What's new

Zenith Manchurian 2 Band Badger

LOL - you are certainly correct about that Uncas.
Finally got around to using my new Zenith Copper 2 Band and it has some serious backbone - yet soft feel with a hint of scritch - in a good way. I do believe, this will ultimately be a very good face latherer for me.
Can't imagine anyone who likes firm, dense backbone not liking these brushes.

It did seem a little thirsty and demanding of more soap on the maiden voyage (treated it to a Santal Auster initiation :001_smile ), so I am going to need to work it a few times to get the drill down correctly.

All things considered - Happy camper here.

Ditto @facetime.

I was using Declaration Grooming Trismegistus, and I also seemed to need a lot of water. However in my case, I overshot the sweet spot and had to add more soap. So whether it was me or the brush, I too need to get the drill down. Also, the handle is beautiful, but it is a bit larger than I would prefer. I own the Zenith aluminum handle Pro Big Boar with the B1 knot - with what looks like the same size handle - and the aluminum handle Boar works great for me. I think the difference is that the Manchurian is designed with stiffer backbone to optimize face lathering, and so the large size handle is harder for me to work with. That said, the copper Manchurian is a great brush, and I too am still a happy camper at this point. I've just been spoiled lately by another brush, which bring me to ...

On a slight tangent, it happens that the Manchurian beauty showed up on my doorstep within a few days of a custom Shavemac that spent 21 days en route as a guest of US customs. I compared the two in this thread, where I explained how very much the handles of the Zenith and Shavemac affected my reactions to them (in post #10).

Can you please post some info on the height of the handles, especially the 506 and 505 model of these beauties?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.480..jpg

I now have two of the Zenith Manchurians. The olivewood is 27.5mm. The copper, 28mm. I like both but would keep the copper's knot and the olivewood's handle if that were possible which it is not. So, I'll say the copper is my favorite brush. Period.

No doubt about it.

Down the road I'll find another 28mm knot in a different handle. Zenith makes and sells a couple of other handles for this knot. One or two have been mentioned in this thread.

2-15-19.Boots.Sharp.GD.Manchurian.640.KitJPG.JPG

Of all my brushes, the Zenith copper handled Manchurian is the one I like the very best. It's getting a whole lot of use these days.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, you can have any handle with any knot from Pennellificio Pandolfo directly. Send Mrs. Antonella Pandolfo an email at [email protected].

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

I'm not fixing to buy a brush even if one I fancy becomes available. I'm managing to get by with my meager brush collection. Doesn't stop my drooling though. Also, I've not entirely decided on which handle I want next. I know I want the 28 mm knot. Although I love my 27.5 mm brush, I can tell the 28 mm knot is more to my liking; it's denser or thicker or scrubbier or something. My next Zenith Manchurian will be a 28 mm knot unless I change my mind.

proxy.php

This is one I might like. I have a boar which is I believe in the same handle (although I've not checked the model numbers to be 100% sure). This one has a 28 mm knot. Other colors are available.

According to the post you linked Zenith only ships within Italy. I'll look at the Zenith website, etc.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Last edited:
@Chan Eil Whiskers I think its the exact same knot just set lower to be scrubby and with less splay. Lower setting makes it measure bigger at base because of taper. These are probably 26mm knots set to measure at base 27mm, 27.5mm or 28mm depending on loft and handle, higher to lower loft respectively.

View attachment 953169

I now have two of the Zenith Manchurians. The olivewood is 27.5mm. The copper, 28mm. I like both but would keep the copper's knot and the olivewood's handle if that were possible which it is not. So, I'll say the copper is my favorite brush. Period.

No doubt about it.

Down the road I'll find another 28mm knot in a different handle. Zenith makes and sells a couple of other handles for this knot. One or two have been mentioned in this thread.

View attachment 953172

Of all my brushes, the Zenith copper handled Manchurian is the one I like the very best. It's getting a whole lot of use these days.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, with your great advice, I got this one. By far, my favorite badger brush. Lately I’ve been bitten by the synthetics bug though. Just so easy to quickly build a perfect lather with them without fuss or much room for error. Great on those lazy or busy days.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers
Same knot, same handle, different loft.
Great illustrations.

I'm not sure that's how the manufacturer does it, but it's a possibility. I knew what you were talking about as soon as you mentioned it, but these illustrations are good.

What besides conjecture makes you think this is actually how manufacturers make the brushes and determine the loft and knot size?

Let me show you another difference difference.

Zeniths.2.Wood.640.4-18.JPG

These two Zenith brushes have the exact same handle, but the knots in the two are not the same, at least they don't measure the same. The difference is in the nickel ring. By removing the ring the diameter of the hole changes.

Zenith has many brushes like this with the same handle except for the ring. I've spent enough time on the eBay vendor's page reading his notes and comments on the various brushes he sells to learn that they're adding or removing the nickel ring to modify the space for the knot.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your assertion. I don't know much at all about how brushes are made. I'm just saying I'm not sure you're right nor am I sure there isn't more to it.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.480..jpg

Let's say you're right. If so, maybe the only difference in these two brushes is the depth of the setting of the knot. Maybe the knots are exactly the same. Let's say they are. They still don't perform in an identical fashion, and that's what matters to me.

Again, both are great brushes. I like the copper's knot a bit more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, with your great advice, I got this one. By far, my favorite badger brush. Lately I’ve been bitten by the synthetics bug though. Just so easy to quickly build a perfect lather with them without fuss or much room for error. Great on those lazy or busy days.

Which one did you get?

I don't understand the love for synthetics, but I might be in the minority.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using a synthetic brush. They're considerable less expensive on average, they dry very rapidly, they look pretty good. They must function well enough or guys wouldn't use them. I know they can be soft.

Still, they just don't get it for me. Maybe I've just not tried the right synthetic, but I can't see myself liking them (I've tried a few) enough to buy another one. Plus, I love my pigs and badgers.

Happy shaves,

Jim

What besides conjecture makes you think this is actually how manufacturers make the brushes and determine the loft and knot size?

I don't have the slightest clue how they do it. It's just my theory. Difference of half a mm or a single mm in diameter (not even radius) makes me think it's just loft setting. Different knot would jump in min of 2mm progression.

I've also noticed the decorative rings change the look of the knot on pics. Perhaps the ring makes an otherwise 27mm base to become 27.5mm. Another small variable, but I don't think it changes the feel and functionality of the brush as much as 5+mm loft setting (scrubby vs floppy).

Are brush nerds BOSC membership material? :confused:

Which one did you get?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using a synthetic brush. They're considerable less expensive on average, they dry very rapidly, they look pretty good. They must function well enough or guys wouldn't use them. I know they can be soft.

Still, they just don't get it for me. Maybe I've just not tried the right synthetic, but I can't see myself liking them (I've tried a few) enough to buy another one. Plus, I love my pigs and badgers.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Sorry, the copper handle 2 band.

The Yaqi tuxedos are great, just go with a minimum 28mm knot. I just also picked up the Razorock plissoft beehive for $15. Just an unbelievable brush at that price.

Enjoy!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sorry, the copper handle 2 band.

The Yaqi tuxedos are great, just go with a minimum 28mm knot. I just also picked up the Razorock plissoft beehive for $15. Just an unbelievable brush at that price.

Enjoy!

Thanks. That copper Manchurian improves as you use it. At least mine has.

I've heard great things about the Yaqi synthetics. I have a couple of their good two bands. I have tried RR synthetics, too. Still have one. Gave one away but only because it was too heavy in weight for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Which one did you get?

Happy shaves,

Jim
I share your disdain for the synthetics, I have a few Muhles that I use occasionally, but I always wish I was using something else. Yes they work, yes they dry, then I put them away again and go back to what I prefer.

I love fur and simply can't go past the impression that they are re-purposed makeup brushes. Everything about synthetics 'gen 2' is wrong to me. The older ones that imitated boar bristles not as much, just felt a bit cheap but did great if you used them properly (no mushing, pumping, twisting and swirling).

I wonder how old barbers would react seeing men vigorously swirling super soft makeup brushes on their faces thinking they are lifting day old stubble hair up and exfoliating skin. :)

I love fur and simply can't go past the impression that they are re-purposed makeup brushes. Everything about synthetics 'gen 2' is wrong to me. The older ones that imitated boar bristles not as much, just felt a bit cheap but did great if you used them properly (no mushing, pumping, twisting and swirling).

I wonder how old barbers would react seeing men vigorously swirling super soft makeup brushes on their faces thinking they are lifting day old stubble hair up and exfoliating skin. :)
:001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

Don't get me wrong. If you want to lather up Caties Bubbles with your Angel Hair synth knot in purple-blue glitter resin handle and do a straight razor shave while listening to some Katy Perry in your solar powered bathroom, hey more power to ya. These are gen 2 times.

Top Bottom