What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

I picked up an R41 this week. The instructions included some great advice and even better info-graphics.

$2016-06-10 00.53.07.jpg

After two ruff n tumble shaves, I am beginning to think the R41 is similar to the VEG. One has to be chosen...and I may not be one of those few.

After two ruff n tumble shaves, I am beginning to think the R41 is similar to the VEG. One has to be chosen...and I may not be one of those few.

The beast is not very forgiving, that is true. Are you using a shallow or steep angle? Have you tried both? Have you tried a different blade? Are you focusing on really light pressure?

If you can answer yes, then you may need to focus on less aggressive razord.

The beast is not very forgiving, that is true. Are you using a shallow or steep angle? Have you tried both? Have you tried a different blade? Are you focusing on really light pressure?

If you can answer yes, then you may need to focus on less aggressive razord.
I start very shallow, resting the head of the razor against my skin then bringing the angle down so that the blade is making contact, ending up with something like the shallow angle image on right:

proxy.php

I first used the included M. blade - didn't care for it. Switched over to a Feather. Applying the lightest pressure.

I start very shallow, resting the head of the razor against my skin then bringing the angle down so that the blade is making contact, ending up with something like the shallow angle image on right:

proxy.php

I first used the included M. blade - didn't care for it. Switched over to a Feather. Applying the lightest pressure.

Do you have a blade other than a feather to try? It's also not known for being forgiving. I recommend Astra on any new razor to you as a starting place. I've never found a razor that Astras won't give me a good shave with. I use feathers with the R41, but they don't work for everyone.

Try the steep angle too. Start with the razor perpendicular to you face then slightly decrease the angle from 90 until you hear whiskers being but. (It's similar to the shallow method but starting from 90 and going down instead of starting from 0 and going up.

Do you have a blade other than a feather to try? It's also not known for being forgiving. I recommend Astra on any new razor to you as a starting place. I've never found a razor that Astras won't give me a good shave with. I use feathers with the R41, but they don't work for everyone.

Try the steep angle too. Start with the razor perpendicular to you face then slightly decrease the angle from 90 until you hear whiskers being but. (It's similar to the shallow method but starting from 90 and going down instead of starting from 0 and going up.
Good advice, thanks. I'll have another go with the R41.

Good advice, thanks. I'll have another go with the R41.

Lastly - if it's not working for you, don't be shy about setting it aside. The R41 is not for everyone. Shaving is about what works best for you and your face. I'm all for giving it a fair shot, but know when it's time to move on. Some will set the razor aside for several months, or you can just sell it (they move quickly on the BST)

Quick question for the zookeepers: how's the blade alignment? I've had my eye on the R41 but I won't bother if I have to fiddle with it to get the blade centered.

Have you tried it with a voskhod? Very easy to use combo and works quite well. I feel like I'm cheating with this combination. If you don't have any voskhods, I'd be happy to send you a couple if you are in the US...
Thanks for the tip. I have an unopened box of 5 Voskhod blades. I'll have to give them a shot (along with the Astra that [MENTION=86819]tclobaugh[/MENTION] recommended).

Took your advice and loaded an Astra Superior Premium Platinum in the R41. It made a huge difference - no tugging or issues. The Astra, along with light pressure, delivered a pretty nice shave. I only did two passes, and was happy that I avoided any real irritation. On my next blade change, I will try a Voskhod, per [MENTION=102039]Jaidmaster[/MENTION] recommendation.

Top Bottom