What's new

YOUR FIRST DE RAZOR?

So you never succumbed to cartridges?
I tried cartridges a few times. I tried the Mach II razor but did not get a good shave with it. I also tried the Techmatic which for me was the worst razor produced. My experiment usually lasted a few weeks before I switched back.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My parents were both born well over a century ago. My mum grew up in a hard-scrabble prairie farm family and came out of that with a sincere appreciation for "modern conveniences" -- like electric light, heat and cooking appliances. She never looked back.

Dad grew up in a hard-scrabble prairie farm family and came out of that as a gadget freak. Between the two of them it was decided that while my older brother started with a DE, the kid was gonna start like a modern man with an electric razor. So at 14 I got one of Dad's old Norelco razors. If I had known then what I know now...

I moved back to the farm 25 years ago. Different farm, but we light as often with non-electric as with electric. Winter mornings involve firing up the cookstove in the kitchen; winter evenings involve firing up the woodstove in the living room. Any tool that gets used farther away than an extension cord can reach is powered by beer and sandwiches.

So my first DE was/is a Merkur 38C, because it was what was for sale when I went looking locally. Still have it, but it'll probably go (fairly soon) to my son. Now that he's graduated uni, it's time to ditch the carts and canned slime and shave like a man (heh) with a real blade.

O.H.

I am 50 and have no recollection of what my 1st razor was. But after 35 years of cartridges and the odd electric you can bet your bottom dollar I will always remember and be grateful for that stupid (glorious) Van der Hagen TTO at my local super market.

yep that's what got me last September.

this coming from a bic 2 blade disposable user who sometimes didnt bother with barbasol or any cream. I even excalibur clubbed those until completely spent. not because of money.......just didnt give it much thought.

camo

A Merkur 42C -1904. I had no clue what I was buying but B&B made me want to give this whole DE thing a shot. Cheapest one I could find (just in case I didn’t like wet shaving). Needless to say, 12 years later I’m still here. 😁

I started with a Slim Adjustable, the same one Dad used. Some time after that I went to the Trac-II which at the time seemed to be more efficient. I had a beard for a while so didn't have to shave much of my face. I used the twin-blade disposables for many years as they were actually cheaper than the carts.

At one point I remember having both Dad's and my Slims. I searched high and low for them when I got back into DE shaving to no avail. I'd still like to find them but I'm running out of places to look.

If you are over 60, it is a fair guess that your first razor was a double-edged job. If so, can you remember what it was and if and how you converted to a twin-blade cartridge offering? Mine was a Gillette Slim Twist with a white or ivory handle. I never quarreled with it, but never really developed any great affection for it either. I must have had it for quite some time, before a girlfriend replaced it with the inevitable piece of modern trash.
Brother Fuzzy,

So did you replace the girl friend, or did you end up marrying her?

Brother Steve,

Yes, I did end up marrying her. You are very astute. Not only did I suffer the loss of my Slim Twist, but she had the gall to use the cartridge replacement on her legs.

Fuzzy

I am 67 years old. I think actually I started with the Schick Injector S/E System because my older brother had one and it was kind of popular at that time. I then switched to a Gillette DE slim adjustable sometime before I got married in 1975. I don't remember why i switched. Then around the early 1980's I switched to the Gillette Trac II. Later started just using twin blade disposables for a few years. After that went back and forth between the twin blades and my DE razor which I still had and then around 2005 I pretty much switched over full time to the DE shaving and started buying vintage Gillette razors on Ebay and blades on Ebay and Amazon etc.

First DE razor was acquired few years ago and it was Wilkinson sword plastic razor from local drugstore, at the time only DE razor readily available in my country (things didn't improve much lol). A few weeks later Edwinn Jagger DE89L arrived in the mail and with it I had my first succesfull DE shave

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My first DE was a Gillette Adjustable, a hand-me-down from my dad, who had several. Started with Marlin blue blades until the first SS blades came out, then it was Wilkinson Swords all the way. Got stupid when I got to college: junked the DE Gillette for a Techmatic band razor. Big mistake; it was like shaving with ground glass. Too bad about the Gillette DE. Sure wish I had it now.

My first DE was a Gillette Adjustable, a hand-me-down from my dad, who had several. Started with Marlin blue blades until the first SS blades came out, then it was Wilkinson Swords all the way. Got stupid when I got to college: junked the DE Gillette for a Techmatic band razor. Big mistake; it was like shaving with ground glass. Too bad about the Gillette DE. Sure wish I had it now.
Get yourself an identical one. I can also remember the blue blades, but I never shaved with them. My father was delighted when Wilkinson's became available. I think most people were.

My first one was a weshi razor that the pawn stars owner was marketing. Tried it since I got it cheap and liked it. Saved alot of money after that until RAD hit.

Top Bottom