What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

I own a 2011 and 2013 R41 with standard and grande handles. They've been my go-to razors since I acquired them new when they were each released.

They give me an efficient and effective shave. I've just started mixing up blades again to see if I can further refine the results and get a more consistent shave. Over the last year or so have been using Ladas, just popped in a Feather for the first time in a year plus and it was excellent.

However, my R41's have a bit of competition from a Feather Artist Club SS I acquired in trade last week :)

just got my R41, 2 shaves in,
first with a Derby, agressive razor-dull blade makes sense right, wrong, pulled like hell, no irritation or blood and a pretty close shave, but not a comfortable one
second shave put in a new Feather, much smoother, almost no pulling, no irritation, 1 tiny blood spot clold water closed up. closest shave I ever had, beyond BBS, all the way to glass smooth.

what blades do most find work best in the Beast?

So...I found a 2011 R-41 for a price, less than I expected. In great shape too. Now in my rotation.
It astounds me that this only 6 years since it appears on the market.
Thanks Trent.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

just got my R41, 2 shaves in,
first with a Derby, agressive razor-dull blade makes sense right, wrong, pulled like hell, no irritation or blood and a pretty close shave, but not a comfortable one
second shave put in a new Feather, much smoother, almost no pulling, no irritation, 1 tiny blood spot clold water closed up. closest shave I ever had, beyond BBS, all the way to glass smooth.

what blades do most find work best in the Beast?

I find the R41 to be more picky about blades than other razors. I'd suggest astra or feather. I don't know why some blades don't do as well. Maybe it's due to the steep angle I use with the beast

And I don't buy into the aggressive razor means use a duller blade theory. It makes no sense to me. A sharper blade should always cut better regardless on angle or gap. Less sharp means more pulling - no thanks. I have tough whiskers so I notice quickly when a blade isn't sharp enough.

I have used feathers in every razor I have tried and they work great in all of them. I've yet to find a blade that works better regardless of the razor.

I find the R41 to be more picky about blades than other razors. I'd suggest astra or feather. I don't know why some blades don't do as well. Maybe it's due to the steep angle I use with the beast

And I don't buy into the aggressive razor means use a duller blade theory. It makes no sense to me. A sharper blade should always cut better regardless on angle or gap. Less sharp means more pulling - no thanks. I have tough whiskers so I notice quickly when a blade isn't sharp enough.

I have used feathers in every razor I have tried and they work great in all of them. I've yet to find a blade that works better regardless of the razor.
coincidently expect a tuck of Astra's any day, will try one as soon as they come. Any other sharp blades that work, have heard Personna comfort coated are sharp? Kai?

How come nobody shouts this from the roof tops.....7 shaves in a row with the 2013 R 41, most with a Feather blade, lathering with MWF, TOBS, Cremo, Kiss MY Face, Trader Joe's. Doesn't matter the closest, least irritating shaves ever. Each morning I expect to feel enough irritation to pick up the EJ 89 or Timeless or Rockwell with a Derby, but each morning the last seven days my skin feels no irritation, just like it felt all the day before. I know YMMV, but it seems a lot of R 41 users get their most irritation free shaves with this razor. yet it has a reputation as a meat grinder. just not so.

How come nobody shouts this from the roof tops.....7 shaves in a row with the 2013 R 41, most with a Feather blade, lathering with MWF, TOBS, Cremo, Kiss MY Face, Trader Joe's. Doesn't matter the closest, least irritating shaves ever. Each morning I expect to feel enough irritation to pick up the EJ 89 or Timeless or Rockwell with a Derby, but each morning the last seven days my skin feels no irritation, just like it felt all the day before. I know YMMV, but it seems a lot of R 41 users get their most irritation free shaves with this razor. yet it has a reputation as a meat grinder. just not so.

I agree.

A better reputation would be that it is rather unforgiving. If your technique is solid and you don't rush your shaves you should have no issues with the R41.

But when you are off, it bites harder than most razors.

Gald you agree. Been DE shaving 3 years, have probably gotten enough technique to have a blood free shave with the R41. But if this was my first DE razor, I would either have learned technique very, very quickly, be a 'cartridge only' shaver, or have bled to death. Still based on what I have read, this razor does not get the credit I think it deserves for not just agressive, effcient and close but irritation free shaving. So I thought I would post my mileage, and of course YMMV

after spending a time wandering around the world of super efficient/aggressive razors - Ikon Tech, Futur, Charcoal Level 3, timeless Bronze ,78 OC, I shaved this morning again with my 2014 R41. With a Kai in it, so smooth, close BBS, irritation free. Definitely not the most efficient or the most blade feel, but a really good shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-7-10_12-40-42-png.896757

Happy shaves,

Jim
FOAM'R.41

Well I am in! 2013 R41 owner here and it was my second DE razor after the EJ89. Fell in love with it and still a favorite in the rotation!

Last edited:
I love my R41:001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:
It didn't hurt me one time after feeding using it with some different blades.
For me it's a pet.
Can i be a Zookeeper too?:001_wub:

I love my R41:001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:
It didn't hurt me one time after feeding using it with some different blades.
For me it's a pet.
Can i be a Zookeeper too?:001_wub:
your post reminded me I haven't used my 2014 R41 in months, this morning I got it out, put in an Astra SP, used a neutral angle, got beautiful BBS, no blood, a bit of irritation but closest shave I have had since the last time I used my R41! It is a great razor, not a beast, it just demands respect.

Sorry to hear about your irritations, Joncr.
I hope they are just minor, maybe gone after a good splash with AS or a balm.
I also love that blade, the Astra SP.
For me, a steep angle whithout any pressure works best.

Karl

Sorry to hear about your irritations, Joncr.
I hope they are just minor, maybe gone after a good splash with AS or a balm.
I also love that blade, the Astra SP.
For me, a steep angle whithout any pressure works best.

Karl
thanks, not significant irritation, but in the past could never get more than 5 daily shaves in a row without needing to back off. For me it is a great occasional razor, but not a daily driver.

Pound for pound one of the best razors I own. Taken to using it with an iKon 85mm handle. Extra weight is perfect.

Top Bottom