What's new

YOUR FIRST DE RAZOR?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I am 50 and have no recollection of what my 1st razor was. But after 35 years of cartridges and the odd electric you can bet your bottom dollar I will always remember and be grateful for that stupid (glorious) Van der Hagen TTO at my local super market.

I started with a 1967 Gillette Slim Adjustable that I still use to this day. I never converted to cartridge shaving, I’ve wet shave since the being. I’ve been a wet shave for 43 years in March. I started when I was 12 with Shulton Old Spice.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Lost my father at 14yo. Working after school cleaning a local shop to help make ends meet. Later saved a few dollars and bought a Gillette Slim and some 7 o'clock blades as my first. Taught myself from watching my father form years before.

Stayed with the Slim a few years before switching to carts when in the navy. I left carts late last year and took on SR shaving and have never looked back.

Muhle R89. Beautiful, slippery handle, gave me razor burn for months. I thought that it was me until I discovered that most razors don't.

If you are over 60, it is a fair guess that your first razor was a double-edged job. If so, can you remember what it was and if and how you converted to a twin-blade cartridge offering? Mine was a Gillette Slim Twist with a white or ivory handle. I never quarreled with it, but never really developed any great affection for it either. I must have had it for quite some time, before a girlfriend replaced it with the inevitable piece of modern trash.
Hey I’ve got a Slim Twist in my collection. It’s a 1968 model and a really nice shaver. I use it occasionally when I want a break from my Techs.

First DE was a EJ DE89 just last year at the young age of 67. My Dad shaved with a Schick injector either an E or G model. I tried it once and cut the crap out of my face, so an electric razor was my actual first razor. In college I moved to the cartridge de jour of the time (early 70’s). I kept searching for the latest & greatest until last year after I retired and decided to move to a DE for a better and cheaper shave. Well the shave is better, but I stumbled into that rabbit hole. No regrets as now I consider shaving a hobby.

My first razor was a Gillette Tech my father gave me. I used it for a while and replaced it with what is now known as a Fat Boy.

My first DE razor was a $6 combination open and closed comb I ordered in 2017 from China by way of eBay. It was a test to see if I wanted to switch to DE shaving and, if so, whether I wanted a decent open comb or closed comb razor. After a few weeks, I read reviews, decided how much I wanted to spend, and bought a Merkur 23C. The $6 razor really does not shave very well. A BBS shave is difficult to get and does not last very long. I shim the Merkur about .035 of an inch for better performance.

I started shaving in the mid 1960's using an injector razor, most likely a Schick but I can't say for sure. I used it for many years before switching to a Gillette DE sometime in the 1970's. I believe it was a Super Adjustable "black beauty". I did use cartridge razors for a while, I believe it was primarily the Trac II, before switching back to DE razors with the Merkur Progress.

I started with a Sensor in the 90’s and then the sensor excel. Tried the the Mach 3, Fusion, and some Schicks, but preferred the sensor. Always wanted to try a double edge razor as I remember my dad using one in my younger days. Finally discovered Badger and Blade in 2011 and the rest is history. Never going back to cartridge unless it’s a
Gillette Guard and I’m traveling. Oh and my first DE razor was a Merkur Progress followed by a plethora of others both new and used.

yes, I remember it. In fact I still have it. It was my grandfather's. A Gillette new style. He would toss it in the drawer and I would use it after him. Pretty sure the cream was Gillette foamy.

20200127_121910.jpg

R

romsitsa

My dads or his brothers Super slim twist was my first. In theory TTOs were still available (90ies) but I can’t remember seeing anything but cartridges.

Adam

The very first razor was my father's 3 piece DE razor (don't remember the brand) that I've used to shave my mustache (was a pretty dumb teenager back then).... and after many years of 2 blade disposable and cartrige razors use (bad mistake... didn't knew better) I pulled the plug and bought a Feather Popular.
And down on the rabbit hole......

I'm only 56. My first razor was a Gillette Super adjustable, gold plated. I still have it. All my older brothers learned to shave with it with the possible exception of my oldest brother, who probably started on the Tech which my mom was using by the time I started shaving.

I started with a 1967 Gillette Slim Adjustable that I still use to this day. I never converted to cartridge shaving, I’ve wet shave since the being. I’ve been a wet shave for 43 years in March. I started when I was 12 with Shulton Old Spice.
That sounds like 10 out of 10.

Top Bottom