What's new

Your rarest razor

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Let's please keep this thread on topic, gents ... your rare razors.

Mine might be my 1932 Golf ASAN

With its machined brass head, nickel and silver plated parts, I'm always in awe when I use it. Interesting and unique design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Castilla OC roller guard. I'm aware of 6 examples of these, Robert Waits was unaware of their existence when queried.

View attachment 716956

$castilla-box.jpg

The roller spins very freely and serves to catch lather and re-apply it to the face. A simple, durable, and effective design.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Castilla OC roller guard. I'm aware of 6 examples of these, Robert Waits was unaware of their existence when queried.
The roller spins very freely and serves to catch lather and re-apply it to the face. A simple, durable, and effective design.

Beautiful. Argentina, right?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yep, Argentina. Someone else here at B&B has one (or two possibly).

I remember vaguely but thought the handle was different -- I don't remember the six-sided bolt head look.

Your looks good, how's the shave, mild or not?

I wouldn't call a 1912 rare, but this one is extra special. It was mis stuck and slipped through QC. On the back the Y is missing, and inside I got the next guy's E.

Attachments

• $DSCF9234.jpg
    $DSCF9234.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 98
  • $DSCF9233.jpg
    $DSCF9233.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I remember vaguely but thought the handle was different -- I don't remember the six-sided bolt head look.

Your looks good, how's the shave, mild or not?

Yes, the one that he for sure had bought had a different handle. From another forum someone has the same razor and his has a different and later patent number than mine. So they seem to have made some subtle changes. The box I have confirms a hex end handle.

It's not mild but with practice it doesn't bite either. The roller gives feedback and guides the angle in that it stops spinning if you disengage it by riding the top cap for example. It provides an amazing glide same as the other makers' roller guard razors I've tried. I feel that this Argentinian ‎ design is an improvement over some others in that by using the entire length of the bar as a bearing surface this ensures that the roller function will last generations without any meaningful wear.

My Canadian Regent NEW LC. It has a brass handle that looks like a Merkur 33C. I haven't seen another one outside of this forum besides mine.

I like that Castilla razor. I assume the rollers work a bit like an auger and move lather along sideways if it's thick enough? Did they reverse the directionality of the rollers on each side?
They both turn in the same direction. In practice the lather does not bunch up on one side, the roller behaves as if it were not an auger as it recycles the lather to skin, at least at the thickness of lather I use.

This is my favorite design of roller. Out of curiosity I looked into getting springs made in the same diameter wire and winding. An online spring quote generator suggested that they may be hard to produce wound to that small of a diameter. But obviously it's been done before. I'd like to see someone produce a razor like this in stainless or brass. I would like others to experience an open comb roller guard razor and it would probably have to be new since the Castilla razors don't turn up for sale very often.

Top Bottom