What's new

Revenge of the Badger

View attachment 1820356

Well stated. I sent an email to Anna expressing my disappointment regarding this knot. So far it's been crickets, but it is Good Friday so I will give some grace. If I don't hear back Monday, then the silence will be speaking volumes.
Does the glue bump create a performance issue like too much backbone where the bump is thickest?

I am sorry you had a bad experience. Good luck with customer support.

Its not creating excessive backbone, but the glue is giving backbone in lieu of the density that provides backbone in the *actual* Simpsons knots. This isn't a chubby 2 beyond the handle - it's a typical Chinese knot available to any artisan handle maker. This one just happens to be set into a Chubby handle, and came with a Chubby premium.

It might be an okey brush, if it weren't marketed and sold as being hand tied by Simpsons craftswomen, and had the performance and characteristics of a true Simpsons-made Chubby 2. The SOC brush in my comparison picture is much more dense, with more backbone.

Ok. If that's the case it's not acceptable to me. There shouldn't be glue that far up the knot. When i took the knot out of my brush i didn't measure the depth of the bore, but if i recall it's deeper than 1/2". You might be hitting the glue plug at that depth- which is what i'd expect.
I have a Duke 2 Best with a 5mm glue bump. I have a second Duke 2 Best with a glue bump between 0-1mm. The 5mm glue bump brush has noticeably more back bone. I believe both of these knots were tied by Simpson craftswomen and glued by same.

Here is the email I sent to Anna a week ago - which was completely ignored.

Hi Anna,

The LE Chubby 2 that I ordered arrived yesterday, and I’ve got to be honest - I’m not completely happy with the brush right now. The brush was filthy when I unboxed it, which was unexpected, I’ve got several badger brushes in various grades, so I know what to expect, but none that were this filthy. I posted pictures on badger and blade if you want to take a look (link below).

But through the course of cleaning it, I started realizing that it wasn’t as dense as a typical chubby 2 knot, and the shape is a bulb - again, not the typical Simpsons badger knot. After some discussion and comparing some pictures of other chubby2s, I’m now convinced that what I received was a dirty, Chinese-sourced knot. Not at all the hand-tied knot, artfully assembled by craftswomen on the Isle of Man like I was led to believe by every word of Simpsons marketing.

This might be a fine knot, but in no reality is it worth, nor worthy of the Simpsons name and premium. The same knot is readily sourced from countless other places for a fraction of the cost.

To say I’m disappointed would be an understatement. I’m torn on returning the brush or not. I bought it because I love the handle. If you recall I even emailed asking about the hair grades before purchasing (would’ve been a great time to disclose that two bands are outsourced Chinese knots, but i digress) Two band wasn’t my first choice but I accepted it because it’s what the handle had in it. I’ve got other silvertip brushes, so I knew I’d be happy with the texture as long as it had all the qualities that a Simpsons Chubby2 is known for, Unfortunately, I can’t help but feel misled, because this knot doesn’t have those qualities.

I do still love the handle. I just wish I had an actual Simpsons brush, and not a common Chinese knot on a pretty Simpsons handle. Putting these sorts of things out into circulation seriously undermine your brand.

Any luck with the legendary customer support?
Not. A. Word.

Legendary (deafening) silence. Masters of ignoring the problem.

I guess we have our answer - it’s a Chinese knot and they’d prefer not to discuss that.

Here is the email I sent to Anna a week ago - which was completely ignored.

Hi Anna,

The LE Chubby 2 that I ordered arrived yesterday, and I’ve got to be honest - I’m not completely happy with the brush right now. The brush was filthy when I unboxed it, which was unexpected, I’ve got several badger brushes in various grades, so I know what to expect, but none that were this filthy. I posted pictures on badger and blade if you want to take a look (link below).

But through the course of cleaning it, I started realizing that it wasn’t as dense as a typical chubby 2 knot, and the shape is a bulb - again, not the typical Simpsons badger knot. After some discussion and comparing some pictures of other chubby2s, I’m now convinced that what I received was a dirty, Chinese-sourced knot. Not at all the hand-tied knot, artfully assembled by craftswomen on the Isle of Man like I was led to believe by every word of Simpsons marketing.

This might be a fine knot, but in no reality is it worth, nor worthy of the Simpsons name and premium. The same knot is readily sourced from countless other places for a fraction of the cost.

To say I’m disappointed would be an understatement. I’m torn on returning the brush or not. I bought it because I love the handle. If you recall I even emailed asking about the hair grades before purchasing (would’ve been a great time to disclose that two bands are outsourced Chinese knots, but i digress) Two band wasn’t my first choice but I accepted it because it’s what the handle had in it. I’ve got other silvertip brushes, so I knew I’d be happy with the texture as long as it had all the qualities that a Simpsons Chubby2 is known for, Unfortunately, I can’t help but feel misled, because this knot doesn’t have those qualities.

I do still love the handle. I just wish I had an actual Simpsons brush, and not a common Chinese knot on a pretty Simpsons handle. Putting these sorts of things out into circulation seriously undermine your brand.
A little patience may go a long way, considering you initiated your correspondence smack in the middle Easter season, which is commonly observed as a 2-week holiday period.

Top Bottom