikka rifles. Every single one was .75 MOA out of the box or better.

Don't think there's a better bang for the buck in shooting sports.
Are they reasonably priced or expensive?

Are they reasonably priced or expensive?

That's a relative term, but to compare apples to apples, I have an AI AT in 6.5 CM that shoots about .25 MOA with matched handloads. I also have a Tikka T3x Tac A1 in 6.5 CM that shoots about .33 MOA with matched handloads.

The AI is about $4,000. Picked up the Tikka at $1,600. That's 40% of the cost for an eighth of an inch of MOA.

From the hunting side, when Eurooptic was clearing out their last round of T3s, I picked up a .223, a 7mm-08, and a 6.5 55 Swede. Each cost me under $550. I hunt and shoot with a group of guys who use a bunch of Remington 700s and the like. Each time I let one of these guys try one of my Tikka's, more often than not next time I see them they are shooting a Tikka ...

Perhaps the best way I can put it, when you buy a Tikka, you are essentially buying a Sako at Remington prices.

Wow. I think you just helped me decide which brand of rifle I have been considering for another bolt action. I have a Remington 700 Police in .308 and a Savage 110 in .270. I think a Ruger in .243 would be a good next one.
This is a compact model. All metal and wood with no plastic. Mauser style controlled feed. Made in USA.
I like the .243 as well, but it would be a bit redundant with the 6.5 CM.

This is a compact model. All metal and wood with no plastic. Mauser style controlled feed. Made in USA.
I like the .243 as well, but it would be a bit redundant with the 6.5 CM.

If I could interject, I would say that redundancy is contingent upon what you want to do with it. If you just want to punch paper, then yes, their trajectories are pretty similar save the fact the smaller .243 bullets will be more effected by wind. But if you hunt, their energies are not.

Personally, I like to keep impact energies at >1,000 ft/lbs for whitetails. For a 90gr ELD out of a .243, that starts to go under that level at around 400 yards. By comparison, a 143gr ELD out of a 6.5 CM at the same range is carrying almost 1,500 ft/lbs.

There's plenty of back and forth around whether its ethical to take game at those ranges, but I say that depends upon the skill of the operator. In the end, those ranges aren't all that rare, esp if you hunt west of the Mississippi. Further, the greater wind bucking qualities of the 6.5mm bullet makes doping all that much easier.

Personally, I love to own a variety of calibers, especially in times of scarce ammo. You want it - get it my friend!

If I could interject, I would say that redundancy is contingent upon what you want to do with it. If you just want to punch paper, then yes, their trajectories are pretty similar save the fact the smaller .243 bullets will be more effected by wind. But if you hunt, their energies are not.

Personally, I like to keep impact energies at >1,000 ft/lbs for whitetails. For a 90gr ELD out of a .243, that starts to go under that level at around 400 yards. By comparison, a 143gr ELD out of a 6.5 CM at the same range is carrying almost 1,500 ft/lbs.

There's plenty of back and forth around whether its ethical to take game at those ranges, but I say that depends upon the skill of the operator. In the end, those ranges aren't all that rare, esp if you hunt west of the Mississippi. Further, the greater wind bucking qualities of the 6.5mm bullet makes doping all that much easier.

Personally, I love to own a variety of calibers, especially in times of scarce ammo. You want it - get it my friend!
I agree, but if I go smaller than a 6.5 CM, I would probably go a bit smaller than a .243. Probably a .223 or .204 for the coyote hunting I never seem to get around to. 😂

I am, however, waiting on a bigger round. I am enamored with the new 6.8 Western. I’m waiting for the Henry lever action in that caliber. I bet the Browning BLR will have it sooner.

I agree, but if I go smaller than a 6.5 CM, I would probably go a bit smaller than a .243. Probably a .223 or .204 for the coyote hunting I never seem to get around to. 😂

I am, however, waiting on a bigger round. I am enamored with the new 6.8 Western. I’m waiting for the Henry lever action in that caliber. I bet the Browning BLR will have it sooner.

Man after my own heart. Have heard some great things about that 6.8 Western. Makes me want to go out to grab one, even though I really don't have a practical application for it.

But when has that ever stopped me before??? ... :001_302:

OkieStubble

6.8 Western? Why haven't I heard of this cartridge before? .270 ballistics in a short action? I'll take it! :)

I'll take it in this rifle... :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Looks pretty fancy.

Fancy? I dunno. Innovative? Receiver attached to an aluminum chassis, makes bedding for accuracy obsolete. Barrels are Cryo'd at the factory. Barrel also comes threaded and their 3 lug bolt design is rugged and really user friendly. The cheek piece insert is soft, like a pillow, shims come to help adjust the length of pull and trigger reach and the rear stock pad is also adjustable with shims and screws.

Fancy? I dunno. Innovative? Receiver attached to an aluminum chassis, makes bedding for accuracy obsolete. Barrels are Cryo'd at the factory. Barrel also comes threaded and their 3 lug bolt design is rugged and really user friendly. The cheek piece insert is soft, like a pillow, shims come to help adjust the length of pull and trigger reach and the rear stock pad is also adjustable with shims and screws.
Innovative is probably a better word. Very interesting.

Researching the 6.8 western since I read your post last night. I'm kind of excited. Like, giggly schoolgirl excited. :)
It’s amazingly efficient. It’s a lot like the 6.5 CM in the respect that it’s an improvement on an existing round to accept longer bullets in a short action. Since Browning and Winchester designed it together, I figure they’ll have it in their BLR soon. I was looking at the BLR in 300 WSM, but I think the 6.8 would be sweet too. Maybe Henry will chamber it in their long range levers?

Top Bottom