What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

Took your advice and loaded an Astra Superior Premium Platinum in the R41. It made a huge difference - no tugging or issues. The Astra, along with light pressure, delivered a pretty nice shave. I only did two passes, and was happy that I avoided any real irritation. On my next blade change, I will try a Voskhod, per [MENTION=102039]Jaidmaster[/MENTION] recommendation.

Glad it worked out for you. I find blade changes can sometimes really alter a razor and the R41 seems to be sensitive to this.

Took your advice and loaded an Astra Superior Premium Platinum in the R41. It made a huge difference - no tugging or issues. The Astra, along with light pressure, delivered a pretty nice shave. I only did two passes, and was happy that I avoided any real irritation. On my next blade change, I will try a Voskhod, per @Jaidmaster recommendation.
Awesome! Glad to hear you are making progress with a different blade. Once you get the hang of it, you can go back and try some others. I find the R41-13 to easily handle a wide variety of blades, unlike some razors which can be more picky.
Keep up the good work!

Once the Muhle is tamed I honestly don't think there is a more efficient DE on the market.

I've heard the ATT razors with the H plates are in the area (maybe even more). S plates possible as well. I've not been fortunate to make that comparison, but someday...

May I just say: "R41!" (2013) ?!
It's been a while since I shaved with it, because I've been trying out a variety of other razors for the past six months. Today, I Noxema'd, hot shower, Vicco Turmeric Shaving Creme and a Wilkinson Sword blade. 15 minutes later, I wonder why I shave with anything else. BBS in two passes (rare), from a four day beard, zero irritation (unheardof) and Rhino skin balm. While I applied the alum, witch hazel, lavender, and rose waters I thought "Why am I doing this? No need.". My skin is in the same shape as it was before I shaved, no tightness, no irritation, nothin'. Ghost shave.
I had, until the 15th, been shaving twice daily, and although my face has really toughed up, my last shave was pretty disastrous (Gillette British-made bakelite handled Tech, with GSB) with the horrible re-growth stubble I almost always get with GSB, so I allowed some time to recover.
I only pulled out The Beast because I was in a hurry, and was starting to look like a rail ridin' yeg.
The sad thing is that I'll have to go back to other razors for the rest of June. Pouts. But, at least, now I remember why I made the R41 my daily razor.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
May I just say: "R41!" (2013) ?!
It's been a while since I shaved with it, because I've been trying out a variety of other razors for the past six months. Today, I Noxema'd, hot shower, Vicco Turmeric Shaving Creme and a Wilkinson Sword blade. 15 minutes later, I wonder why I shave with anything else. BBS in two passes (rare), from a four day beard, zero irritation (unheardof) and Rhino skin balm. While I applied the alum, witch hazel, lavender, and rose waters I thought "Why am I doing this? No need.". My skin is in the same shape as it was before I shaved, no tightness, no irritation, nothin'. Ghost shave.
I had, until the 15th, been shaving twice daily, and although my face has really toughed up, my last shave was pretty disastrous (Gillette British-made bakelite handled Tech, with GSB) with the horrible re-growth stubble I almost always get with GSB, so I allowed some time to recover.
I only pulled out The Beast because I was in a hurry, and was starting to look like a rail ridin' yeg.
The sad thing is that I'll have to go back to other razors for the rest of June. Pouts. But, at least, now I remember why I made the R41 my daily razor.

Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely getting an r41 as my next purchase. I'm getting it mostly just to have but I'm hearing a lot of wonderful things about the r41 2013. It is a beautiful looking razor and am encouraged that many have had it or consider it as their daily driver.

Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely getting an r41 as my next purchase. I'm getting it mostly just to have but I'm hearing a lot of wonderful things about the r41 2013. It is a beautiful looking razor and am encouraged that many have had it or consider it as their daily driver.

+1 Wham-Bam-Thanyou-Muhle :)

Do you have a blade other than a feather to try? It's also not known for being forgiving. I recommend Astra on any new razor to you as a starting place. I've never found a razor that Astras won't give me a good shave with. I use feathers with the R41, but they don't work for everyone.

Try the steep angle too. Start with the razor perpendicular to you face then slightly decrease the angle from 90 until you hear whiskers being but. (It's similar to the shallow method but starting from 90 and going down instead of starting from 0 and going up.

Yes I agree on the Astra Blade. I found this to be so with ATT. Went to Astra from Feather and, wow, so smooth.
proxy.php
proxy.php

I've always found it pretty forgiving, and pretty smooth (I realise how that might sound), as long as I take the extra five minutes to concentrate that little bit harder. I much prefer razors where I can feel the blade (R41, Braveheart, Parker 97R). That gives me a far better "shock-absorb" feel/touch/response. Out of those three, the R41 is by far the most smooth - for me.
As blades go: 1) Wilkinson Sword 2) Voskhod 3) Astra 4) Feather 5) (but #4 is more a macho thing than anything else). I'm a big fan of Teflon coated blades, they seem to work for me in just about any razor. The reviews on UK Amazon seem to show a prevalence of Derby fans with R41s, which I don't like the sound of at all.

I got mine for a song, though in Britain it's not a very expensive razor. I'm not sure about the US. Out of all my DE razors, it's definitely the smoothest, which I didn't expect. I bought it just to have as well, but once I tried it, I couldn't put it down.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I got mine for a song, though in Britain it's not a very expensive razor. I'm not sure about the US. Out of all my DE razors, it's definitely the smoothest, which I didn't expect. I bought it just to have as well, but once I tried it, I couldn't put it down.

The best price I have found in the US is on the Muhle USA web site going for about $56.00 US. Maybe not a song and dance but not bad comparatively on this side of the pond. :001_smile I checked out the Braveheart on a UK web site and the price is not bad for a stainless. One step at a time though. When I get the r41 I will probably pair it with an Astra sp to start. My two favorite blades are Bolzano and Nacets. I'm pretty sure they would work fine in almost anything. Thanks for responding and your input.

Last edited:
I usually run an alum bloc over my face (after a cold rinse) following an R41 shave. Some days the alum block feels like:

proxy.php

and then other days (like today), the bloc feels like:

proxy.php

I'm baffled. My technique cannot change that drastically from one shave to the next...at least I don't think so. :001_huh:

Could be the soap not protecting as well. Could be the blade has gotten dull. Could be that something is different with your face (really sweaty, dirty, or maybe clean)

Lots of variables other than the razor and your technique.

This morning I used my R41 (2013) for the first time since September 2015. I know, shame on me, right? I've been mainly using the Rockwell 6S razor since I bought it at the beginning of the year. But I decided to pull the trusty old R41 back into rotation today and wow, was that a treat. Great shave using one of the blades that came with the Rockwell razor which is their branded Swedish steel blade. It had eleven shaves on it and I put the twelfth to work with the R41, some Musgo Real Oak Moss cream, and a steep angle.

Effortless shave, great post-shave feel, and no irritation. I love my R41 so I'm putting it back into daily use.

So now how long has it been since the Spitfire has been available? What 2014?
What is the latest update on the Batta Testing realizing fulfilment? A metallic version?
Absolutely love my "Hurricane". Maybe it's just as well for a inexpensive cap to be readily available.
Just Saying.

Gentlemen, the 2013 R41 was my second DE (34C was 1st). I even sport a small half-moon scar due to a careless hook with the BEAST. I have the razor in my rotation. I’m joining the B*E*A*S*T*!

Top Bottom