What's new

Brush opinions: Omega 621 Super Badger, Semogue Finest Torga Mistura C3/C5, Semogue Torga Finest Badger C3/C5

I’m looking to get a new brush, and have sort of narrowed it down to these in the $50-80 range. I’m used to a smaller handle (in the mid 30mm’s for width and height). I prefer soft bristles and probably more flop than backbone, but not necessarily something that will completely splay out with the gentlest pressure. I bowl lather.

For what it’s worth, I recently got the Omega Jade boar brush from Connaught, and I don’t care for it. It’s equal parts being the handle is huge. I also find it to be much too stiff and the bristles to be scratchy and rough. I’ve only tried a handful of practice lathers and leaving it lathered overnight before washing on two occasions. So, I know it’ll become less stuff and softer with time. Still, I’d prefer something that is closer to out of the box what I’m looking for.

These are pretty different brushes, so I’m not necessarily looking for head to head comparisons. But I would appreciate opinions anyone has on each of these.

Last edited:
Don’t give up on that Jade, it takes around 30 lathers to break in, but when it does, it’s fantastic! I wouldn’t do anything special regards to breaking it in, except give it a quick soak & a bowl lather every other day while you’re using your other brushes. That should break it in rather quick.
The Mistura is a great brush, it’s pretty soft out of the box, but will also break in and get softer over time.(I think this would be your best option)
Sorry, I have not tried the Torga brushes yet.

Don’t give up on that Jade, it takes around 30 lathers to break in, but when it does, it’s fantastic! I wouldn’t do anything special regards to breaking it in, except give it a quick soak & a bowl lather every other day while you’re using your other brushes. That should break it in rather quick.
The Mistura is a great brush, it’s pretty soft out of the box, but will also break in and get softer over time.(I think this would be your best option)
Sorry, I have not tried the Torga brushes yet.

I actually have gotten used to the stiffness and the knot overall of the Jade. However, the handle still feels much too large to me. It’s not like I have small dainty hands either. I guess I’m just really used to a small handle after using the one brush for 12 years.

I have the slightly bigger Omega 618. Super gentle tips, very little backbone bordering into being floppy. Good for painting more than splaying.

Top Bottom