What's new

Your rarest razor

1498259294222-764746398.jpg

I got this as a gift from my wife in 2014. I think it's a Haryali razor. It's pretty mild.

Here's my rarest. A little-bitty Gnat (Beside my Fatboy for size comparison)
View attachment 662408
I've been outbid for a Gnat 2 times in 2 years. I don't see them very often. Need one so if you start downsizing here I am.

My rarest? I guess these 2 are good candidates not sure which is the rarer though: Green leather cased 1929 Gillette England 4-Piece Traveler I lucked out on over a year ago. Didn't realize the color was special until Achim pointed it out as being one of the rarest he had seen.

And a prototype? Gillette Fatboy Executive with no markings or stamps on the base plate except for a tiny etched number.

This one still has me scratching my head. Gillette won't disclose any info regarding processes or methods so I can't find anything out specific about the number. Would love to know what exactly these were for and what was supposed to happen to them after that. I assume they were to be handed back in for disposal. Patiently waiting for someone else here to discover one like it or fill in the blanks in the mystery.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Probably this one. Just cause I think it's super cool the box is addressed. And there's one in the Smithsonian.

IMG_4718.JPG
IMG_4721.JPG

timwcic

"Look what I found"
My Bottom Dial and a Ziglar Open Comb Slant. Before going Straight Razor, the Ziglar was in my top five DE. Still take it out a few times a year. The Gillette is special occasion use only.

IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG

Watt's stainless "Service" razor. Very unique.

Cheers
John

View attachment 798989 View attachment 798990

The Watts Service is unique and one of the earliest stainless steel razors made so far as I know. IMO too bad that it takes a proprietary blade as I prefer razors that are still usable with readily available or modifiable blades. Why I find the thread on what current blades can be used with the old SE razors to be of major interest. I have used a Gem Zinn with a Schick injector blade and a Eagle Deluxe with a modified Gem blade, both with good results. IMO too many of the old proprietary blade razors are now nothing more than museum or collection display pieces.

One reason I have so many of the old wedge blade lather catcher razors, European and American, is that many can be used with current Gem blades.

Last edited:
A neat thread but too many of the old posts no longer have their associated photos. I presume due to photo hosting sites disappearing in many instances, A total pain as it makes the posts pretty useless.

Not sure how rare they are as I have accumulated four of them. The razor is a stainless steel version of the CV Heljestrand lather catcher wedge blade razor, the last version. I have brass versions with gold, silver and chrome plating as well as the stainless steel ones. The stainless ones react slightly but noticeably to a strong magnet while the brass versions do not. All the brass razors have two piece handles while the stainless razors all have one piece handles. Most of the brass ones have a Kindal stamp on the head but none of the stainless ones do. Below are pictures of my stainless steel set with the auto-stropper and strop.

I have not been able to find any information regarding these stainless steel CV Heljestrand razors at all other that they were one of the first companies to make stainless steel straight razors. Based on ebay listings about 99% of their production was straight razors as only about one of 100 listings on average are for the safety razors. Any members in or near Reno are welcome to stop by to see these unusual items. Message me to arrange a visit.

CVH4SS-2.jpg
CVH4SS-5.jpg

A neat thread but too many of the old posts no longer have their associated photos. I presume due to photo hosting sites disappearing in many instances, A total pain as it makes the posts pretty useless.
I am a member of a surplus mil firearm forum that copies any posted image link content to their own file server so it can always be retrieved. Possible to do that here I wonder?

I am a member of a surplus mil firearm forum that copies any posted image link content to their own file server so it can always be retrieved. Possible to do that here I wonder?

IMO a good idea but too late for many photos that seem to be gone unless there are file backups somewhere with the old photos included. Be a good idea for those that remain. All my photos are direct uploads to B&B from my computer. No hosting service used.

The Gillette Old Type that belonged to my Grandfather.

I can't find anything similar to it on the net, and believe me, I've tried.

It's clearly a Canadian ball end Gillette Old Type with no date code (not that I can see at least), but the sides of the head are the style of a New.

Wow. I had no idea that such fatboys existed. Thanks for posting it.

I've been outbid for a Gnat 2 times in 2 years. I don't see them very often. Need one so if you start downsizing here I am.

My rarest? I guess these 2 are good candidates not sure which is the rarer though: Green leather cased 1929 Gillette England 4-Piece Traveler I lucked out on over a year ago. Didn't realize the color was special until Achim pointed it out as being one of the rarest he had seen.

And a prototype? Gillette Fatboy Executive with no markings or stamps on the base plate except for a tiny etched number.

This one still has me scratching my head. Gillette won't disclose any info regarding processes or methods so I can't find anything out specific about the number. Would love to know what exactly these were for and what was supposed to happen to them after that. I assume they were to be handed back in for disposal. Patiently waiting for someone else here to discover one like it or fill in the blanks in the mystery.

Since photobucket probably ruined most of what I threw up here, this is a very rare one I keep in rotation so it is at hand-a Miller wave. One side shaves with shavette/straight razor geometry, the other side is mild regular open comb. It's extremely potent.
20170908_094204.jpg
20170908_094217.jpg
20170908_094248.jpg
20170908_094302.jpg

Top Bottom