What's new

Flattop Haircut

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Haven’t worn a flattop in years. But yeah, you can start with medium length hair. I think the hard part is going to be finding a barber that can do a flattop. I always had trouble.

First, that's a great way to support the person with cancer. Second, best of luck to the person going through the treatment. Now to answer your question... if you mean is it possible to get a flattop if you have fine, straight hair, I would say yes. Having straight hair is an advantage if you sport a flattop and if it's fine, it just means you'll see more of your scalp. If you decide to go back to the flattop after supporting your cause, you might want a horseshoe flattop because there's minimal hair left with that style flattop. Since your plan right now is to shave everything off, I'd ask your barber to give you a flattop first. Realize however, barbers who are proficient at giving flattops put a lot of work into the haircut. Although there would be no reason to get it perfect in your current situation, the barber might not be thrilled to spend the time on the flattop only to then turn around and shave everything off, other than it's for a worthwhile cause. One other option is to have the barber give you a flattop and then if you have a clippers, finish the job on your own. Just a thought. Good luck! Who knows, you might like the flattop. Then after growing out your hair again, you might want to continue sporting a one. That's what happened to me. Again, best of luck!

Thank you very much, It will definetly be a flattop first. I'll be taking in a photo of my father in the 50's and ask make it like that.
The big C diagnosis is not certain yet, but a brain tumor is certain. This is close to home.

Thank you very much, It will definetly be a flattop first. I'll be taking in a photo of my father in the 50's and ask make it like that.
The big C diagnosis is not certain yet, but a brain tumor is certain. This is close to home.

Again, wish the one going through this all the best.

BTW, cool idea regarding taking in a pic of your dad.

I've been sporting a flat top for several years now and I try to get my hair cut at least once every other week. I like it short on the sides, 0 on the clippers, and wide on the top which is a little more rounded than completely flat on the edge. The top is very flat though.

As a comparison from the ages of say 13 to almost 50 I had hair that at most times was waist length... Every couple years I would cut the ponytail off only to grow it back but being a musician a change came about and it just had to go one day completely. I am much happier today for it...

I've been sporting a flat top for several years now and I try to get my hair cut at least once every other week. I like it short on the sides, 0 on the clippers, and wide on the top which is a little more rounded than completely flat on the edge. The top is very flat though.

As a comparison from the ages of say 13 to almost 50 I had hair that at most times was waist length... Every couple years I would cut the ponytail off only to grow it back but being a musician a change came about and it just had to go one day completely. I am much happier today for it...

Glad to hear you're sporting a flattop as well! Wish there were more of us. Sounds like yours is shorter than mine. I might go shorter this summer. Wow, you made a drastic change! I thought when I got my first flattop it was a big change. Yours was much more drastic. Sounds like you are pleased with your decision, as am I.

I go to a second generation barber who does a fantastic flat top. I originally went to his father(Armando) but the son(Carlo) is actually better and Armando retired. People scoff when I say its hard to find someone who can cut a good flat top but its true. Once you get a bad flat top you know....and run if a barber pulls out the pick with the level in it.

Armando was originally trained in Italy. There is also an Eastern European woman in the shop that does a great flat top if Carlo isn't available. All the other barbers there are OK...not horrible but not great either. I'm not sure about forum rules but if anyone is the Philly burbs area is interested in checking it out PM me and I'll be happy to point you to them.

Top Bottom