What's new

Omega Premium Boar

I have the emblem version. Would like it to be a bit taller.... loft??
The handles nice. Mine seems to get a bit floppy when it’s wet.

I have the emblem version. Would like it to be a bit taller.... loft??
The handles nice. Mine seems to get a bit floppy when it’s wet.

You might want to try the Omega 21762 Italian flag brush. It also has a premium handle with a 64mm loft and 27mm knot. It only cost $23. at Shaving Ie site. Maggards also carries it for a little more money.

Omega.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like my Italian Flag but it is a bit floppy.

Jade.MightyMidget.640.4-18.JPG

Neither of these is floppy. Mine I mean.

ItalianFlag.Proraso.640.4-18.JPG

If you like a lot of backbone and want an Omega, get a Proraso Pro or a Mighty Midget (above next to the Jade).

Happy shaves,

Jim

With a few more uses I can report the brush gets better and better. Short loft means serious backbone. Knot is getting softer as tips split. I'm impressed. Anyone looking for a premium boar should consider this one.

Mac

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
With a few more uses I can report the brush gets better and better. Short loft means serious backbone. Knot is getting softer as tips split. I'm impressed. Anyone looking for a premium boar should consider this one.

Mac
Hey Mr Mac, thanks again for the brush you PIF'd me. Forgive my ignorance, but did it have a number? I don't guess I need to know it to know that I love it, but would like to be able to accurately describe it when needed. Yes, I'm slightly OCD.

Boy, that is a beauty. Wow.
Yes. Graydog does beautiful work! It finally arrived yesterday. Yeah!

So how do they sell them so cheap with such good quality?
There doesn't seem to be as much variance in boar bristles as in badger hairs, so, other than keeping the guard hairs to a minimum, not a huge deal of selection process going on. I'm glad they are that way. I would hate to have to spend small fortunes to discover the right brushes. :)

They do construct a solid, well proportioned bulb, which is where truly "cheap" boar brushes fail.

Omega's also have inexpensive handles, for the most part, bordering on "cheap". The Pro 10098's handle is plastic with an obvious seam. It does its job, and does it well, but doesn't do it glamorously. 0204191520-00.jpg
This corrects that flaw :)

Hey Mr Mac, thanks again for the brush you PIF'd me. Forgive my ignorance, but did it have a number? I don't guess I need to know it to know that I love it, but would like to be able to accurately describe it when needed. Yes, I'm slightly OCD.

FT, that was one of my Semogue 610 brushes. Glad you like it. Enjoy.

Question for you Gents. Are either of these boars denser than the Semogue 830? That's what I have. Looks good dry but once wet has big gaping holes and sucks to bowl or face lather. I use a combo. I want a good boar but I always have to redo my lather with my Silvertip or Synthetic. I'm used to a dense brush or maybe I'm a freak and can't get a good boar to do what I want. Help me please! Don't want to hijack this thread, PM me if ya want.

Wtd1911, the 830 was a divine brush, in my experience, for a while, then went limp. I found the 610 a better brush. Both are better for face than bowl lathering.

Suggest you clean your 830 well with Dawn and warm water. You could have soap residue in the knot base.

If you have very hard water, try shaving with distilled water.

Wtd1911, the 830 was a divine brush, in my experience, for a while, then went limp. I found the 610 a better brush. Both are better for face than bowl lathering.

Suggest you clean your 830 well with Dawn and warm water. You could have soap residue in the knot base.

If you have very hard water, try shaving with distilled water.
Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My brushes like to be ship shape...

proxy.php

A box can be had at Sally's. A little goes a long ways so a box is probably a lifetime supply. The box is not too big and not too little. I clean my brushes occasionally, and this is the stuff for the job. I measure with a tablespoon stolen from the kitchen and use a pail bought at the auto parts store which is conveniently made and marked to make it obvious when I have a gallon of warm water in it. The pail is big enough to still have loads of room left over when holding a gallon plus a number of brushes.

Once or twice I've had brushes which just weren't working anymore. I cleaned them with Ship-Shape and they were good as new (or better usually).

It is cheap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Old Italian barbers used to soak their new brushes (and talking about Italian barbers they only could have been giant boar brushes) two days in cold water. The process helps to strengthen the knot and to hydrate the bristles at their full capacity.

A modern and very efficient way to break in a new boar is to soak the brush in a mug of cold water and let it sit three days in the fridge (40F-50F range). During this process, if you take the brush out of the fridge once a day and dry it with a bath towel, the thermal shock and the action of rubbing make the bristles split much faster.

Thanks!
What good advice.
My Omega 48 has become a favorite.
I think I'll have a closer look at Mac's brush.
It makes more sense than a synthetic.

I got my answers here! I prefer the omega 011842 without the emblem. Personal preference I guess. I had to think about it before I purchase.

Omega 10065 from US www.fendrihan.com $10.95 here is a picture. Classic line brush. I was thinking of getting this at one point myself. Here is a picture. Green/jade handle
Note: the 10065 is really a green color handle. The omega 011842 from UK is jade in color more rare. You make your own conclusion. Here is a picture of the jade color handle. That is probably the most cost efficient premium boar bristles. With the jade handle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190210-060732.png
    Screenshot_20190210-060732.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom