What's new

Your Opinion - Best dressed man of all time

I think that the Duke of Windsor is hard to beat. The man was always immaculately attired.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm gonna have to fall in with the Cary Grant or Frank Sinatra crowd. Both dressed with class and a timeless style.

It is hard to argue with Cary Grant as being fabulously well dressed, very consistently.

Sinatra wore the heck of a tux that is for sure and could wear a hat and sports coat well. Not all of us look good in a hat. But he was not quite so consistent as someone like Grant, much less like the Duke of Windsor! <g> Again, I am not saying that any of use should spend the tme and money the D of W spent on his clothing:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Also, Sinatra had a less formal style and did things like wear hats indoors at a time when that would have been considered pretty gauche. His collars were often open and askew (sp?) and his ties loose if not completely unknotted. His hair often it appears intentionallu a bit mussed. It is a nice style, but I do not think it gets one on this kind of best dressed list. It is sort of an anti-best dressed statement that I like a lot. I think we are talking more precise dress here. If not we get off into folks like James Dean or the young Marlon Brando, or various Latin lover-type guys. :001_smile

Last edited:
Thanks for the great pictures of the Duke of Windsor.

Sinatra was great but........I am old enough to remember Frank presenting an Oscar back in the late 1960's. He wore a Nehru Jacket with love beads or maybe a medallion. This might be like painting flames on a Ferrari - might put him out of the running. Although I guess we are all entitled to a mistake or two. Still the best at what he did.

In modern times, I feel the Italians are the best dressed men if they were ever surpassed by anyone. Football men like Roberto Mancini and PM Silvio Berlusconi are fine examples.

Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola always looks good in casual clothes. Guys who get to 40-50 years old and are still slim enough to wear well fitted clothes are able to look more distinguished than any other group, I think.

Prince Charles etc have unlimited funds and live down the road from Savile Row; anyone would look good.

I agree with everyone regarding Frank Sinatra being one of the best dressed men of all time.

The following two are fictional characters that I love the way they dress (actually one fictional, and the other is semi-fictional.) I love the outfits Christopher Plummer wore as Georg Von Trapp in The Sound of Music. If given an opportunity, I would love to have one of the suits remade (btw, The Sound of Music is actually based on a true story, thus not fully making Captain Von Trapp a fictional character.)

Imitation of Life was awesome, and I loved John Asher's outfits played by John Gavin. Looking at the film makes me want to wear cravats more often.

Guys who get to 40-50 years old and are still slim enough to wear well fitted clothes are able to look more distinguished...

Thick or thin, it’s the tailoring that makes clothes well fitting, how they are worn and style choices determine how we look.

I completely agree re the Duke of Windsor, as I said before. But I also agree that his tailor deserves lots of credit. I am embarassed not to know his tailor's name right off the top of my head. I did at one time! EDIT: Frederick Scholte (he was certainly not unknown in his own time!)

By the way, I take it everyone knows how tall the Duke of W was. If you do not take a guess based upon how tall he looks in the various photos.

And if folks do not stop referencing Frank Sinatra as one of the best dressed, I am going to dig out some more photos and post them! :001_smile Hope you like Nehru jackets and medalions!:001_smile:001_smile

proxy.php

Actually FS gets props from me for being willing to give dressing like this a try!

Last edited:
Top Bottom