What's new

New Omega Premium Boar

For any boar fans out there, Connaught now has a new Omega Premium Boar. The knot is the same as the Jade but it has a faux ivory resin handle.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
For any boar fans out there, Connaught now has a new Omega Premium Boar. The knot is the same as the Jade but it has a faux ivory resin handle.

Ordered one just this minute.

6-18-23.Opgress.Mike's.Jade.640.JPG

Love my Jade!​

Breaking these knots in takes some serious doing, but it's worth it. Great knot. Great brush.

(Yes, I like the medallion. Sorry the ivory brush doesn't have one.)

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1691245445008.png

Just used my ivory for the first time today.

Tell us more about it, please.

Mine is on the way so I'm curious. My guess is I'm going to maybe use the new brush once or twice before deciding on a long off-line break in process. The Jade taught me something.

Once fully broken in, the Jade became a fabulous brush. That's not to say it wasn't quite good from the beginning, but I prefer the softness of a fully broken in boar. Some of my Omegas (the Jade, the Mighty Midget, and the Proraso Pro) and all of my unbleached Zeniths had to be well broken in for me to truly enjoy them. I'm assuming the new Ivory will follow suit, but I could be wrong.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1697526

Tell us more about it, please.

Mine is on the way so I'm curious. My guess is I'm going to maybe use the new brush once or twice before deciding on a long off-line break in process. The Jade taught me something.

Once fully broken in, the Jade became a fabulous brush. That's not to say it wasn't quite good from the beginning, but I prefer the softness of a fully broken in boar. Some of my Omegas (the Jade, the Mighty Midget, and the Proraso Pro) and all of my unbleached Zeniths had to be well broken in for me to truly enjoy them. I'm assuming the new Ivory will follow suit, but I could be wrong.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Happy shaves,

Jim

This one is really nice right out of the box. It seems pretty much identical to my Jade that I've had for over a year. At least for the one I received, no break-in needed to enjoy using it. Like you mentioned, my Proraso Pro and Mixed Midget got noticeably better the more I used them, but not sure how much better the Ivory could actually get since it already feels like a well broken-in Boar. Also, my Ivory had no noticeable Boar smell, so not sure what Omega does to eliminate that.

Is it the same as the Jade?

Yes, the example I received performs just like the Jade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This one is really nice right out of the box. It seems pretty much identical to my Jade that I've had for over a year. At least for the one I received, no break-in needed to enjoy using it. Like you mentioned, my Proraso Pro and Mixed Midget got noticeably better the more I used them, but not sure how much better the Ivory could actually get since it already feels like a well broken-in Boar. Also, my Ivory had no noticeable Boar smell, so not sure what Omega does to eliminate that.

Thanks so much.

This should be a very interesting brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nice. I really like my Jade. May have to pick up the ivory as well. Thanks.

Thanks so much.

This should be a very interesting brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nice. I really like my Jade. May have to pick up the ivory as well. Thanks.

Wanted to follow up with an update after I gave the brushes (i.e. the Ivory and Jade) another look with a more critical eye. After the Ivory dried yesterday, I did notice that the knot is not quite as densely packed as my Jade and did not seem to have quite as much backbone. I decided to load them both up for todays shave so that I could do a side-by-side comparison. While I still think they seem very similar, the Jade does have a little more backbone. I know some people like @dmshaver have received Jade brushes in the past that were less dense, so maybe there is some normal variation from brush to brush or they're just not made as dense anymore. Whatever the case, but both are very enjoyable to use and I probably wouldn't notice the difference unless I was using them within a few days of each other and paying close attention.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wanted to follow up with an update after I gave the brushes (i.e. the Ivory and Jade) another look with a more critical eye. After the Ivory dried yesterday, I did notice that the knot is not quite as densely packed as my Jade and did not seem to have quite as much backbone. I decided to load them both up for todays shave so that I could do a side-by-side comparison. While I still think they seem very similar, the Jade does have a little more backbone. I know some people like @dmshaver have received Jade brushes in the past that were less dense, so maybe there is some normal variation from brush to brush or they're just not made as dense anymore. Whatever the case, but both are very enjoyable to use and I probably wouldn't notice the difference unless I was using them within a few days of each other and paying close attention.

Nicely done.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom